Page 50 of 64 FirstFirst ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 1590
    Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    You’re probably right about that. Dang, should have moved to NC!
    I think now you have to live in state SEVERAL years before they'll give you in state tuition status. Back in the 80s it was just having to register a vehicle and have a DL for a year. Way harder these days..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    UNC for $3,500 is fantasyland for the ~20% of applicants who get in.

https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator...99120#expenses
    That was per semester, tuition only. According to your link 24.5k for a year all in. So a third the cost of SU?

And I still agree, harder than it used to be. And fair or not fair, harder than it should be.

You’re probably right about that. Dang, should have moved to NC!
    Nah, you're better off in E Idaho.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    so do you wear athletic fit depends now? “Just get a degree, any degree!”
    Besides just generally being an argumentative dick, why are you opposed to having the conversation with numbers from other options?

Both of mine out of state right now (MT, UT,). With both, it was better to get them to be in-state residents for the tuition breaks (1/3 the cost of out-of-state) vs remaining dependents for tax purposes. Very easy in UT to do without disruption, MT makes you be a part-time student for 1 yr before they convert to in-state. One kid works more than he should (night manager at Safeway, now @22/hr) and is a slacker in school, it's the 5-6 year plan. I bought him his Bridger pass for his bday, he pays for his own gold pass to BS. The other has part time jobs but is really focused on getting the most out of school and may end up lapping the older one through. We started 529's when they were born, they should exit debt free unless they choose spendy grad school choices, but then they'll be on their own.

I'm not saying Phoenix U is the same as Yale etc, but there's a lot of middle ground and career choices where whatever school you went to means zero fucks to most and even less just a few yrs into a career. Have fun, learn something, enjoy the ride.

Kids are expensive. Sure I could have funneled the 529 into a 401K and padded the early retirement instead. But if it was only about money...I wouldn't have had them become skiers. Collectively spent at least as much or more on skiing for them over the years than the bills for college.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Don’t entirely agree. Until a degree is valued on an even playing field from a school like Syracuse vs my local community college it’s not really fair to say someone should/could have just went with the school with a $3000 semester tuition vs a $36000 tuition.

IE getting a degree from the more expensive school will probably give someone an edge over someone who went to a lesser known, less expensive school.
    There's also plenty of expensive state schools. UNH is around 31500 per year for in-state with everything. 80-90k doesn't sound like a lot until you look at entry level salary vs living costs in major cities

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    We started 529's when they were born, they should exit debt free unless they choose spendy grad school choices, but then they'll be on their own.
    See, all the people whining about their student loans should've just been born with rich parents who could afford to save for college since their birth. If everyone just did it this way they wouldn't have to take out student loans. Damn, irresponsible millennials!

Some of the entitlement in this thread is disgusting.

If you have little kids now open up a 529 plan. I opened a New York one when my kid was born.

Birthdays and Xmas I tell family to not send them some piece of shit plastic toys, put money in the 529 account instead.

Wife and I also kick some in from time to time. 12-13 more years we should have most of a reasonable college tuition saved up.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

meal plan is <$20 a day for food. Lemme guess, you ate roadkill in college with zz?

its Pretty fucking hard to have empathy for dumbass engineer millenials who trade in cliche and think that’s a skill, but that’s tgr.
    Damn, there were time when i barely spent $20/week on food. 10lb bag of potatoes $1.99, 12pack of Nalleys chili $10, Two dozen eggs $4, brick of cheese $4. Shoot, i still dont spend close to $20/day on food. Must be nice living that bougie lifestyle my guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    I'm not saying Phoenix U is the same as Yale etc, but there's a lot of middle ground and career choices where whatever school you went to means zero fucks to most and even less just a few yrs into a career. .
    So, so true. the name on the diploma helps getting your entry level job, but 5 years into your career its all about results and how good you are at your job. If you kill it at your job and attend industry events you will have a network as good or better than any network a name brand school will have given you. What have you done for me lately? Not, what did you do 10 years ago between the ages of 18 and 22?

Quote Originally Posted by total_immortal View Post
    See, all the people whining about their student loans should've just been born with rich parents who could afford to save for college since their birth. If everyone just did it this way they wouldn't have to take out student loans. Damn, irresponsible millennials!

Some of the entitlement in this thread is disgusting.
    Yep, I have $500 taken out every paycheck split between my kids and it should barely be enough if no other aid is there.

Dealing drugs to your classmates can make college pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's this obsession with mankind attempting to improve things?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    If you have little kids now open up a BTC wallet.

Birthdays and Xmas I tell family to not send them some piece of shit plastic toys, put money in the BTC wallet instead.

Wife and I also kick some in from time to time. 12-13 more years we all will be set for life.
    FIFY.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    What's this obsession with mankind attempting to improve things?
    Srsly. I thought we'd given up on that, as a "society"?

Last I looked UCal had $0 tuition.
    Just tuition-sized fees.
    Apparently that mattered when it came to claiming GI benefits, although I believe that was straightened out.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Besides just generally being an argumentative dick, why are you opposed to having the conversation with numbers from other options?
    I posted numbers you disingenuous dick. They just don’t support your emotion driven argument and that aggravates your hemorrhoids. Now have your warm sherry, watch matlock, and commune with californiagrown about glory days and recipes for roadkill squirrel Chile with government cheese.

UVm is pretty fucking expensive for a state University.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Jezuz, man, college was practically free when we were kids. Now, it's like half a house.
    Too bad you boomers have consistently voted to make it so college now costs a fortune.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Too bad you boomers have consistently voted to make it so college now costs a fortune.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    if Benny didn’t make the kids today walk uphill both ways he’d get shown up even more

I posted numbers you disingenuous dick. They just don’t support your emotion driven argument and that aggravates your hemorrhoids. Now have your warm sherry, watch matlock, and commune with californiagrown about glory days and recipes for roadkill squirrel Chile with government cheese.
    Nailed it. But I’m not actually sure what you think I’m for/against or what agenda I have? Maybe you can read back through more carefully. Anyway, it’s obviously very grating to you.

Back in the day college money was the main reason most enlisted in the military..

Doesn't work out too well anymore..

https://www.politico.com/story/2013/...eterans-096487
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I gave in today. Spent the lose change in my checking account on some shares of Nasdaq composite.
    Shit keeps going up.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Spent the lose change in my checking account on some shares of Nasdaq composite.
    quality typo.

Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post
    quality typo.
    Indeed.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I'd go further lecturing Inuit on papaya varieties.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<