Page 49 of 64 FirstFirst ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 1590
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    There's going to be a lot of carnage in that mid market of schools, btw. At those prices, if it ain't ivy league, nobody is going to buy.
    there’s been carnage, but the ivys ain’t everything media dicksucker

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Jezuz, man, college was practically free when we were kids. Now, it's like half a house.
    It wouldn't matter cuz I didnt go, I got my Gig by hanging out with the service mangers kid and fixing his hot mustang and I was made at 18 but enough about all the shit I did

OK it sounds like a tougher go to make it nowdays but i still wana know what kids are contributing to their education nowdays?

we all did whatever to get along, made decsisions good, or bad, had divorces or 2, lost jobs went left shoulda gone right, got thru whatever to make it,

So where i'm going with it IS if you give it all to a kid what has he learned and is he allowed to fail ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    but i still wana know what kids are contributing to their education nowdays?
    they don’t gibbet the olds

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Some tgr work from home sales drone can pick the cheapest state school around with instate tuition but gfy.
    The three four year public universities here hover around $8,000/yr in-state tuition. Full-time summer work, part-time school year work, scholarships and grants, and modest student loans will get you a four year degree from a university most employers here will respect. That's without any parental subsidy and if one is at all able to live on the cheap. GFY.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    The three four year public universities here hover around $8,000/yr in-state tuition. Full-time summer work, part-time school year work, scholarships and grants, and modest student loans will get you a four year degree from a university most employers here will respect. That's without any parental subsidy and if one is at all able to live on the cheap. GFY.
    Idaho says $22,254 a year total cost. That’s $10.75/hr working full time year round to pay for it. In a state where minimum wage is $7.25/hr

there’s been carnage, but the ivys ain’t everything media dicksucker
    I'll have skim in my latte, state schooler.

Idaho says $22,254 a year total cost. That’s $10.75/hr working full time year round to pay for it. In a state where minimum wage is $7.25/hr
    Says $8k for the year in terms of tuition and fees for instate... https://www.collegetuitioncompare.co...ate%20students. And another 12K for living expenses.

Get $5k in scholarships (fairly normal), work a part time gig for another $10k/year and you come out of school with $20k in debt. Not that tough to pay off $20k in student loan debt.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Actually says $8k for the year in terms of tuition and fees for instate... https://www.collegetuitioncompare.co...ate%20students.

An honestly, who in their right mind wants to go to fucking Moscow as an out of state student?
    Actually it says $22,254 total cost, dumbfuck.
    https://www.uidaho.edu/financial-aid/cost-of-attendance

and they offer out of state incentives to attract students.

Actually it says $22,254 total cost, dumbfuck.
    https://www.uidaho.edu/financial-aid/cost-of-attendance

and they offer out of state incentives to attract students.
    Yep, i changed my post when i realized you were talking about total cost. the cost you posted assumes school housing and meal plan... both of which are much more expensive the private housing and cooking for oneself like most UofI students do. But yeah, $20k/year shouldnt leave a graduate with anything resembling insurmountable debt if they arent completely blowing it at life.

And point still stands, who in their right mind from out of state wants to go to Moscow, ID? Jsut go 8 miles west and everything is a better version of U of I.

they don’t gibbet the olds

Yet.

Although I would rather see a maximum voting age. Once you are eligible to start collecting Social Security, you no longer have the right to vote. Same rule applies to serving in elected office. Once you're SS eligible, you're out.

So nobody's The Great Resignation quitting a full time job to live the college life unless their parents are doing well and setting aside at least half the total cost, Our college kid's currently a shift manager at Jack in the Box. He's doing that for his party money and non cafeteria food. I think he's working about 20- 25 hours a week, Made all As on his math and engineering mid terms so he's got it dialed in pretty well now. Last year he almost lost his financial aid, failed the math class before he discovered the Math Lab I kept telling him to go check out.. Glad he's not checking out the Meth Lab..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

The Great Resignation ‘21

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Succinct and factual. Inflating numbers and choosing expensive private schools as an average/baseline makes the conversation divisive.
    Don’t entirely agree. Until a degree is valued on an even playing field from a school like Syracuse vs my local community college it’s not really fair to say someone should/could have just went with the school with a $3000 semester tuition vs a $36000 tuition.

IE getting a degree from the more expensive school will probably give someone an edge over someone who went to a lesser known, less expensive school.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Don’t entirely agree. Until a degree is valued on an even playing field from a school like Syracuse vs my local community college it’s not really fair to say someone should/could have just went with the school with a $3000 semester tuition vs a $36000 tuition.

IE getting a degree from the more expensive school will probably give someone an edge over someone who went to a lesser known, less expensive school.
    In state tuition at the University of NC is $3500. I doubt an undergrad from Syracuse gives much of an advantage over UNC in most fields?

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    Fair? what the fuck is fair?

I did 4 years in the pen, worked part time and i came out fine with a degree and a pile of loans. care to guess what happened next? i got a job and paid the loans off!!!!! Is that fair?

I'm wondering what means "fair" and why you think your dreamt up perspective of "fairness" even applies to this situation?

i get a bit ruffled with this whole "Government should pay off all student loans" bullshit. People signed up, got loans, went to school, got a degree, and AS AGREED TO PREVIOUSLY, they now have loans to pay off upon gradumacation. No surprises there, right?
    Let’s, for a minute, assume that freeing up all the funds gobbled up by the 6.8% interest rate and exorbitant tuition boosted the economy so greatly that you personally would see a significant net benefit in your wages and/or investments. Would you stick to your - well I had to work hard for it so it’s not fair that someone else doesn’t have to - position?

