Page 11 of 64 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    Chinese real estate developer defaulting on their loans causing a bigger market crash than 2009.
    You have zero knowledge of how international finance is intertwined, I see.

Damnit, I responded.

Quote Originally Posted by LegoSkier View Post
    Self checkout would be way better if the US used the Italian supermarket method for produce. i.e. have multiple computers + scales in the produce section so you weigh and get a barcode sticker there which you can just scan at the checkout instead of having to clog up that line punching a 5 deep touchscreen menu looking for serrano peppers or chantrelles or whatever.
    Same with bulk foods. Two things I buy a lot of and the main reason I hate self checkout.
    Eventually you start to memorize the numbers for produce.

I agree, though - that method for produce would be quite nice.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Re: Self Checkout

You still patronizing the full-service gas stations as well? You still have those in TX?

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Me in my car with my goods and my receipt driving away.. You, stuck in line behind some person trying to cash/use three different welfare checks then pulling a 20 out of their pocket to pay for smokes..
    You didn't need to throw welfare and smokes in there. That's a bit of an asshole move. You could just as easily be behind me, buying a week's worth of shit for 4-6 people, depending on who is home from school. The teenagers eat a lot. And when thing #1 is doing field work, she eats a lot too. So there.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    You didn't need to throw welfare and smokes in there. That's a bit of an asshole move. You could just as easily be behind me, buying a week's worth of shit for 4-6 people, depending on who is home from school. The teenagers eat a lot. And when thing #1 is doing field work, she eats a lot too. So there.
    It's thrown in there because it represents a 4th transaction. It's not personal and could certainly be some old lady writing a check then forgetting/remembering she wanted smokes too. Cool your jets.. FWIW, my kids worked at Food Lion as cashiers for the past year and a half, now working other venues. I worked retail and retail management for over 10 years in a past life. I've earned my retail bitch at the people and processes card many times over.

I've also lived off the gubberment teet for over a year while I was a smoker..

How about you?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    You still patronizing the full-service gas stations as well? You still have those in TX?

Haha. That comparison would be true if the grocery store only sold ONE item, but alas.

Self checkout is mostly appealing these days because the stores have scaled back their manning on regular aisles so much. Wal-Mart was the pioneer in this phenomenon of having 50 checkout lanes and only ONE of them open, so yeah, of course self-checkout is quicker. Now everyone else seems to be following suit. Home Depot and Lowes are about as bad.

And yeah, it's annoying when the machine requires an attendant when you try to purchase age-restricted items, need a price override (because all too conveniently the sale prices don't ring up), or try and cancel an item you accidentally scanned twice or something. And then said attendant is frantically trying to help out like 10 customers at once (see what the stores did there?), so you still have to wait just as long as before. Actually longer in some instances. It's convenient sometimes, but other times it can be a real pain.

Besides, they really should give you at least a tiny discount for you doing the work of employees they now don't have to pay for.

I can deal with self checkout, but the self serve bars are where I draw the line.

FWIW my local Lowes had no self checkout lanes until covid, after most had already adopted them. When asked the mgt said it was because they wanted to keep more workers employed.

Post-covid is a different story.

Again, if I'm just buying an extension cord I want the self checkout. If I have a cart or dolly full of stuff I'd rather have an employee scan it for me.

Ideal world has both.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    I looked at staying in (not opting out) as doing my part for the greater good. Opting out would have required to pay some insurance company premiums for the rest of my life (because if you stop paying, you don't get the benefit). I rather the state make money off me and use it to help out broke, old, homeless people, than make some insurance company rich.
    Some of my colleagues have opted to get a plan, register for the exemption, then terminate the plan after a few months.

Also heard that you can opt out with no proof of coverage. They may or may not request proof in the future. This may be considered fraud but there is no affidavit.

I opted to just pay it, it’s well under $1k a year for now for me and I don’t plan on making that much more money in the future. I’ll probably never make over $200k and don’t plan to.

I just hope the state will do some kind of follow up to ensure those folks that got exempted actually maintain coverage. Maybe it will fall on the employer to ask for exemption proof at time of hire?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

It's thrown in there because it represents a 4th transaction. It's not personal and could certainly be some old lady writing a check then forgetting/remembering she wanted smokes too. Cool your jets.. FWIW, my kids worked at Food Lion as cashiers for the past year and a half, now working other venues. I worked retail and retail management for over 10 years in a past life. I've earned my retail bitch at the people and processes card many times over.

I've also lived off the gubberment teet for over a year while I was a smoker..

How about you?
    It still doesn't give you the right to bitch about welfare or smokers. Your statement is like saying you're not a racist because you have black friends. And then proceeding to say something racist.

I've never been on full-on welfare. I've never had SNAP/food stamps. We qualified for WIC with all three kids. And for a short while we had Dr Dynasaur health insurance for the kids because we were below the income limit. Governor Dean really did a solid for VT with his programs. The short periods of time that I smoked tobacco I never purchased it from a grocery store where they had to go unlock it. It was long enough ago that many places I could help myself to the smokes.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    I must be of the last generation to grow up like this, but I didn’t have day care, my mom just brought me to all these older ladies’ houses in the neighborhood when I was little, and paid college and neighborhood kids to watch me when I was a little older.

I think people don’t really do that anymore, and it’s maybe a shame. I had a real potpourri of different households and stuff from that process. I drive through town and just remember some houses: that house had a comfortable basement with couches and stuff, that one had a big fish tank, that one was a huge mess with clothes and toys everywhere….etc.
    She was taking advantage of the fact that many homes could get by on one income then (as a large part of the equation).
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    FWIW my local Lowes had no self checkout lanes until covid, after most had already adopted them. When asked the mgt said it was because they wanted to keep more workers employed.

