Page 20 of 64 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Its also hard to explain hard ass work to a lot of people.
    FACT!
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Good one. I'll use that.
    Wooley, did you ever meet Abner Doubleday?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    yeah, but I suspect that’s a generational thing. The correlation between downward social mobility and gravity sports doesn’t seem to be nearly what it used to be.
    Thank Burton for that!

Its also hard to explain hard ass work to a lot of people.
    hustle is an aspiration that crosses a whole lot of different types of “hard work”. Pro cyclists might sleep 10-12 hours a day.

Also a fair amount of people here who were gifted nothing more than an upbringing that instilled good values, ambition, work ethic and a foundation to build on in adulthood.

I know its not your intention but nothing gets my hackles up like discounting the good decision making, sacrifices, hard work and natural talent that got many of us into the position we are today. I was gifted quite a lot by my folks and upbringing, but it was mostly values, priorities and examples (which i realize is invaluable and lacking in poorer communities)... not finances, connections, material resources etc. I have trouble empathizing with many "woe is me" stories from people that don't work/hustle hard- i do feel for the folks that work their ass off and still cannot seem to stay above water.
    Yeah, but are you a great skier?

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Good one. I'll use that.
    "Poor George. He was born on 3rd base and thought he hit a triple." Ann Richards, about GW Bush, about 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Yeah, but are you a great skier?
    Best skier on the mountain.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    It's hard to explain born on second base to a lot of people.
    Not to mention how hard it can be to get to 2nd base for some people. Unless of course you are famous, then you can just go and grab 3rd base, and pretty much do what you want. At least that's what I've heard.
    Last edited by Toadman; 10-26-2021 at 03:57 PM.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Also a fair amount of people here who were gifted nothing more than an upbringing that instilled good values, ambition, work ethic and a foundation to build on in adulthood.

I know its not your intention but nothing gets my hackles up like discounting the good decision making, sacrifices, hard work and natural talent that got many of us into the position we are today. I was gifted quite a lot by my folks and upbringing, but it was mostly values, priorities and examples (which i realize is invaluable and lacking in poorer communities)... not finances, connections, material resources etc. I have trouble empathizing with many "woe is me" stories from people that don't work/hustle hard- i do feel for the folks that work their ass off and still cannot seem to stay above water.
    My parents didnt get anything and so I didnt get or expect anything from them

I got some lucky breaks but I still had to do the time to get where I am and i always played the long game

I'm wondering in this great resignation what exactly is the game ?

and since I always played the long game what is it now ?

and how long is long ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

The Great Resignation ‘21

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    It's very difficult to become a REALLY good skier without the family financial resources to ski 50-100+ days a season for several seasons. If your folks had money to cover that you also had money to at least get in to college and finish if you didn't fuck it up.. Even if you did there were probably resources to still get a good job or take over the family business or start your own business. Not many folks here who truly grew up "poor".
    I’m not a REALLY good skier but I’ve been skiing 50-100+ day seasons since I was 35, 53 now. I’ve been gainfully employed with no financial assistance from anyone since I graduated high school. Lots of people do this without generational wealth. It’s about priorities and sacrifices if you want to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Cue millennials and younger whining about higher tuition costs and massive college loan debt in 3..2....1.... And it's a legit beef! My kids are borrowing a shit ton of money to pay for college. It ain't all coming from me..

Hate to break it to you but in the grand scheme, if you were born white, male and in the US or Canada you were born on 3rd base with a pretty good lead toward home plate.

I’m not a REALLY good skier but I’ve been skiing 50-100+ day seasons since I was 35, 53 now. I’ve been gainfully employed with no financial assistance from anyone since I graduated high school. Lots of people do this without generational wealth. It’s about priorities and sacrifices if you want to do it.
    I am an extremely solid and competent skier, 33 years wearing a cross and spending 4-5 days a week, 8 hrs a day on skis will do that to a person. When I moved west @ 27 I had about 1000 bucks and a POS Pontiac. I sold the Pontiac for beer money and for 6 years I didn't have a car. I lived cheap and skied a lot in the winter and mountain biked my summers and worked as little as possible. I finally started saving for retirement when I was in my mid-30s and started working hard in my late 40s. Seeing how many people reach retirement age only to fall apart physically makes me think I made the right choice.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Cue millennials and younger whining about higher tuition costs and massive college loan debt in 3..2....1.... And it's a legit beef! My kids are borrowing a shit ton of money to pay for college. It ain't all coming from me..
    Im a millennial. I paid for college with some loans but mostly scholarships, many i didnt qualify for. What i learned is that a ton of scholarships went unclaimed every semester at my state school... how do i know that? Because i never had higher than a 3.0 GPA in engineering and held thousands of dollars in scholarships that required a 3.5 or above to qualify for, or were for entirely different majors (business and comm mostly). I would just apply to any and every scholarship i could find regardless of stated qualifications or the amount it was for. People didnt want to write letters for $250/semester scholarships, or likely waste their time applying for scholarships they barely didnt qualify for i guess. Living frugally after college was also key to paying off my loans quickly.

Then i have to hear from my SIL whine about her huge debt load from grad school in marine sciences, when her father paid her full undergrad, and she refuses to work for anyone but non-profits.

