Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed el Loco View Post
    Not really a burrito place but Taco Chukis has the best El Pastor tacos I have had this side of the Mexican border.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Never been much of a taco-guy when a burrito is available too. They're good and all, but im big on how easy something is to eat, and tacos get fucking messy. The burrito is a perfect delivery system for the deliciousness. Its a little burro that will reliably carry and deliver all the good stuff you can load it up with.

Also, for coffee around here, it behooves you to take advantage of the great roasters and buy fresh beans, a $10 plastic V60 and brew your own pourover at home instead of blowing all your money on cafe drinks. coffee is one of those things that has a huge return on investment- you can make super great coffee and get real bougious about it for super cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    How many Michelin starred restaurants are there in Seattle?
    Portland?
    LA?
    SF?
    Michelin only reviews 5 cities in the US. If they reviewed Seattle there would certainly be some recognition.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    I live in the burrito desert bullseye apparently haha
    Dunno, I live near Gordito's in Greenwood and their burritos are quite tasty. But maybe I am missing out? What makes a burrito next level? Quality of ingredients? Legit query as burritos are my comfort food.

OP - if you are at all inclined and don't already have it - pick up touring gear and contact Pro-guiding. https://www.proguiding.com/

Good tour options around here - even the low-hanging fruit is a good respite from the resort. Make that your weekend plan. Ski the resort on weekdays/nights.

The way that the bay area has taquerias, Seattle area has sushi joints. Same rules apply when eating at both- holes in the wall spots are delicious, but its risky to eat at the cheap ones past 8pm. Yamamotos revenge, etc.
    I think the more accurate comparison is Seattle Teriyaki joints are similar to LA Taquerias. One on every corner. Dirty as hell. Most good, some amazing.

Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Dunno, I live near Gordito's in Greenwood and their burritos are quite tasty. But maybe I am missing out? What makes a burrito next level? Quality of ingredients? Legit query as burritos are my comfort food.
    https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-best-burrito/

And for the record, california style burritos are an abomination and you should be ashamed if you order one.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-best-burrito/

And for the record, california style burritos are an abomination and you should be ashamed if you order one.
    Sweet lord that was a completely obsessive quest for burrito nirvana. Respect 538, respect.

Christ, you guys ever hear of Chipotle??

They have burritos and usually where you find a Panera (nice little sandwich shop) and a Target there is a Chipotle.

Authentic

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Michelin only reviews 5 cities in the US. If they reviewed Seattle there would certainly be some recognition.

Sure.

https://upserve.com/restaurant-insid...united-states/
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Yup. Broken out via 5 locations (not cities) I guess.

NY
    Chicago
    DC
    SF Area
    LA Area

Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by ptavv View Post
    el camion is as good as it gets in Seattle, which is pretty good
    Hahaha hahaha

Um No

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

The taqueria in Cashmere... oh my

Never been much of a taco-guy when a burrito is available too.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post

OP - if you are at all inclined and don't already have it - pick up touring gear and contact Pro-guiding. https://www.proguiding.com/

Good tour options around here - even the low-hanging fruit is a good respite from the resort. Make that your weekend plan. Ski the resort on weekdays/nights.
    Yeah I dunno what the burrito stink is about. Gorditos burrito grande wet spicy & done.

How do you pick out the CA transplant? Absolutely convinced of their authoritative opinion on Mexican food. Like having an opinion helps define their personality or something.

Def make the drive out to North bend for shop work & perusal.

And while you're there...Rio Bravo.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Some of us lack the coordination, dexterity, and patience to consume tacos in a succesful and graceful manner. I will always prefer the food form that is most conducive to shoveling into my mouth as efficiently as possible. It is a burden i must live with.

Some of us lack the coordination, dexterity, and patience to consume tacos in a succesful and graceful manner. I will always prefer the food form that is most conducive to shoveling into my mouth as efficiently as possible. It is a burden i must live with.
    Successful? Graceful? With tacos?

Impossible.

But still: tacos FTMFW

But don't get me wrong - I love a good burrito.