Post-covid is a different story.

Again, if I'm just buying an extension cord I want the self checkout. If I have a cart or dolly full of stuff I'd rather have an employee scan it for me.

Ideal world has both.
    I highly doubt lowes wants to keep people employed.

self checkouts often have theft issues.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    It still doesn't give you the right to bitch about welfare or smokers. Your statement is like saying you're not a racist because you have black friends. And then proceeding to say something racist.

I've never been on full-on welfare. I've never had SNAP/food stamps. We qualified for WIC with all three kids. And for a short while we had Dr Dynasaur health insurance for the kids because we were below the income limit. Governor Dean really did a solid for VT with his programs. The short periods of time that I smoked tobacco I never purchased it from a grocery store where they had to go unlock it. It was long enough ago that many places I could help myself to the smokes.
    Or like saying I AM black then saying something whatever.. I've been the exact person I'm now complaining about being stuck behind. If there are no other options I grin and bear it. I'll even put their stuff on my bill if it's something easily solved that way.. like an item that doesn't count on their SNAP but obviously needed. But, if there is a different checkout option where those issues aren't as likely I'm over there

Call it what you want... I call it reasons it sucks to not have another checkout option like self checkout. All kinds of fucked up shit can bringing that line to a grinding halt or painfully slow. Self checkout has issues too but those aren't them..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

@ dunfree: Hey anybody who works there deserves the employee discount.

And the theft is built into the budget because they aren’t paying employees.
    Perfect write off.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    As an aside, if I lived in WA and make what I make here, that plan would cost me $800 more per year than I pay on my private plan and give me less $263,500 less in total benefit. $36k isn't going far in assisted living though.
    With the State plan, you only have to pay from your W-2 income. So if you retire at 65, you no longer need to pay where as with the private plan, you have to keep paying for the rest of your life (I'm guessing this changes your calculation above). And you only pay from W-2 income, not self employed, 1099-MISC, not investments, rental, ect. $36k isn't much but I think the idea is to have a bunch of state run, and state subsidized nursing homes that operate on a sliding scale fee. WA Constitution prohibits state income tax, so this is a way to get around that law.

With the State plan, you only have to pay from your W-2 income. So if you retire at 65, you no longer need to pay where as with the private plan, you have to keep paying for the rest of your life (I'm guessing this changes your calculation above). And you only pay from W-2 income, not self employed, 1099-MISC, not investments, rental, ect. $36k isn't much but I think the idea is to have a bunch of state run, and state subsidized nursing homes that operate on a sliding scale fee. WA Constitution prohibits state income tax, so this is a way to get around that law.
    FML. Thanks for the reminder of this shit tax.

LIke most things government-run, I'm sure this will help out some people, but in the end, it'll be over-wrought, bloated, and abused by those that don't need it. And we get to fund it. Great. And then, like Social Security, when those of us that pay into it for 30 years, we probably can't use it. Even better.

Not really going to change my math. If I invested $800 a year between now and retirement on a low risk mutual fund, I’d probably have more than $36k to pay for assisted living or anything else I wanted after 65 and I wouldn’t have to keep paying anything.

You make a lot of assumptions. You know nothing of the LTC contract I purchased. I think the WACares program is good in theory but the mechanics come from typical politicians. If they just said hey, we’re going to start a no earnings cap tax as a social safety net and didn’t tie it only assisted living care, it would be honest and do far more good for people.

Why not just change the state constitution and have an income tax? Really, Wacares is just a state income tax with a narrow scope of benefits.

Why is it on the employee and not the employer? We are experiencing a wage stagnation issue and now adding a flat tax rate to all W2 employees in your fine state.

And really I think you want to argue with me because I pointed out your original misstatement that there was no way to avoid the tax.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Also heard that you can opt out with no proof of coverage. They may or may not request proof in the future. This may be considered fraud but there is no affidavit.
    A sworn statement is definitely not one of the elements of fraud.

Trust Apu.

Have you tried using a scan app or fast food apps instead of the drive thru line? That also counts as self checkout..
    Nope.
    I'm sorry, was I on the schedule today? I didn't check. I thought I installed computers and network equipment. I forgot my apron.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    And really I think you want to argue with me because I pointed out your original misstatement that there was no way to avoid the tax.
    I knew that at one point, you could have opted out. And I knew about AKs ethically dubious ways to get around it. I was just trying to summarize in two sentences WA's new program which I thought was interesting. And today, you effectively can't opt out. And the really important part of the law is that future residents and new W-2 earners can't opt out. The only reason there is an grandfather opt-out clause is that was the only way the law got passed (ok to tax future residents, just don't tax me). Everyone in WA with a W-2 knew all of this because HR has been bombarding people with emails explaining all of this.

And the reason WA doesn't change constitution to have income tax is the same reason CA has the law on the books that caps property tax. Politically, it is a non-starter. Liberal cities like Seattle and Olympia have tried to get around that constitutional restriction, but their efforts have been struck down by the courts. Maybe someday there will be the political will statewide.

How many mags have long term care insurance? How many think it is a wise thing to purchase? This law effectively makes everyone in WA have long term care insurance whether they want it or not. I've thought about it, and think that is a good thing.

Weird, since when does crash greater than 2009=record high close? Haven't even started printing money or handing out "recovery packages" aka free government funded bonuses yet..

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/inde...hp&duration=1D
    I mean the US government can kick the can down the road for a pretty long time. There is no denying that.

still a bubble is a bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    People who can't handle self checkout should not be allowed to drive.
    Well here’s the thing, if you have booze many stores don’t allow you to use it, so that’s an issue.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.