Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Santa Cruz hasn’t been full of hippies this millenia

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    37 blind TGnaRistas describe the elephant.
    Every claim is true except making it from Issaquah to Snoqualmie Pass in 40 minutes on a snowy weekend morning.

And let us not gloss over the parking problems: Stevens Pass is parked out by 8:00, Crustal access road on a snow morning is snarled by 8:00 and Snoqualmie got parked out a dozen times last year.

The SW corner of lot4 does a little to defrost the Seattle freeze, if only by virtue of the dank.

Failing that, there's always Ogden.
    Buster I can make it from Lynnwood in 50 mins

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Stolen from twittergram:

Living in western Washington is like dating a beautiful girl who is sick all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post

On snowy weekends @ 8:00 am?

OK.

I'm close to Carnation and on snowy days it takes me longer than 45 minutes. On good days, I can do 45 or less.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post

What's the top speed of the OP's adventure van?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Seattle is actually more diverse than New Orleans, but it's a meaningless statement if you're assigning points to exposure to a non-white experience.
    Shouldn't have used the word "diverse" and instead said most white and least black. Bellevue is actually now the largest minority majority city in Washington, but that's just because of all the H1b visa workers Microsoft brings in.

Seattle has always had a corporate step on your face vibe. And despite Fox News thinking Seattle is the most liberal place in the US, Washington has the most regressive taxation structure in America. This ensures the rich stay rich and the poor stay poor. It's why Seattle area is home to so many billionaires. Amazon is now the largest single employer in Seattle, and in the state (passing Boeing). Has anyone ever met someone who works for Amazon that wasn't stressed out and hated their job?

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    It is and it isn't. If you're a happy outgoing person you'll find your people easy enough. I play a fun game called "being cheery" where you act overly friendly to sea-assholes and watch the confusion overwhelm their sad faces.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    I found Seattle to be much more hospitable and much easier to get to know the people in a neighborhood or find friends with like minded hobbies than in Arizona or Texas (the two places I lived before I came back to the PNW). If you're living in the urban parts of the Puget Sound it's still urban and it's going to vary based on the socioeconomic situation and your personality. It's not hard to be out of the "urban" part and into a more "rural" type feel, though esp in Pierce/Thurston Co a lot of that rural feel is an expectation of keeping to oneself.

The San Juan Islands and Vashon Island have a very hippy communitarian vibe going on if you want to build a ferry commute into your day (higher risk / reward these days given the current staffing problems and route cancelations and whatnot)

Is this the 21/22 PNW thread?

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    My unpopular opinion:

Seattlites like to complain. Everything is relative.

- Traffic is not bad here. There is a literal “rush hour”. Outside of that you can cross the city in 5min. People complain about the 405 here… my guess is they have never driven on the real 405.

- The mountains are crowded, but nowhere near the crowds you see at Squaw, Mammoth, Vail, Breck, etc… if you can wake up early and ski through lunch, you’ll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    https://insurify.com/insights/cities...worst-traffic/
    Traffic is not good by any stretch
    It's doable, knowing when and whete...

That's why I mentioned living on the end of town you're working on
    Cheap rent in White Center

One last note, the West Seattle freeway Bridge is closed, getting to the west side, and parts of sodo, except from the South, is fuct

It's funny to hear commentary from people who used to live here many years ago but still are experts on the area. Or lamenting monotone landscapes when they reside in a brown desert.

Everyone's experiences are obviously different depending on your personality, your demographics and where you are in life at the moment. It's pretty easy to find like-minded people here who have an out doorsy perspective. About everyone I've known for my 15 years here is still here even though they are all white collar professionals. Like any city, you have to find your people and develop your community. If you are the negative person always complaining about a freeze, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that person is having trouble connecting. The bars and restaurants always seem to be full of people having a good time, trailheads have plenty of people, there are copious amounts of intelligent and well-intentioned people here which maybe fewer and far between in lots of other places. It just depends on what you're looking for.

That being said, many parts of the urban core are full of too many sjw's, the homeless and property crime numbers are off the hook and it's going to take a while to improve that latter situation so be aware of it before you get here.

Bottom line here, if you move to Seattle you’ll become a lonely hermit if you don’t get murdered first.

What's the lowdown on the PNW?

People getting shot at in Medina. Medina

https://komonews.com/news/local/2-su...ting-in-medina

Funky cold medina.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Ok the one thing people haven’t said is the food fucking sucks here relative to the size of the city.

In SF any restaurant you choose off the street has better than decent food and there’s like hundreds of restaurants people call their favorites. In Seattle, there’s like 1-2 “good” places for each cuisine. And you have to know where to go. A random restaurant will disappoint you and cost $20 a head.

Just look at the subreddits for each area on food recs. All seattleites can talk about is dicks. Which is like high quality McDonald’s with 1/20th the menu.

[QUOTE=altasnob;6433574]If there is a Seattle freeze,

We call it minding our own business.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River View Post
    It's funny to hear commentary from people who used to live here many years ago but still are experts on the area. Or lamenting monotone landscapes when they reside in a brown desert.

Everyone's experiences are obviously different depending on your personality, your demographics and where you are in life at the moment. It's pretty easy to find like-minded people here who have an out doorsy perspective. About everyone I've known for my 15 years here is still here even though they are all white collar professionals. Like any city, you have to find your people and develop your community. If you are the negative person always complaining about a freeze, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that person is having trouble connecting. The bars and restaurants always seem to be full of people having a good time, trailheads have plenty of people, there are copious amounts of intelligent and well-intentioned people here which maybe fewer and far between in lots of other places. It just depends on what you're looking for.

That being said, many parts of the urban core are full of too many sjw's, the homeless and property crime numbers are off the hook and it's going to take a while to improve that latter situation so be aware of it before you get here.
    Good, fair post. There’s way worse places to live.

For anyone living in Seattle and bitching hard— what does that say about you? Do something about it. Move along, people are looking to take your spot.
    The part about a ton of people with FU money, choose to live here, has somehow escaped you.. and the heavy influx of people speaks to that.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Ok the one thing people haven’t said is the food fucking sucks here relative to the size of the city.

In SF any restaurant you choose off the street has better than decent food and there’s like hundreds of restaurants people call their favorites. In Seattle, there’s like 1-2 “good” places for each cuisine. And you have to know where to go. A random restaurant will disappoint you and cost $20 a head.

Just look at the subreddits for each area on food recs. All seattleites can talk about is dicks. Which is like high quality McDonald’s with 1/20th the menu.
    Wasn't it about this time last year you were moving here?

You should get out more then. Sounds uninformed.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I don’t really think of Seattle when I think of WA and I’m a native. It’s okay as cities go but that’s it. The entirety of the Puget Sound lowlands and western slope starting below the foothills is shitty. Sure there are nice days but the monotony of grey skies, drizzle and Doug fir monoculture is tedious.

I grew up in Oregon and would say that Portland is easily the least representative place of what Oregon is. That said. I’ve lived in Utah for a while and I’m always appreciative of how much more friendly people are in Oregon than Utah.

Maybe Glademaster is looking for a roommate?

The only explanation to this is that you're bad at finding good food. Seattle has an abundance of highly rated chefs cooking in swanky restaurants if eating good food in places that spent a lot of money on trendy design fads is your thing (or you want to impress your dining partner).

Where it does better though are the pockets of ethnic food… there's about 5 Ethiopian places within a 6 square block area in N Seattle that are all very good. There are a million tiny little funky spots in all the old neighborhoods (Wedgwood, Phinney Ridge) that have been around for a long time that are great, but mostly cater to locals in the neighborhood. There's refreshingly little fast food in the city itself. The diversity of even a broad category like "Chinese food" available in Seattle is mind blowing if you're interested in more than General Tso's chicken (try Xian noodles in the U district).

If you can't find good food to eat in Seattle it's because you're an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    My unpopular opinion:

Seattlites like to complain. Everything is relative.

- Traffic is not bad here. There is a literal “rush hour”. Outside of that you can cross the city in 5min. People complain about the 405 here… my guess is they have never driven on the real 405.

- The mountains are crowded, but nowhere near the crowds you see at Squaw, Mammoth, Vail, Breck, etc… if you can wake up early and ski through lunch, you’ll be fine.

Shhh!!!! The negative/anti-hype was working!!!!
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Quote Originally Posted by ptavv View Post
    If you can't find good food to eat in Seattle it's because you're an idiot.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River View Post
    You should get out more then. Sounds uninformed.
    Def. I could eat out at a different "favorite restaurant" every day of the month and not even dip into my second choices. Food scene is Los Angeles quality, but Seattle has a fraction of the population.

Speaking of, Botteco Brazil up in the Kenwood area is absolutely banging. Hottest chilli oil I've found in this area...which is a fair criticism. Getting actually spicy food up here is a struggle, saying "not just Seattle Spicy" has only backfired on me once.