Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    All seattleites can talk about is dicks.
    Everyone loves Dicks!

Wow I got a surprising amount of shit from my post, but it’s my experience and I’ve lived all over the country. Maybe your Seattle native taste buds are pretty bad? Have any of you considered that?

But bashing aside it sounds like we need a Seattle food thread because apparently I live under a rock. I still think the casual food scene for a quick bite sucks for a city of this size.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Wasn't it about this time last year you were moving here?
    Hey man. That's 365 different nights of take out.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Hey man. That's 365 different nights of take out.
    Someone understands!

How many Michelin starred restaurants are there in Seattle?
    Portland?
    LA?
    SF?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Everyone loves Dicks!

I thought that clown says we shouldn't eat beef

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    I still think the casual food scene for a quick bite sucks for a city of this size.
    I actually do agree with this. Even moving to Portland with it's food truck scene was a total revelation.

Seattle is mired in red tape from the health department for some reason and is hamstrung for open real estate/parking lots. SLU there are some but they're gonna start going tits up now that amazonians are wfh'ing

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    I actually do agree with this. Even moving to Portland with it's food truck scene was a total revelation.

Seattle is mired in red tape from the health department for some reason and is hamstrung for open real estate/parking lots. SLU there are some but they're gonna start going tits up now that amazonians are wfh'ing
    Bullshit. It's not difficult at all to open a "mobile food establishment " in king county. I've done it.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Maybe Glademaster is looking for a roommate?
    Nah. He's on a roadbiking ak adventure with benny to piss off highangle.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

What's the lowdown on the PNW?

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    Morning, mags. I'm currently interviewing for a new gig that would require relocation to Seattle, and, without jinxing myself and putting the cart before the horse, it's looking like an opportunity that might be too good to pass up should I get an offer. That said, I've barely spent any time in that part of the world aside from one trip each to Whistler and Red Mountain. So what's the lowdown on the PNW mountain scene - terrain, accessibility, etc.?

I'm excited about the opportunity to escape the overcrowded madness that has become California, Utah, and Colorado where all of my riding days have been spent over the past few seasons (though I would dearly miss Mammoth), and the thought that a single day's drive could get me to Revelstoke is incredibly juicy.

What have been your experiences in the area, positive and negative?
    Lived here my whole life and being a creature of convenience tried to move obviously closer to my personal playground of choice. Just have to be willing to do the commute to work. Pretty much day trippin to ski areas to keep your commute times down is the norm because the areas here are not destination resorts by and large. Crowds are what crowds are here and everywhere until the government quits incentivizing people not to work. I lived in Bonney Lake for years and between there and Enumclaw are great spots if you are doing Crystal. Thinking Issaquah to North Bend folks makes it ez for the Pass areas. Stevens Pass skiers could chime in on their definition of reasonable commute because of your Seattle work. Good luck with your decisions and the PNW has great terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Crystal Skier; 10-18-2021 at 04:20 AM.

We have the largest avalanche debris in the world, both by size of debris, as well as breadth of inbounds that is covered by the debris field.

Driving to ski areas is super easy here because it is nearly always raining all the way into the parking lot, transitioning to snow on the lifts. Makes the driving low stress.

You get way more home for your money here than the bay area. you can pretty easily find a 40 year old 3x2 on 8000sf for under $1mil, for example.

The way that the bay area has taquerias, Seattle area has sushi joints. Same rules apply when eating at both- holes in the wall spots are delicious, but its risky to eat at the cheap ones past 8pm. Yamamotos revenge, etc.

S.A.D. is not a joke. It is real, and it hits hard in late April when its been 7 months straight of gray, cold rain, its now barely too warm to snow in the mountains, and you realize you still have 2 more months of gray cold rain till summer makes an appearance. That said, summer in Western Washington (all 2.5 months of it) is the best place in the country- perfect weather (very rarely below 72 or above 90 and sunny every day), unlimited mountain and water activities, and far enough north that days are super long. its the tits. that is, unless the winds blow the wrong way in which case we get all the smoke from WA fires, OR fires and BC fires.

No state income tax is dope.

It is absolutely insane how sudden the culture in WA shifts from uber liberal elite worldclass metropolitan international city... to straight up appalachia. I can drive 15 mins one way and be in seattle's international district, or 20 mins the other and be at tractor supply with a parking lot full of lifted trucks with 3%er stickers and trump flags. Similar to Oregon, but i think the transition here is much more sudden geographically?

the burritos suck here. after 8 years and only 1 good taqueria found (which promptly closed) i have given up and resigned myself to gorging on taquerias when i visit my parents back in the bay area.

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    Bullshit. It's not difficult at all to open a "mobile food establishment " in king county. I've done it.

Seattle, specifically

https://seattle.eater.com/2021/9/9/2...policy-impacts

Permits from SDOT, Terrible lot rent, health dept up your ass sounds like a pain in the ass to me.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    the burritos suck here. after 8 years and only 1 good taqueria found (which promptly closed) i have given up and resigned myself to gorging on taquerias when i visit my parents back in the bay area.
    el camion is as good as it gets in Seattle, which is pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by ptavv View Post
    el camion is as good as it gets in Seattle, which is pretty good
    Not a big burrito consumer, but for street tacos I'd argue Taqueria la Fondita is the best in the Seattle area that I've found.

Have you tried going to places where Hispanics actually live, like Kent, Auburn, South Tacoma?

It is absolutely insane how sudden the culture in WA shifts from uber liberal elite worldclass metropolitan international city... to straight up appalachia.
    That's because there is no state income tax.

Quote Originally Posted by ptavv View Post
    The diversity of even a broad category like "Chinese food" available in Seattle is mind blowing if you're interested in more than General Tso's chicken (try Xian noodles in the U district).
    Mind blowing compared to what? Not the Bay Area, which yes, Santa Cruz is sort of part of. Not saying Seattle is Fargo, but damn it gets weird hype.
    Last edited by dunfree ; 10-18-2021 at 10:47 AM.

Have you tried going to places where Hispanics actually live, like Kent, Auburn, South Tacoma?
    So you're saying that i have to drive 1.5-2hrs round trip for a decent burrito around here? That sucks. Like really sucks... especially for what is meant to be cheap and fast cuisine. growing up and living my 20s in an area filthy with great taquerias, it was big change for me when i moved here a while back. Within a 20 minute drive i have nearly every other type of oustanding food at my fingertips, but the mexican (specifially taquerias) in the Seattle area is the one category that is noticeably poor to me.

The way that the bay area has taquerias, Seattle area has sushi joints. Same rules apply when eating at both- holes in the wall spots are delicious, but its risky to eat at the cheap ones past 8pm. Yamamotos revenge, etc.

Seems like a fair trade to me. Bay Area burritos are maybe the best anywhere. You only have to drive a few hours east of Seattle to find a kickass burrito, but there's not much else going on in Royal City.

Skagit, Whatcom...

Originally Posted by californiagrown

It is absolutely insane how sudden the culture in WA shifts from uber liberal elite worldclass metropolitan international city... to straight up appalachia.

Originally Posted by altasnob
    That's because there is no state income tax.
    Maybe Trumpers just don't like the ocean?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Skagit, Whatcom...
    I live in the burrito desert bullseye apparently haha

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Skier View Post
    Crowds are what crowds are here and everywhere until the government quits incentivizing people not to work.
    LOL

Do I get a govt sponsored ski pass if I move to Seattle? Let us in on this secret.

I live in the burrito desert bullseye apparently haha
    It's even true here. As a general rule downtown = bland. You've got to get out to where people work with their hands to get the good stuff.

Not really a burrito place but Taco Chukis has the best El Pastor tacos I have had this side of the Mexican border.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I was born in this town
    Live here my whole life
    Probably come to die in this town
    Live here my whole life
    Never anything to do in this town
    Live here my whole life
    Never anything to do in this town
    Live here my whole life
    Probably learn to die in this town
    Live here my whole life
    Nothing to do, sit around at home
    Sit around at home, stare at the walls
    Stare at each other and wait till we die

Set me on fire

Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    It's even true here. As a general rule downtown = bland. You've got to get out to where people work with their hands to get the good stuff.
    strip malls have the best restaurants