Most would piss and moan Not Fair!!. Human Nature.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

$7.25 is minimum. No one is making minimum here. McDonalds is starting at $14/hr and offering to work around college schedules. If you're making $10.75, it's because you're too good to work at McDonalds. I know the owner of the franchises here. He'll hire college students if he can get them to apply. And $22k is all in for school, a place to live, food, and estimated transportation and personal expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    Ok, now compare the cost to go to UI in say 2000 versus minimum wage in 2021 and 2000 and tell me if it is easier or harder to make that work.

No one is arguing that it is impossible to work through college, many of us did it. The question is, is that harder or easier than it used to be?

Everything I’ve read indicate the cost of college is increasing at roughly double the rate of inflation.
    Having gone to UI and BSU in 2000, I'll tell you. Minimum wage was $7.25. I usually made $8-9 at part-time jobs during the school year. $10-15 in the summer in a metal shop, farming, and construction working full-time during the summer and saved that living with my parents during those months. Tuition was about $2,500 a year. I had decent scholarships which picked up all school fees and stipend for some room and board. My parents' income qualified me for a few grants and I did take a few student loans out over the years which I paid back by 30.

Now, kids are probably making $10-15/hr and tuition is $8,000k. My off-campus rent with roommates averaged $300-400 per month. I've been told it's probably closer to $6-700 now which tracks with inflation. I ran some quick numbers and these schools are increasing at about double inflation like you said for tuition. Seems like rent and other costs are tracking with inflation. I'm not saying getting a four year degree now without parent assistance is easy but it's not impossible here unless you're too good to go to a public school. As I walk around the office here where the low end salary is about $45k and the top guy in the office is $450k. Diplomas from UI, BSU, UNLV, Fresno St, ISU and one University of Phoenix on the walls.

Sure, it's a little tougher here but not as hard as people make it out to be. Plus, BSU is a commuter campus so it's possible to take a lot of night classes and work during the day. I did that about half of my college stint and kids are still doing it today.

Lol, I went to SU for free, you can see what that place did for my math!

Since 1970 the cost of a 4 yr public college has gone up 3.5x faster than inflation.
    https://www.yahoo.com/now/average-co...122000732.html

In state tuition at the University of NC is $3500. I doubt an undergrad from Syracuse gives much of an advantage over UNC in most fields?
    You’re probably right about that. Dang, should have moved to NC!

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    Ok, now compare the cost to go to UI in say 2000 versus minimum wage in 2021 and 2000 and tell me if it is easier or harder to make that work.

No one is arguing that it is impossible to work through college, many of us did it. The question is, is that harder or easier than it used to be?

Everything I’ve read indicate the cost of college is increasing at roughly double the rate of inflation.
    It is harder. No doubt about it. How much harder is up for debate IMO.

How much of college expenses did parents pay (on average) in 2000, vs how much they contribute in 2021? Arent college savings accounts pretty common nowadays for parents compared to parents of yesteryear? Are scholarship amounts increasing as well?

IDK, it can be hard to have empathy for college kids who are pretty obviously at college only for the social side, who dont work, arent pursuing a carreer they are passionate about or will make them good money, (they just picked an easy major), arent actively searching out scholarships etc. i never had that free, easy ride- i had to work hard and sacrifice to make college work... so it rubs me the wrong way to hear kids and peers whine about college loans without having worked and sacrificed.

UNC for $3,500 is fantasyland for the ~20% of applicants who get in.

https://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator...99120#expenses

so do you wear athletic fit depends now? “Just get a degree, any degree!”

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    You’re probably right about that. Dang, should have moved to NC!
    Well we were looking at both UNC and Oklahoma in 2020. Out of state everything at OU was a little under IN STATE everything at UNC. But you have to go to school in Oklahoma hahaha. Seriously though, Norman is a little blue dot there surrounded by 'Murika. I think the financial aid and grants were a little better at Oklahoma. Oklahoma is also easier to get accepted at..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

IDK, it can be hard to have empathy for college kids who are pretty obviously at college only for the social side, who dont work, arent pursuing a carreer they are passionate about or will make them good money, (they just picked an easy major), arent actively searching out scholarships etc. i never had that free, easy ride- i had to work hard and sacrifice to make college work... so it rubs me the wrong way to hear kids and peers whine about college loans without having worked and sacrificed.
    Totally - It’s not like the old days when you went to college to dodge the draft.

Yep, i changed my post when i realized you were talking about total cost. the cost you posted assumes school housing and meal plan... both of which are much more expensive the private housing and cooking for oneself like most UofI students do. But yeah, $20k/year shouldnt leave a graduate with anything resembling insurmountable debt if they arent completely blowing it at life.

And point still stands, who in their right mind from out of state wants to go to Moscow, ID? Jsut go 8 miles west and everything is a better version of U of I.
    meal plan is <$20 a day for food. Lemme guess, you ate roadkill in college with zz?

its Pretty fucking hard to have empathy for dumbass engineer millenials who trade in cliche and think that’s a skill, but that’s tgr.