Page 19 of 51 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
Results 451 to 475 of 1267
  1. #451
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    8,569
    Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    beaver creek 96/97 season
    lift op supervisor "where were you yesterday?"
    me "it was a powder day"

  2. #452
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    7,857
    Things that are egregious;

    - CEO:worker comp ratios in the hundreds
    - Companies that net billions yet still prioritize hitting earnings targets rather than paying employees living wages
    - The lack of support from our political/legal bodies to ensure even the lowest paid employees can afford housing and food
    - The burden of covering skyrocketing health insurance for employees
    - The McEconomy driven by unrealistic corporate valuations and the draw of public markets coupled with the then crushing need to show exponential growth
    - Legitimization of market caps of more than $1T dollars
    - Individuals with net worths over $1B

  3. #453
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Truckee & Sonoma
    Posts
    13,246
    Pretty much. Weve been in an aristocracy for a while now
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

  4. #454
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    4,118
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Pretty much. Weve been in an aristocracy for a while now
    says the cunt who only hires fellow royals

  5. #455
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    7,010
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    givens my choice of a full service deli counter and a nug store
    im goin pots shop everytime
    Oh, I ain't complaining. I like it just fine here. Me and 'Roos got the bigger weed emporium up valley.

  6. #456
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    righthere/rightnow
    Posts
    2,561
    The tyranny of work: jobs have become, for so many, a relentless, unsatisfying toil. Now is the time to challenge the traditional work ethic.

    https://aeon.co/essays/how-the-work-...-for-good-jobs

  7. #457
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Last Best City in the Last Best Place
    Posts
    4,740
    Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    Most people over 55 dont seem to get it.
    Uh... Most people over 55 have already been kicked to the curb.

  8. #458
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Truckee & Sonoma
    Posts
    13,246
    Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    says the cunt who only hires fellow royals
    What the fuck are you even talking about, dipshit? You dont know me. Im not hiring anyone.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

  9. #459
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Goulder
    Posts
    706
    Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    ^^^

    In my travels in Ecuador I was always shocked how cheap both Aussies and Israelis were and also just how many of them there were there. Country is ridiculously cheap (Galapagos being the only exception) and theyd argue over 50 cents.
    Our guide in Ecuador may retire soon
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

  10. #460
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    3,325
    Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Things that are egregious;

    - CEO:worker comp ratios in the hundreds
    - Companies that net billions yet still prioritize hitting earnings targets rather than paying employees living wages
    - The lack of support from our political/legal bodies to ensure even the lowest paid employees can afford housing and food
    - The burden of covering skyrocketing health insurance for employees
    - The McEconomy driven by unrealistic corporate valuations and the draw of public markets coupled with the then crushing need to show exponential growth
    - Legitimization of market caps of more than $1T dollars
    - Individuals with net worths over $1B
    QFT

  11. #461
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SF & the Ho
    Posts
    6,788
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Pretty much. Weve been in an aristocracy for a while now
    Aristocracy had some class. Were in a kleptocracy now

  12. #462
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    closer
    Posts
    3,906
    Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Things that are egregious;

    - CEO:worker comp ratios in the hundreds
    - Companies that net billions yet still prioritize hitting earnings targets rather than paying employees living wages
    - The lack of support from our political/legal bodies to ensure even the lowest paid employees can afford housing and food
    - The burden of covering skyrocketing health insurance for employees
    - The McEconomy driven by unrealistic corporate valuations and the draw of public markets coupled with the then crushing need to show exponential growth
    - Legitimization of market caps of more than $1T dollars
    - Individuals with net worths over $1B
    But but but...that's communism!

    Or called social democracy over here. Though implementing it after decades of neo liberal indoctrination is not easy as well.

    Edit:And I'd really enjoy a panel discussion on life's mysteries with dunfree, benny, glademaster and buttahflake.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

  13. #463
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    YetiMan
    Posts
    12,964
    1988()!!!


    Nothing to do, nothing to pay
    Nothing but snobbery and decay
    Land of the free
    How can you tell?
    The bigger they come the harder they sell
    Here’s to you
    Here’s to me
    A future aristocracy
    Property, poverty
    An unstable economy
    And decay
    And decay
    Snobbery and decay
    Snobbery and decay
    Come tomorrow, the dream might blow away
    Guilt and sorrow, the price you have to pay

  14. #464
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    7,857
    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    1988()!!!


    Nothing to do, nothing to pay
    Nothing but snobbery and decay
    Land of the free
    How can you tell?
    The bigger they come the harder they sell
    Here’s to you
    Here’s to me
    A future aristocracy
    Property, poverty
    An unstable economy
    And decay
    And decay
    Snobbery and decay
    Snobbery and decay
    Come tomorrow, the dream might blow away
    Guilt and sorrow, the price you have to pay

    Nice Stump tie in there ....

