Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,097

    Early November Euro Trip - Worth Skiing?

    I have a work trip to Munich in early November and will have 4 total days between groups meetings. Looking at Ikon resorts, it looks like Zermatt and Kitzbuhel will both be open. Will either be worth visiting that early in the season? Since it's basically shoulder season for everywhere, deciding between skiing or doing other tourist activities.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    closer
    Posts
    3,910
    Kitzbühel is only a ribbon of death.
    Zermatt is definitely nice in the fall and should have substantial Piste skiing. ( most likely on the glacier only)

    And it's spectacular. It's Zermatt...

    Off Piste is barely covered crevasses.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,097
    Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Kitzbühel is only a ribbon of death.
    Zermatt is definitely nice in the fall and should have substantial Piste skiing. ( most likely on the glacier only)

    And it's spectacular. It's Zermatt...

    Off Piste is barely covered crevasses.
    That's what I was thinking. That time of year is tough since most alpine hiking is no longer available but the skiing isn't there yet either. I'm watching the weather and keeping the dates open until it gets closer to keep some flexibility.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    542
    Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    I have a work trip to Munich in early November and will have 4 total days between groups meetings. Looking at Ikon resorts, it looks like Zermatt and Kitzbuhel will both be open. Will either be worth visiting that early in the season? Since it's basically shoulder season for everywhere, deciding between skiing or doing other tourist activities.
    Go to Zermatt if you’ve not been. Fabulous place and the Matterhorn views are sensational. Great restaurants too if they’re open. Depending on conditions you could be restricted to the glacier or be skiing knee deep powder. Keep your fingers crossed!

    This was November a few years back I think

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    24,888
    There's a bunch of glacier places in Austria like Kaunertal, Stubai, Hintertux, Pitztal, Mölltal that will be open.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,097
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    There's a bunch of glacier places in Austria like Kaunertal, Stubai, Hintertux, Pitztal, Mölltal that will be open.
    Thanks, Buster. I'm familiar with the glacier skiing in Austria, but was looking at whether it was worth it (e.g. Carting my gear across the pond, coming down from Munich, etc.). I'll just keep watching the weather to see if they get snow. If skiing, I'm really only looking at Ikon resorts to help me with justifying buying it on top of my Alpental pass. Have a week in UT planned, but doesn't quite fully cover the cost of the Ikon passes.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,102
    The trip for Munich to Zermatt isn’t gonna really keep ya in the do it cheap catagory...
    Zugspitze opens Nov. 19th, that can be done pretty easily in a day without needing a car. I was in Pitztal early May. Impressive lift to the top with lots to ski (at least in Spring)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    49,398
    I drove through the Sella Ronda resort towns a few years ago in mid November. It was cold as fuck, so the guns were blasting, and an early surprise storm gave Austria a foot and a half and made the Dolomites white, but, still, way too early unless you live there and know where to go. The gondola was running out of Cortina to a few runs very high, and there was a quad running up on a pass that seemed to have some young racer kids training, but, not much else. Pretty quiet.

    The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,097
    Quote Originally Posted by beer30 View Post
    The trip for Munich to Zermatt isn’t gonna really keep ya in the do it cheap catagory...
    Zugspitze opens Nov. 19th, that can be done pretty easily in a day without needing a car. I was in Pitztal early May. Impressive lift to the top with lots to ski (at least in Spring)
    Yeah, probably not cheap. The train is way longer than I expected. Renting a car, it looks like a little over 6 hours. Being from the western US, that's not too bad.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,097
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I drove through the Sella Ronda resort towns a few years ago in mid November. It was cold as fuck, so the guns were blasting, and an early surprise storm gave Austria a foot and a half and made the Dolomites white, but, still, way too early unless you live there and know where to go. The gondola was running out of Cortina to a few runs very high, and there was a quad running up on a pass that seemed to have some young racer kids training, but, not much else. Pretty quiet.
    Yeah, just spoke with my coworker whose kids are in a race program that trains at Stubai early season. He said unless something big comes in weather wise, he wouldn't waste his time. I'm going again in March and will get some real skiing in then.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,102
    If it’s after the 19th and ya wanna get some turns in on the island in the sky that’s the Zugspitze let me know. I can probably rustle up some gear for you and join if I have the day off.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    564
    Or just set up base in Innsbruck for those days and have Hintertux, Stubai, and Sölden within easy reach!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    none
    Posts
    7,466
    Taking your boots and just enough clothes to ski, wouldn’t take up that much room.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wasatch Back: 7000'
    Posts
    11,534
    Add Kitzsteinhorn/Kaprun to that list. When I was living in Germany, we would always ski Kaprun, Sölden and Hintertux before Thanksgiving
    “A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.”
    ― Milton Friedman

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Before
    Posts
    24,888
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Inside the Circle
    Posts
    2,628
    +1 for Hintertux. I've skied there every month except August. Worth doing just for the views.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •