Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Eh, i think the issue is that there are michelin star quality restaurants around here (amongst many other places not visited by Michelin),.
    I don't think there are.
    Given the number of billionaires along Meydenbauer to Medina to Hunts Point, one would think there would be.
    But Ballmer eats at Bis On Main.
    But I have been to Albuquerque.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Can't tell if thats a compliment or not?
    New Mexican food is 10 times better than any burrito ud get in Cali. Its the gold fucking standard

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I don't think there are.
    But I have been to Albuquerque.
    Hot take: Buster is actually a low-key Michelin Inspector and is visiting Yurp this winter for official job duties, not just for BBI Yurp.

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    New Mexican food is 10 times better than any burrito ud get in Cali. Its the gold fucking standard

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    Can't see myself ever making it to albequerque... but plan to try my luck in Santa Fe at some point. Ill keep it in mind and judge harshly haha.

Can't see myself ever making it to albequerque... but plan to try my luck in Santa Fe at some point. Ill keep it in mind and judge harshly haha.
    Just make sure to try the chile rellenos *everywhere* you go in Santa Fe.

Hot take: Buster is actually a low-key Michelin Inspector and is visiting Yurp this winter for official job duties, not just for BBI Yurp.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...20#post6434420

FYI, Southwest has a direct SEA to ALB which provides the best access to NM and SW CO skiing, plus car rental there is like half of DIA or DRO.

i like the old square in ALB way more than the one in SF. Much better deals on turquiose for the lady.

See, useful!

No shade intended. Just saying it wouldn't totally shock me if it were true.

FWIW i had the best meal of my life a couple years ago at Cafe Juanita (and have been to a handful of single star and one two star place in my adult life to compare to). But, different strokes for different folks, and the lack of stars didnt make the experience any less awesome for us.

So ABQ closer to crested butte/silverton, but Santa Fe closer to Taos. Correct?

We've been to CJ twice and didn't like it.
    I enumerated others, I don't think any of them approach a M *.

We've been to CJ twice and didn't like it.
    I enumerated others, I don't think any of them approach a M *.
    Unpossible!

though, it does fit with my previous theory that you are a Michelin Inspector.

Perhaps OP should consider Albuquerque

For me, if you’re going to splurge on a meal around here it’s Barking Frog.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River View Post
    It's funny to hear commentary from people who used to live here many years ago but still are experts on the area. Or lamenting monotone landscapes when they reside in a brown desert.

Everyone's experiences are obviously different depending on your personality, your demographics and where you are in life at the moment.
    FWIW - I spend a fair amount of time up in Seattle, but have been "gone" for 13 years. I think someone like me still a lot of perspective to offer. My family came to WA in the 1890s and I've had family in Seattle-proper for over 100 years. All my extended family and my wife's family still live in Western WA; most all our school/college friends. Meaning: I draw from a lot of personal experience, but also a pretty big well of acquaintances to understand what's going on up there. I'm not naive to think Seattle is still the way I grew up experiencing it, but there's more to it's existence and evolution than what current issues expose.

People who moved to Seattle 5/10/15 years ago (and, per the anecdotes on this thread: likely socialize with people similar to themselves), probably don't have the same understanding/perspective as people who've been around for decades. Neither are wrong or right, but I think everyone has something to offer. And the freeze is real; my family of old Scandinavians roles that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post

I especially like the machaca burrito from:

Attachment 389443
    Glenwood represent! Damn, I do love some Jilbertitos when I'm down there and hungry!

But I do love a Gorditos when I'm up in N Seattle!

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Yes.

Been here since 2006 and have zero friends.

Other than other transplants from my home town.

I’m introverted and don’t try though.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Seattle nimbyism, the “Freeze”, passive aggressive behavior and all the other bs that goes along with living in a large metro and it’s suburbs. It’s everywhere.

I’m fine with infrequent trips to the city for the “culture” but would never want to live in a large metro or it’s suburbs. It’s just a rat race. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by ptavv View Post
    I found Seattle to be much more hospitable and much easier to get to know the people in a neighborhood or find friends with like minded hobbies than in Arizona or Texas (the two places I lived before I came back to the PNW). If you're living in the urban parts of the Puget Sound it's still urban and it's going to vary based on the socioeconomic situation and your personality. It's not hard to be out of the "urban" part and into a more "rural" type feel, though esp in Pierce/Thurston Co a lot of that rural feel is an expectation of keeping to oneself.

The San Juan Islands and Vashon Island have a very hippy communitarian vibe going on if you want to build a ferry commute into your day (higher risk / reward these days given the current staffing problems and route cancelations and whatnot)
    The freeze isn't just a Seattle thing, it's like a NW thing. After 13 years I don't have any regular friends beyond activity acquaintances like Mag's I occasionally hook up with on the hill. In the NW people are friendly, but no one wants to be your friend.

I guess I had a different experience in Texas than ptavv. I felt like I had new friends all the time.
    Training for Alpental

Your ever make it down this way, lemme know…..I know some spots.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

So ABQ closer to crested butte/silverton, but Santa Fe closer to Taos. Correct?
    No, SF is closer to all of them, but there's no direct flights from SEA.

We explored a lot of different routes from SEA down that way and found ABQ to be the best flight for the family. I'd drive all our stuff down and ski SkiSF, Taos, Wolf Creek, Purgatory, Silverton, Telluride and even made it to Aspen and CB a few times.

SF is very cool, lots of art and money and SkiSF is a great hill with some cool patrollers. Windiest access road evar.

ABQ has a lot of rough neighborhoods, but I thought the old square there with it's church and adobe is grittier and more real than SF.

No, SF is closer to all of them, but there's no direct flights from SEA.

We explored a lot of different routes from SEA down that way and found ABQ to be the best flight for the family. I'd drive all our stuff down and ski SkiSF, Taos, Wolf Creek, Purgatory, Silverton, Telluride and even made it to Aspen and CB a few times.

SF is very cool, lots of art and money and SkiSF is a great hill with some cool patrollers. Windiest access road evar.

ABQ has a lot of rough neighborhoods, but I thought the old square there with it's church and adobe is grittier and more real than SF.
    Old Town. Just go during daylight hours, it greatly reduces your chances of being shot……
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Thanks for the inspiration to grab a burrito from El Camion today.

I'll have to give Gorditos a try soon too.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Never been much of a taco-guy when a burrito is available too. They're good and all, but im big on how easy something is to eat, and tacos get fucking messy. The burrito is a perfect delivery system for the deliciousness. Its a little burro that will reliably carry and deliver all the good stuff you can load it up with.

Also, for coffee around here, it behooves you to take advantage of the great roasters and buy fresh beans, a $10 plastic V60 and brew your own pourover at home instead of blowing all your money on cafe drinks. coffee is one of those things that has a huge return on investment- you can make super great coffee and get real bougious about it for super cheap.
    Um.. have you seen the price of a decent home espresso system?

Check out TGApps thread. Super Cheap it is not.

I brew my own coffee and like the results,, but don't have much more than $300 invested in my setup. To the coffee guys that's like skiing on rentals with rear entry boots.

I’m a big fan of the concinita pibil from el camione, makes for a yummy burrito. Good beans in a French press the way to go, I like lighthouse but there are lots of good options. We should start a tasty cheap food in the pnw thread as I could use more spots.

As for the area it is crowded expensive and rains all the time but the MTB and bc skiing are hard to beat for near a city with jobs in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post

I brew my own coffee and like the results,, but don't have much more than $300 invested in my setup. To the coffee guys that's like skiing on rentals with rear entry boots.
    He also says in the thread that you get 90% of the way there with a $10 plastic V60.

Espresso is $$$$. All other methods for brewing are cheap. And outfreakingstanding.

What's the lowdown on the PNW?

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post

Disagree. Rental gear is Starbucks and Peet’s.

Mexican food angst is a big thing here, apparently.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I was triggered by OP's username.

I'll tell you why...

Well, it's clearly the best food

At least pizza in the PNW is amazing.

Right?