I especially like the machaca burrito from:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jilbertitos1.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	389443

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    How do you pick out the CA transplant? Absolutely convinced of their authoritative opinion on Mexican food. Like having an opinion helps define their personality or something.
    I thought it was making sure to work into any conversation that we are from california? Like the one time i tried to meet Mags at the first BBI in a dark Lot 4, went up to a group of folks in the normal corner and announced "Im californiagrown"... and promptly got told "I bet you are...". and the cliche continues.

When a PNWer transplants to the southeast, they will generally be an authority on beer and coffee. when a californian transplants to the PNW they will generally be an authority on good mexican/taqueria food. When as southerner transplants to the PNW they will be an authority on BBQ. And life goes on. Try telling a NYC transplant out here about pizza....

NY
    Chicago
    DC
    SF Area
    LA Area

which are also probably the 5 best food regions in the us in terms of number, diversity of choices, and quality. That’s overall. Not just Michelin starred. Way more random hole in the wall ethnic restaurants of way more strips in dc, nyc or la than Seattle
    Last edited by dunfree ; 10-18-2021 at 01:43 PM.

NY
    Chicago
    DC
    SF Area
    LA Area
    Since we're talking about style and taste, I expect the insults, but I prefer to observe the lack of need to emit them.

The facts might support Sacramento not being in the SF vicinity. Or the issue of restaurants of merit density in a given locale.

There's a few restaurants I like around Seattle, Eden Hill, Alterra, Marmite, Le Pichet, among others, but given that I have dumpy stumptown to compare, I don't think there's anywhere in Seattle to compare with Little Bird (rip) Le Pigeon, Canard, Paley's Place or the Willows Inn. Especially on the Eastside where there's a tremendous density of wealth (kudos to Bis On Main).

But really, is it any wonder that Michelin doesn't come to the PNW relative to places like Enotica Pinchiorri, l'Atelier de Joel Rebuchon or Per Se?

I'm really glad that other people find restaurants in Seattle to their taste.

It doesn't matter they refer to me as an idiot for not doing so.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Since this is the Mex rec thread I’ll throw out a place we support- El Toreador in Redmond. Or better know as El Ts. Been around since the 80s. Delicious menu but the tortilla soup is what we have frequent cravings for.

The taco and burrito serve different purposes. A taco is a snack. It's also the correct size for meats that are too rich and or salty to be consumed in mass quantities, like carnitas, cabeza, barbacoa, fish, etc. Or sometimes you just want to mix it up. California style tacos are ok too.

A burrito is a meal. CA style not ok, store bought tortillas not ok, and excessive beans is a cop-out/cheap-out. A burrito can be great, but since it's also low-cost food for low-income people, it can be 90+% filler.

If you want to get a little more authentic, get a pambazo. A truck that doesn't have them is solo para personas blancas. Or if the proprietors are Tapatios (from Guadalajara) their version is tortas ahogadas.

And there's nothing like a good bowl of birria on a cold pnw day.

Since we're talking about style and taste, I expect the insults, but I prefer to observe the lack of need to emit them.

The facts might support Sacramento not being in the SF vicinity. Or the issue of restaurants of merit density in a given locale.

There's a few restaurants I like around Seattle, Eden Hill, Alterra, Marmite, Le Pichet, among others, but given that I have dumpy stumptown to compare, I don't think there's anywhere in Seattle to compare with Little Bird (rip) Le Pigeon, Canard, Paley's Place or the Willows Inn. Especially on the Eastside where there's a tremendous density of wealth (kudos to Bis On Main).

But really, is it any wonder that Michelin doesn't come to the PNW relative to places like Enotica Pinchiorri, l'Atelier de Joel Rebuchon or Per Se?

I'm really glad that other people find restaurants in Seattle to their taste.

It doesn't matter they refer to me as an idiot for not doing so.
    Eh, i think the issue is that there are michelin star quality restaurants around here (amongst many other places not visited by Michelin), and that not being in a hot enough hot-bed for food should not disqualify an eatery from earning a star or three. But the chefs know that when they open shop in these unrecognized regions, and thats what the James Beard awards are for i guess.

Some of you have never been to Albuquerque and it shows

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Yeah I dunno what the burrito stink is about. Gorditos burrito grande wet spicy & done.
    The best burrito in town but, dangerous to eat while driving.

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    Some of you have never been to Albuquerque and it shows

Can't tell if thats a compliment or not?

Move upside and let the man go through...