A worker in Florida applied to 60 entry-level jobs in September and got one interview
    https://www.businessinsider.com/work...ortage-2021-10

This was very much my experience too some time ago when trying to get ANY job. WTF is going on with these companies? If they're SOOOOO desperate for workers and all have "now hiring" signs, then why is so tough to get an interview? It's kind of strange. Are they still trying to milk Federal handouts saying they're still being impacted by COVID or what? Almost seems intentional. Also annoying is that gone are the days when you could simply walk into a business, ask to talk to a manger, shake some hands, and often walk out with a new job. Now you go in and you're told "You'll need to apply online." And THAT'S where I think most applications get auto-filtered out by bots, never to be seen by human eyes. Perhaps that's where the root of the problem lies with all of these so-called "worker shortages." I'm not buying it that everyone's living on the government dime these days. It's just not enough to live on in the long run. Most people still need jobs, and I'm willing to bet there's a ton of people actively searching dealing with the same trouble finding work as the person in that Business Insider article.

Yet another challenge that the younger generations are having to deal with on top of everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Hate to break it to you but in the grand scheme, if you were born white, male and in the US or Canada you were born on 3rd base with a pretty good lead toward home plate.

I am an extremely solid and competent skier, 33 years wearing a cross and spending 4-5 days a week, 8 hrs a day on skis will do that to a person. When I moved west @ 27 I had about 1000 bucks and a POS Pontiac. I sold the Pontiac for beer money and for 6 years I didn't have a car. I lived cheap and skied a lot in the winter and mountain biked my summers and worked as little as possible. I finally started saving for retirement when I was in my mid-30s and started working hard in my late 40s. Seeing how many people reach retirement age only to fall apart physically makes me think I made the right choice.
    Eh, id say i was born with a bat in my hands, as opposed to some who are given a log and a pocketknife and told to get whittling.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    A worker in Florida applied to 60 entry-level jobs in September and got one interview

This was very much my experience too some time ago when trying to get ANY job. WTF is going on with these companies? If they're SOOOOO desperate for workers and all have "now hiring" signs, then why is so tough to get an interview? It's kind of strange. Are they still trying to milk Federal handouts saying they're still being impacted by COVID or what? Almost seems intentional. Also annoying is that gone are the days when you could simply walk into a business, ask to talk to a manger, shake some hands, and often walk out with a new job. Now you go in and you're told "You'll need to apply online." And THAT'S where I think most applications get auto-filtered out by bots, never to be seen by human eyes. Perhaps that's where the root of the problem lies with all of these so-called "worker shortages." I'm not buying it that everyone's living on the government dime these days. It's just not enough to live on in the long run. Most people still need jobs, and I'm willing to bet there's a ton of people actively searching dealing with the same trouble finding work as the person in that Business Insider article.

Yet another challenge that the younger generations are having to deal with on top of everything else.
    what if I told you “desperate for workers” storys were bullshit?

60 (im sure halfassed) applications to random companies and got 21 responses. Thats one HELLUVA lot better than i did back in 2011.

And, my company is desperate for workers. But we aren't taking unqualified, uncaring people just to fill office space.

Now that we've established that we're all entitled candy asses and most of you can't ski back on topic..

I know this has been posted in at least two other threads.. but THIS is a big reason people are quitting service industry gigs.

No pay is enough to put up with actual entitled assholes like this fuckstick.. And, they're fucking everywhere..

https://twitter.com/i/status/1452752299558846470

From the article “ Then, he widened the test and spent the remainder of the month applying to jobs — mostly at employers vocal about a lack of workers — and tracking his journey in a spreadsheet.”

The employers are virtue signaling to their Facebook friends about not being able to hire.

(I know people struggling to hire, so know this isn’t 100% the case. They also work for companies that don’t want to help them out by paying more.)

And, my company is desperate for workers. But we aren't taking unqualified, uncaring people just to fill office space.
    so you aren’t actually desperate.

reminds me of startup land where everyone wanted to hire a senior RF engineer, because a great one would be great, but nobody actually would hire the senior rf engineers available

I realize that I had a step up being born white and being born when I was, that doesn’t change the fact that I made good choices based on my priorities. I realized at an early age that leisure time was more important to me than money or status.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Name:  ezgif-4-6277c0817ba3.gif
Views: 281
Size:  733.3 KB
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

The fact that my parents got much better property loan offers, so I got to go to better schools, and was let go by the police for DOZENS AND DOZENS of things friends who aren't white (looked like they couldn't afford a good lawyer) did real jail time for is proof enough for me that I was definitely born on 2nd base. Only had to work part time for party money when I was in college. If you went to a decent high school because your parents found suitable housing in a neighborhood with a nice high school you were born on first base.. even if you had to pay for college or made your own different way AFTER that on your own..

It's very difficult to become a REALLY good skier without the family financial resources to ski 50-100+ days a season for several seasons. If your folks had money to cover that you also had money to at least get in to college and finish if you didn't fuck it up.. Even if you did there were probably resources to still get a good job or take over the family business or start your own business. Not many folks here who truly grew up "poor".
    Those of us who spent our early years skiing 200 vertical foot ice lumps in the midwest might differ.

I concede my parents chipped in around $9k for my college expenses, but papa was a physics professor.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Hate to break it to you but in the grand scheme, if you were born white, male and in the US or Canada you were born on 3rd base with a pretty good lead toward home plate
    Yup, I have said that to anyone who needed to hear that forever. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to acknowledge the great place and time we were born into over the last 70 years. No shame, but don't act to special either unless you really did something with your life like found a life saving cure for millions. So go fuck yourself Elon. In the grand scheme of things you are here to contribute billions to improve society. Maybe then you will be able to tote your own horn.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    so you aren’t actually desperate.

reminds me of startup land where everyone wanted to hire a senior RF engineer, because a great one would be great, but nobody actually would hire the senior rf engineers available
    Im not sure you grasp this, but hiring a boat anchor of an employee does not ease the circumstances that created the desperate need to hire. In most cases it worsens them.