  15. #465
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    righthere/rightnow
    Posts
    2,561
    Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Aristocracy had some class. We’re in a kleptocracy now
    Thanks to Citizen's United corporations can donate as much as they want, we have become a corporate state.

  16. #466
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    1988()!!!
    ...
    Yeah...Fugazi too

    I'm not well educated on the subject...but I'm always impressed when I re-read what old Ed Abbey had to say. His foreshadowing of the direction he saw us heading seems to be increasingly correct.

  17. #467
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    49,372
    Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Aristocracy had some class. Were in a kleptocracy now
    Oh boy. Go back and read about some. Start with the Borgia pope, Alexander VI, and his contemporaries.

    The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

  18. #468
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    18,804
    Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    Thanks to Citizen's United corporations can donate as much as they want, we have become a corporate state.
    If corporations are people, why not hippos?
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...ppos-colombia/

  19. #469
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    4,118
    Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    But but but...that's communism!

    Or called social democracy over here. Though implementing it after decades of neo liberal indoctrination is not easy as well.

    Edit:And I'd really enjoy a panel discussion on life's mysteries with dunfree, benny, glademaster and buttahflake.
    One of the mysteries - and amusing ironies - of the tgr is all the obsessive, unfunny, many thousand post drama queens dont get they are no different.

  20. #470
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    6,377
    Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    One of the mysteries - and amusing ironies - of the tgr is all the obsessive, unfunny, many thousand post drama queens don’t get they are no different.
    It's very difficult to become a REALLY good skier without the family financial resources to ski 50-100+ days a season for several seasons. If your folks had money to cover that you also had money to at least get in to college and finish if you didn't fuck it up.. Even if you did there were probably resources to still get a good job or take over the family business or start your own business. Not many folks here who truly grew up "poor".
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  21. #471
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    18,804
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    It's very difficult to become a REALLY good skier without the family financial resources to ski 50-100+ days a season for several seasons. If your folks had money to cover that you also had money to at least get in to college and finish if you didn't fuck it up.. Even if you did there were probably resources to still get a good job or take over the family business or start your own business. Not many folks here who truly grew up "poor".
    But there are no doubt many self-made poor people here.

  22. #472
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    4,118
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    But there are no doubt many self-made poor people here.
    yeah, but I suspect thats a generational thing. The correlation between downward social mobility and gravity sports doesnt seem to be nearly what it used to be.

  23. #473
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,879
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    It's very difficult to become a REALLY good skier without the family financial resources to ski 50-100+ days a season for several seasons. If your folks had money to cover that you also had money to at least get in to college and finish if you didn't fuck it up.. Even if you did there were probably resources to still get a good job or take over the family business or start your own business. Not many folks here who truly grew up "poor".
    Also a fair amount of people here who were gifted nothing more than an upbringing that instilled good values, ambition, work ethic and a foundation to build on in adulthood.

    I know its not your intention but nothing gets my hackles up like discounting the good decision making, sacrifices, hard work and natural talent that got many of us into the position we are today. I was gifted quite a lot by my folks and upbringing, but it was mostly values, priorities and examples (which i realize is invaluable and lacking in poorer communities)... not finances, connections, material resources etc. I have trouble empathizing with many "woe is me" stories from people that don't work/hustle hard- i do feel for the folks that work their ass off and still cannot seem to stay above water.

  24. #474
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    6,377
    Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Also a fair amount of people here who were gifted nothing more than an upbringing that instilled good values, ambition, work ethic and a foundation to build on in adulthood.

    I know its not your intention but nothing gets my hackles up like discounting the good decision making, sacrifices, hard work and natural talent that got many of us into the position we are today. I was gifted quite a lot by my folks and upbringing, but it was mostly values, priorities and examples (which i realize is invaluable and lacking in poorer communities)... not finances, connections, material resources etc. I have trouble empathizing with many "woe is me" stories from people that don't work/hustle hard- i do feel for the folks that work their ass off and still cannot seem to stay above water.
    It's not the same thing to have found that fortune in your 30s. If you truly earned it through hard work you didn't have time to ski 100 day seasons in your teens or early 20s. But, ya, nothing wrong with folks like my wife who left home at age 18 with NOTHING and found a way to get college grants and worked three part time jobs taking 7 years to complete a 4 year degree 100% on her own. That's why she's NOT a fantastic skier though... To be that you really need a lot of free time and a good financial situation in your teens and early 20s.. Ya, you can get out a few weeks a year and get "pretty good" with a great situation later in life, but at your best, you wouldn't have beaten me down a bump run when I was 20..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  25. #475
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    49,372
    It's hard to explain born on second base to a lot of people.

    The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •