Page 18 of 64 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Bullshit excuse. I can go to their country and assimilate, and not be an asshole typical American. They can come over here and tip our waitstaff. It is not like it is a big secret that tipping is a thing here. MOST europeans, this was not a thing. Germans were pretty bad, especially older tour groups.
    I remember the outrage of an Australian who found out there was a 10% gratuity added to the price of his bucket Galapagos dive trip.
    I told him they ought to roll it into the base price and not even tell the cheap bastard Aussies they were doing it. It would save so many strained and sprained Australian brains...

^^^

In my travels in Ecuador I was always shocked how cheap both Aussies and Israelis were and also just how many of them there were there. Country is ridiculously cheap (Galapagos being the only exception) and they’d argue over 50 cents.

Moral of the story... Living expenses in the pandemic and beyond, food, fuel, pretty much everything going up. No point of working unless it pays well enough to live off that work salary. I'd rather be poor with more free time than poor with less free time..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, yeah, nobody tips in Europe. Ten percent is a generous surprise, usually from an American.
    Germans tip, at least all but the Schwabs, ten percent is usually about the right amount. I used to make around 700 a month when I was waiting tables. Italians build it in to the bill, I believe it’s called coppa

Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    Germans tip, at least all but the Schwabs, ten percent is usually about the right amount. I used to make around 700 a month when I was waiting tables. Italians build it in to the bill, I believe it’s called coppa
    Lol about the Schwabs. Stingy mofos. My sister lives in the BaWü portion.

The Great Resignation ‘21

Wow. Employers are concerned about interviewees ghosting them.

Of course this is after years of making applicants jump through hoops, stealing their IP through multiple rounds of “project idea” interviews, oh and generally ignoring applications in order to hire the boss’s golf partner’s son.

About time Labor stood up.

https://slate.com/human-interest/202...t-economy.html

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    ^^^

In my travels in Ecuador I was always shocked how cheap both Aussies and Israelis were and also just how many of them there were there. Country is ridiculously cheap (Galapagos being the only exception) and they’d argue over 50 cents.
    When were you there? Since they went on the American dollar as their currency prices are American--at least in Guayaquil, Quito, and (as you say) Galapagos. And the people--even the ones with "good" jobs were instantly impoverished.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post

Of course this is after years of making applicants jump through hoops, stealing their IP through multiple rounds of “project idea” interviews, oh and generally ignoring applications in order to hire the boss’s golf partner’s son.

Bahha. Ghosted by interviewees. About fucking time. Foo's on the other shit now. I was pretty fucking pissed off at not even getting an automated 'you suck' letter for the handful of applications I have submitted in the last 20 years at those moments when I considered changing employers.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the...ir%3f_amp=true

. Fuck working in the middle of nowhere and having to park further away and shuttle in.

^[Deslongchamp says about 100 people showed up to the job fair, but he doesn't consider it a failure. Instead, it's a stepping point for bigger and better ones with, hopefully, better turnouts.]
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 12.33.17 PM.png 
Views:	98 
Size:	806.8 KB 
ID:	390306

Weren’t airport service jobs one of the shittiest across the us ore-covid19? Always seemed you could see who was the bottom of the cities social ladder by who was slinging burgers at the McDonald’s or gassing themselves with Cinnabon.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post

Many younger people assume (correctly IMO) that companies will cut them loose in a second if the bottom line indicates they should. Therefore, there is no loyalty either way….maybe to a really good manager or team, but not much to organizations. Most people over 55 don’t seem to get it.

I personally think it’s pretty fucking dumb/rude to accept an interview/job and then no show because I know as a manager if you did that to me you would have zero chance down the line. Just because business has been acting that way for a few decades doesn’t mean that is even remotely smart.

My thought is that this is probably also about people avoiding awkward conversations like “hey, I got a better job offer, good luck”.

If this does anything to reform the nightmare that is software driven hiring though, I have to think everyone wins.

Back in the day macdonalds would hire 30 guys( no girls yet) and make them watch old mcD commercials for indoctrination, then fuck them around on hrs, after 10 hrs I quit by phone cuz I got 2 better jobs, the guy on the other end said I couldn't just quit I told him to give my hrs to one of the other guys they are screwing with
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

My greatest resignation was from Hechingers when my manager in the electrical department told me my thesis prep was cutting into my available hours and I really needed to choose between college or my job there. I asked him to repeat what he was saying in case I heard him wrong before walking out.

Just read through some McKinsey research on this - big drivers were feeling valued and respected by management and the company. I was actually surprised to see one of the calls to action being "stop sheltering toxic executives". No shit.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Weren’t airport service jobs one of the shittiest across the us ore-covid19? Always seemed you could see who was the bottom of the cities social ladder by who was slinging burgers at the McDonald’s or gassing themselves with Cinnabon.
    Haha, that's so priveleged white guy. The only people of color you experience at a lot of major cities is in the airport during plane changes.

Hugh's been getting sloppy recently. Thinking he's making a solid burn but really just passing along casual racism and putting his foot in his mouth.
    Live Free or Die

Casual racism is pointing out racism to our privileged whites that identify as offended

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    My greatest resignation was from Hechingers when my manager in the electrical department told me my thesis prep was cutting into my available hours and I really needed to choose between college or my job there. I asked him to repeat what he was saying in case I heard him wrong before walking out.
    Mine was when I went on my 2 week honeymoon vacation, received an urgent message on the phone, please start Monday, so I called my DSM on a Saturday night and said get your ass to the store Sunday so I can give you my keys, as I am outta there. The guy was so pissed, but fuck them for jacking me around, so I felt compelled to find a new job. The rest is history.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Heh. My manager at my last job, at my "mid-year" evaluation (took place in late October, mind you) gave me a "Does not meet expectations" score on the eval.

I looked at him straight-faced and said that was fair, as I had *no* idea what the expectations were.

Started working on getting a new job shortly thereafter.

Worked out well for me.

Only job I ever quit without notice was the first day I showed up to work. It started with a shitty commute to a sales training position. Turned out to be cold calling from a phone room. It was base pay plus commission. The product was some kind of weed killer or fertilizer.. Not even sure what it was but we were told to call numbers of random farms n Nebraska and Iowa and read the scripts.. About the third try the farmer asks me if it's safe to use in drainage ditches.. Not on the script. The owner takes the phone and starts making up shit about EPA and FDA clearance shit.. I was already suspicious that they were selling sawdust or some other garbage labeled as their miracle product. I went to lunch and never went back. They didn't call me to ask why I didn't come back..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Mine was for one of the ESL schools I had been teaching at in Tokyo. They were constantly making schedules that had day long gaps between classes that you didn’t get paid for and made it impossible to get other gigs. When they started rotating my day off as well so I couldn’t even book my any of my own private jobs I had enough. Packed a few things and headed for Thailand from where I then faxed a profanity strewn fuck off letter w a very artístic rendering of two birds back to the school mgr as my resignation. Sayonara

beaver creek 96/97 season
    lift op supervisor "where were you yesterday?"
    me "it was a powder day"

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    beaver creek 96/97 season
    lift op supervisor "where were you yesterday?"
    me "it was a powder day"

Things that are egregious;

- CEO:worker comp ratios in the hundreds
    - Companies that net billions yet still prioritize hitting earnings targets rather than paying employees living wages
    - The lack of support from our political/legal bodies to ensure even the lowest paid employees can afford housing and food
    - The burden of covering skyrocketing health insurance for employees
    - The McEconomy driven by unrealistic corporate valuations and the draw of public markets coupled with the then crushing need to show exponential growth
    - Legitimization of market caps of more than $1T dollars
    - Individuals with net worths over $1B