Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rampage 2021

Dumb Q, but do they decommission all of the Rampage features when the event is over, or restrict access? Just thinking that if the public were able to crawl around there all year, hoo boy, would there be carnage.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

The modern venues have all been on private land. Some of the older venues are accessible and still get ridden, but weather does a pretty good job with the decommissioning.

Quote Originally Posted by grabtindy View Post
    The modern venues have all been on private land.
    There's a long-standing rumor, probably an actively-cultivated one, that the modern venues are on private land. But, this is incorrect and they are in fact on BLM land. You can confirm this yourself by going to the county's GIS viewer or flipping on the "Land Owners" layer in Trailforks. The road to the modern venues crosses private land and vehicular access is not allowed, but it is legal to ride in on your bike as long as you close all gates behind you.

The features at the modern venues are not decommissioned and people definitely go out there and ride stuff. I personally know people that have done it. The weather does beat a lot of the stuff down like you said, but it doesn't take that much shovel work to freshen things up. But, most people just go to the old site since it's right off the road and still has no shortage of options if you want to go huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    There's a long-standing rumor, probably an actively-cultivated one, that the modern venues are on private land. But, this is incorrect and they are in fact on BLM land. You can confirm this yourself by going to the county's GIS viewer or flipping on the "Land Owners" layer in Trailforks. The road to the modern venues crosses private land and vehicular access is not allowed, but it is legal to ride in on your bike as long as you close all gates behind you.

The features at the modern venues are not decommissioned and people definitely go out there and ride stuff. I personally know people that have done it. The weather does beat a lot of the stuff down like you said, but it doesn't take that much shovel work to freshen things up. But, most people just go to the old site since it's right off the road and still has no shortage of options if you want to go huge.
    IMO it is better for average beaters like me to stick to the old site because when you inevitably get a tiny bit cocky and break yourself into a few sharp pieces the ambulances can get to you easier and they don't have to deal with crossing private property.

Got married in Zion last September. On one of the down days I convinced my new wife to spend an entire afternoon putzting around in the rental car to the last 2 rampage sites and then hiking around them. The rain beats stuff up, but you and a buddy could get a feature back in rideable shape in an hour or so of digging i bet. Lots of folks out driving around those roads, so if its illegal or crosses private land, no one really cares. It all gets treated like open BLM land.

Honestly, the features are huge and big, not doubt, but not really any bigger than the one-off hits and stunts ive seen around the PNW. What makes it so gnarly is that there are 6-8 of these massive features and crux moves all stacked on top of one another linked by super steep loose chutes, and they are ALL getting tricked.

The feature that was most impressive IMO, was Semenuks lily pad feature from his 2019 run. That shit was fucking bonkers. even more so than the Strait/Zink chute.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200927_163428.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	389466

Brendogs Dwayne johnsons rock feature upper left, lily pad feature just in the shade on the right. Picture is super zoomable.
    Last edited by californiagrown; 10-18-2021 at 05:10 PM.

I swore the "main" road that contest spectators ride in on had a gate. That may have changed, and there's lots of other roads in the area and alternate access points. The private land is all very close to the river.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 10-18-2021 at 06:46 PM.

I was just out there this September. You can drive pretty much up to the base, and ride to your hearts content. I didn’t see anything indicating I was trespassing on the way in. As said above, the takeoffs and landings get very degraded by the weather, and generally need cleaned up to be ridden.

It was pretty humbling tbh. I like to think I’m a pretty solid freerider, and went there expecting to be able to ride top to bottom. no fucking way. Maybe with everything buffed out, but still probably not. Shits huge, and really really exposed.

I swore the "main" road that contest spectators ride in on had a gate. That may have changed, and there's lots of other roads in the area and alternate access points. The private land is all very close to the river.
    There was a gate, but it was just the normal unlocked BLM cattle gate.

