Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 199
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    534

    What's the lowdown on the PNW?

    Morning, mags. I'm currently interviewing for a new gig that would require relocation to Seattle, and, without jinxing myself and putting the cart before the horse, it's looking like an opportunity that might be too good to pass up should I get an offer. That said, I've barely spent any time in that part of the world aside from one trip each to Whistler and Red Mountain. So what's the lowdown on the PNW mountain scene - terrain, accessibility, etc.?

    I'm excited about the opportunity to escape the overcrowded madness that has become California, Utah, and Colorado where all of my riding days have been spent over the past few seasons (though I would dearly miss Mammoth), and the thought that a single day's drive could get me to Revelstoke is incredibly juicy.

    What have been your experiences in the area, positive and negative?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    6,459
    broad question is broad

    you won't escape the crowds here without touring or skiing select midweek days

    sometimes it rains

    sometimes it snows more than anywhere in the world

    the mountains are fkn sick and huge

    mtn access is spotty

    get creative and it's an excellent area to be a skier

    observe the regional threads for more depth
    life ain't guaranteed, love your people while you can

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    24,818
    I shouldn't answer, things have changed, especially in the crowding department.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    SEA>DEN>Spokanistan
    Posts
    2,071
    Seattle is great, don’t look elsewhere in WA. Spokane is shitty and full of homeless.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    534
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    broad question is broad
    Broad answers are perfectly acceptable for broad questions. Thank ya much.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    873
    It only rains, it is expensive and crowded, and the closest place to ski is Tahoe.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    794
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Seattle is great, don’t look elsewhere in WA. Spokane is shitty and full of homeless.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    And meth. Don't forget meth.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    base of the Bush
    Posts
    13,647
    Is it the good blue glass?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    24,818
    Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    Broad answers are perfectly acceptable for broad questions. Thank ya much.
    No.

    (but really, there's basically 4 ski areas for a population of around 6 million from Olympia to Everett, not counting Baker. Crowding has equaled if not surpassed California, Colorado and UT. The freeways are fucked, complete lack of infrastructure and ridiculously expensive housing... this is why I shouldn't answer)
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    84
    Need more info... Where is the job?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    534
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    No.

    (but really, there's basically 4 ski areas for a population of around 6 million from Olympia to Everett, not counting Baker. Crowding has equaled if not surpassed California, Colorado and UT. The freeways are fucked, complete lack of infrastructure and ridiculously expensive housing... this is why I shouldn't answer)
    Well that's a bummer to hear, but the whole point of this was to possibly rid myself of some blissful ignorance. Gracias.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    24,818
    That said, as the knowledgeable Knorseman hinted, the mountains are amazing and if one can time it between the crowds like at night or an underreported weekday, it's awesome.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Denver/Boulder, CO
    Posts
    1,203
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2666.JPG 
Views:	157 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	389133

    Great year to move to the PNW

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    534
    Quote Originally Posted by alfajores View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2666.JPG 
Views:	157 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	389133

    Great year to move to the PNW
    I was thinking the same thing after seeing the La Niña predictions.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    N side, Terrace, BC
    Posts
    4,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    That said, as the knowledgeable Knorseman hinted....
    Do you mean Gnarseman?!
    hahaha, I kill me!
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

    www.mymountaincoop.ca

    This is OUR mountain - come join us!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    6,459
    4 gnarsemen ride

    Gary, come visit again. And I want to bum your couch.
    life ain't guaranteed, love your people while you can

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    N side, Terrace, BC
    Posts
    4,149
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    4 gnarsemen ride

    Gary, come visit again. And I want to bum your couch.
    Oh man! I want, but have been saving my shekels for JH summit. 22/23 though will see a new camping rig with Rd tripping a primary objective. Couch always available for you Gnarse.
    Hahahaha. Nailed it again. Hahaha.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

    www.mymountaincoop.ca

    This is OUR mountain - come join us!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    outer spokanistan
    Posts
    423
    .
    its nice up here ....
    there's a few dickheads
    i think they're
    easy to spot
    .
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up"
    mike tyson

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    2,027
    Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    I was thinking the same thing after seeing the La Niña predictions.
    I wouldn't personally move somewhere long-term based on the forecast for a single season, but that's just me and our situations are likely different. From the Canadian side, resorts here are also becoming more and more crowded. Not sure the last time you were in Revy or Whistler but they are slammed on weekends where it snows - the same can likely be said for everywhere now. The days of empty resorts are likely a thing of the past for most places and people.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sun Peaks Resort
    Posts
    576
    Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    I wouldn't personally move somewhere long-term based on the forecast for a single season, but that's just me and our situations are likely different. From the Canadian side, resorts here are also becoming more and more crowded. Not sure the last time you were in Revy or Whistler but they are slammed on weekends where it snows - the same can likely be said for everywhere now. The days of empty resorts are likely a thing of the past for most places and people.
    At least with Revy on a powder morning most of the crowd has gone home or hiking by 11.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Fresh Lake City
    Posts
    3,976
    Western Washington generally has steeper terrain and shittier but more snow than Colorado and Utah. Similar to mammoth/Tahoe I'd imagine. The season is longer in Washington and often times endless. Skiing a volcano is an unique experience that in the US can only be experienced in Cascadia. (Hopefully you skied Shasta/lassen during your time in CA) It rains in Washington (even Eastern) way more than CO/UT/WA and the mountains are generally not as high as Colorado/Utah so the chance of mountain rain is higher. There's likely going to be times with bad wildfire smoke in the summer. The PNW has a cool regional vibe that's better experienced than described.

    Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    Last edited by brutah; 10-16-2021 at 09:28 PM.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    534
    Quote Originally Posted by shafty85 View Post
    I wouldn't personally move somewhere long-term based on the forecast for a single season, but that's just me and our situations are likely different. From the Canadian side, resorts here are also becoming more and more crowded. Not sure the last time you were in Revy or Whistler but they are slammed on weekends where it snows - the same can likely be said for everywhere now. The days of empty resorts are likely a thing of the past for most places and people.
    Oh definitely. If I took that mentality I would have moved to and from California a half-dozen times in the past 10 years with the new boom-or-bust cycle winters seem to be on here. Just saying there's nothing like an epic snow year to welcome you to a new part of the country.

    Bummer to hear about the Canadian spots, but I agree that's pretty much resort skiing these days. I've luckily been able to avoid weekends most of the past few years by hoarding spring, summer, and fall PTO for storm-chasing winter weekdays. Hopefully that will remain the same.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    SEA>DEN>Spokanistan
    Posts
    2,071

    What's the lowdown on the PNW?

    Haha; I really hope you are not judging all the “Canadian resorts” based on Revy and Whistler… but carry on.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Leavenworth
    Posts
    5
    Unf.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    6,119
    Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    Morning, mags. I'm currently interviewing for a new gig that would require relocation to Seattle, and, without jinxing myself and putting the cart before the horse, it's looking like an opportunity that might be too good to pass up should I get an offer. That said, I've barely spent any time in that part of the world aside from one trip each to Whistler and Red Mountain. So what's the lowdown on the PNW mountain scene - terrain, accessibility, etc.?

    I'm excited about the opportunity to escape the overcrowded madness that has become California, Utah, and Colorado where all of my riding days have been spent over the past few seasons (though I would dearly miss Mammoth), and the thought that a single day's drive could get me to Revelstoke is incredibly juicy.

    What have been your experiences in the area, positive and negative?
    The PNW is a lot larger than Seattle. Nor Cal, OR, ID, MT...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •