Pivot heels with STH toes.

Did a quick search and couldn't find anything.

I've always been torn between wanting a dildo on the back of my binding, but also being a huge fanboy of the Salomon driver toe. In a perfect world' Salomon would have come out with a turntable heelpiece, but alas, here we are.

The questions are:

Has anyone mixed the two? Big concerns for me would be the ramp angle between the two bindings; the last thing I want is getting set into a weird angle on my ski or getting my AFD wonky for the toe. If this is a problem, I could see solutions including lifters for the heel or toe.

Also wondering if there would be any interference on forward pressure; my assumption would be no - both bindings use a toepiece that pivots, so forward pressure should be similar. I think a solution if it is a problem would be an ASTM torque test.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Yur gonna die...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

mount it up and test it (and let us know)

measure both factory ramp angle and add shims if needed to get that same angle (odds are look and salomon will not be the same angle anyways. Guessing look is flatter?)

Bench test that shit and report back..

Or, +1 yer gonna die..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Yeah, stock Pivots are flatter (especially with the newer GW AFD). But they're actually similar toe height to STH so that part works okay.

Seems like it would probably work fine if the forward pressure requirements are similar

Just curious, what's with the dildo requirement?

You got something against that solid Solly heel "thunk"??

As an engineer i am 100% sure there is a way to safely make this work, and reap the benefits. You go first though....

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    As an engineer i am 100% sure there is a way to safely make this work, and reap the benefits. You go first though....
    No doubt. If you can get a force sensor then you can measure the force of the toe lug on the binder toe piece on a properly set up STH. Then just set the pivot heel up to apply the same force. I feel like that's the most straightforward way. You could obviously do it on the backend by torque testing as well, but that seems more ambiguous for some reason.

But...why?

+2 thee shalt perish

Its gonna come down to forward pressure. Pivots seem to be lower but they use the same toes on SPX and what not so........

want my opinion??? probably not but you posted the question... just get some 15's and be done with it.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Be sure to test them landing switch too..

+1 yir gunna dye
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Its gonna come down to forward pressure. Pivots seem to be lower but they use the same toes on SPX and what not so........

want my opinion??? probably not but you posted the question... just get some 15's and be done with it.
    Fully agree, forward pressure is the wildcard here. Mount up, test, post.

I’ve always wanted a pivot heel and solly driver toe. The pivot toe looks like a 20 year old kids binding.

My current active quiver is all either metal toe Pivots or STHs. (Touring setups excluded.) I'm pretty happy in both. For the people here interested in a hybrid, is the adjustability of the STH toe the selling point or something else?

Toe pieces on the Salomon toe have always felt better to me. even with a lot of vibration in the binding, I find I still feel the ski a lot more with the STH than other binders. Also, my prerelease frequency is significantly higher on other bindings. That could entirely be bias on my part though.

Heel piece on pivots has one of, if not THE, shortest distance between screws. Additionally, the mount location is under the boot, which means the deadspot should be less. Lots of mogul skiers use pivots for a reason.

How are people going to know what a rad skier you are if you don't have a dildo heel?

Hoji used to run Pivot toes with 916 heels. I can't remember why now. Probably because they are the two strongest pieces of the strongest bindings made.

Ramp should be fine...Assuming you are fine skiing pretty flat. STH2-16 toe stack @ 18.5mm, Pivot 18 stack at 19mm. So that gives you a 0.5mm ramp.
    Compared with 1mm ramp in Pivots and 6mm ramp in STH2-16s.

I've been mulling over doing this myself. It's the holy grail for elastic travel... Would give you a total of 80mm of travel in the system which is absurd.
    (compared with 68mm total for both STH2-16 and Pivot 18)

I'd be very surprised if it doesn't test out in acceptable range, so long as the forward pressure and toe heights are correct I don't see an issue.

The thing I'd be curious about most is how much of the driving power on the STH comes from the heel and how different would it feel without it? No doubt the Pivot heel is better for ski flex and smaller deadspot.

I think you MUST also set up a similar ski with the Sally heels and Look toes. Test both, ski if looks good to go and report back..

no way guys...

This Only works with a nevada toe (Look) and a Marker FD heel - with a "Safety strap" ( or a long thong, wrapped tightly to provide additional ankle support ), preferably on a 207cm or a 212...

otherwise,

your (gonna) die ! +4

skiJ
    Last edited by skiJ; 10-21-2021 at 02:47 PM.

Reviving this thread for documentation's sake.

Initial combo not great. Changes for STH toe have complicated the issue. Either need an OG toe or a heel riser on the pivot heel. Also unsure if maxing out the arms is causing the issue on the boot or a weird interaction between the toes and heels.

Will also probably need to remount. Likely tribute ski will be the gunsmokes if I can fit one more heel mount in the swiss cheese project.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20221113_160655.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	127.2 KB 
ID:	433813Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20221113_160558.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	433814Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20221113_160608.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	433815Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20221113_160629.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	433816

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Pointless.
    Training for Alpental

If you are maxing out the arms and they are still pinching your boot heels like that, my guess is that you need to remount the heel back or the toe forward... looks like too much forward pressure.

Sent from my SM-A536W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Why ruin a pivot heel piece with a Salomon toe piece that one day you’ll look down at and the toe wings will have loosened and your boot is flopping around in?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Just mount a 916 / STH-Steel and call it a day, lol. Or Pivot toe with 916 heel if ~flat ramp is desired.