“Do Or Do Not…There Is No Try”
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Brining it back to an old venue seemed to guarantee injuries. They don't get less hurt with more time, they get more hurt. Same shit as before, just bigger, faster, flippier. Less creative, more YOLO. Call the young guys what you want, but it's like the Olympics or World Champs for them. Go big or die trying.
    I always feel like there's a Michael Jordan affect. Points for being The Man. Zink always gets them. Kyle gets them just for showing up. Sorge gets them every time he lands the same backflip. TMAC will never get them. Brendog will never get them.
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Brining it back to an old venue seemed to guarantee injuries. They don't get less hurt with more time, they get more hurt. Same shit as before, just bigger, faster, flippier. Less creative, more YOLO. Call the young guys what you want, but it's like the Olympics or World Champs for them. Go big or die trying.
    I always feel like there's a Michael Jordan affect. Points for being The Man. Zink always gets them. Kyle gets them just for showing up. Sorge gets them every time he lands the same backflip. TMAC will never get them. Brendog will never get them.
    Now that you mention it it TMAC had two awesome and flawless lines but seemed to get brushed over and sort of ignored. I thought that was lame. I really thought his runs were better than Kyles but he was scored below Kyle. Weird.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Rampage is probably (definitely?) the absolute craziest event in all of sports? It's completely insane what these guys are doing. I find myself puckered just watching it. I know they love it, but it's almost getting to be too consequential.
    Proximity wing suit flying to me, is the nuttiest sport out there. Imagine if they had an event for that that made riders step it up further than their comfort zones.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Proximity wing suit flying to me, is the nuttiest sport out there. Imagine if they had an event for that that made riders step it up further than their comfort zones.
    Oh for sure it's statistically one of the most dangerous activities of any type that you can do, but that's mostly just individuals doing their thing and not centered around an event.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Missed it all due to work/traveling last week. Last night was catching up on some footage and saw the straight on shot of Brage’s case. That impact was fucking insane.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Oh for sure it's statistically one of the most dangerous activities of any type that you can do, but that's mostly just individuals doing their thing and not centered around an event.
    And a good thing that it's not a competition sort of sport. You would literally be tuning in to watch people explode into blood vapor.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Id be totally fine sith rampage not being a comp, like dark fest. I dont care who wins. Just seeing them do what they do is what its all about

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    It was pretty humbling tbh. I like to think I’m a pretty solid freerider, and went there expecting to be able to ride top to bottom. no fucking way. Maybe with everything buffed out, but still probably not. Shits huge, and really really exposed.
    Did you make it to the old site? Tons of stuff there that is better maintained, and like muted said the EMTs can get to you much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Id be totally fine sith rampage not being a comp, like dark fest. I dont care who wins. Just seeing them do what they do is what its all about
    I would be totally on-board with no live scoring and the athletes vote on a winner and un-ranked top 10 after the fact.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    There actually was a World Wingsuit League set up for this, I'm not sure why it fizzled out about 5 years ago.

Did you make it to the old site? Tons of stuff there that is better maintained, and like muted said the EMTs can get to you much easier.

I would be totally on-board with no live scoring and the athletes vote on a winner and un-ranked top 10 after the fact.
    Yeah I’ve ridden the old site off Kolob Terrace Rd a number of times over the years. It’s absolutely puckering over there too, haha.

And totally agreed, it would be really cool if they did away with the live judging. Awards for rider’s choice, people’s choice, best trick, etc could easily replace the panel of judges.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    It’s absolutely puckering over there too, haha.
    Especially when there's a gaggle of middle-schoolers throwing down like they own the place.

That'd work. Still be a great show. I'd cut off digging to leave 2 days minimum of riding practice. Maybe even 3 laps on finals day with one throw away

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    There actually was a World Wingsuit League set up for this, I'm not sure why it fizzled out about 5 years ago.
    Probably insurance / liability.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

One thing that seems certain is that more technical tricks are what's going to win. I feel like they've basically maxed out how gnarly the lines can be and the size of the drops and jumps. If they try to push that aspect any further one mistake probably means permanent disability or death.

Agreed.

It's getting to be like Skateboard videos where I just can't watch b/c there will inevitably be some pretty horrible impact, though these end up with ambulance/helicopter rides b/c of severely broken bones or worse. In street skateboarding/bmx I just can't watch helmetless rider's head slamming into pavement/concrete etc.

One thing that seems certain is that more technical tricks are what's going to win. I feel like they've basically maxed out how gnarly the lines can be and the size of the drops and jumps. If they try to push that aspect any further one mistake probably means permanent disability or death.
    FWIW, Tyler McCaul has repeatedly said that the riders can go much, much bigger than what they currently are at Rampage. https://www.welovecycling.com/wide/2...in-the-future/

Getting the speed right on one big feature is tough enough. Its gotta be soooo damn hard to get it right on the 5-6 giant features they each have in their runs... and coming up short usually means hospital, and going too big usually means hospital. Maybe the rules should be that they can only hit 3 man-made drops/jumps in a run, and the rest has to be natural. That would increase the size and quality of the built features (massive landings), reduce the likely-hood of bad speed into features, and force more raw "big-mountain" type riding in the runs.