Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Rampage 2021

Brage's drop was measured at 70 feet and claimed to be the biggest drop at Rampage ever.

The whole event was extremely exciting if not unnerving to watch. totally incredible shit.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Always so tense to watch. Soo glad the wind didnt pick up. That made for the best rampage. So many good runs. Semenuk is def the goat. Really hard to judge after that. Really hope TVS is ok. I thought this might be his big comeback year at rampage

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Rampage 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Question: what do these bikes here actually cost?
    10k give or take. Though at least one guy riding a frame from 2015, but with 7k of parts on it.

Semenuks 2nd run was phenomenal though so many incredible lines put down. Really liked the rookie kids tricks at the bottom. Ton of style

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TVS… saw a screen capture. He would have crashed no matter what but looks like that too tube snapped

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Rampage 2021

From TVS:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVEqJqxL_mW/?hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by zlatham View Post
    From TVS:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVEqJqxL_mW/?hl=en

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

That’s going to be a long recovery

Healing vibes to TVS. That sounds like a long, long recovery. I hope we get to see him back on the bike eventually.

Per pinkbike TVS won best trick and Jaxson Riddle won best style. Easily agree with those awards.

I really hope I get to attend next year, the feeling at the venue is unmatched.

God dang that's gotta be a painful bunch of injuries to have all at once.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

That has to be right up there with the worst Rampage injuries ever. It will be amazing if he can come back 100% from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    That has to be right up there with the worst Rampage injuries ever. It will be amazing if he can come back 100% from that.
    Probably second only to Paul Bass.

Rampage is probably (definitely?) the absolute craziest event in all of sports? It's completely insane what these guys are doing. I find myself puckered just watching it. I know they love it, but it's almost getting to be too consequential.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I think i say something similar every year. Maybe because im old, beat and brittle but i think these athletes need to make better decisions. Young bucks go into gnarly ski bc zones and throwdown bonkers shit but most are constantly evaluating their line , escape route and av conditions to mitigate the risk to fight another day. Redbull could start by setting and end date for digging and allowing more practice. These athletes seem rushed to get it built , practice and throwdown. At the height theyre dropping out of the sky now crashes on most, or atleast the biggest, features is to be avoided. If youre not feeling the trick for the win throw any easier trick and make the top ten, work on the trick and step it up next year. The risk v reward is squewed waaaay to much to the risk side of things. Semenuk, godziek, sorge make wise decisions. They generally stay within themselves and have a plan if it goes sideways. Sorge gets scored well by the judges and the pb comments seem to say he got overscored. He could expand his tricks but i think he's comfortable going massive, hits his tricks and lines and foesnt look super sketch, similar to Strait. The airs are just too big to be consistently crashing. There has to be more incremental progression in the tricks theyre throwing down. I think TVS could have pulled that with style with another day or 2 of practice. Id much rather see that. We wont see him create magic for another year at that level , and possibly longer

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Rampage is probably (definitely?) the absolute craziest event in all of sports? It's completely insane what these guys are doing. I find myself puckered just watching it. I know they love it, but it's almost getting to be too consequential.
    Definitely insane. They make it look easy too...until they don't.

Big wave surfing is batshit crazy also.

The real turning point will be when someone dies.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Definitely insane. They make it look easy too...until they don't.

Big wave surfing is batshit crazy also.
    Was thinking big wave surfing too and there is crazy risk in that, but the impacts are different. Probably higher chance of death/drowning in big wave, but otherwise injuries are probably(?) not as severe?

Either way crazy consequences

All the guys that had clean runs were local and/or tons of experience with rampage. A wc racer with the same amount of practice laps as these guys put in would just try and get down, grab some points and full send another day when the time was right. Not sure what their paycheques are like but if they had agents a good agent would have them consider the long game

Quote Originally Posted by VTskibum View Post
    Was thinking big wave surfing too and there is crazy risk in that, but the impacts are different. Probably higher chance of death/drowning in big wave, but otherwise injuries are probably(?) not as severe?

Either way crazy consequences

Deaths and drowning in big wave surfing are pretty rare. Even padel sessions generally have a wave runner lurking to help guys out of trouble. Inflatable air vests have been a huge change to. Guys die more often in smaller (still big but not considered big wave) conditions at low tides on shallow reefs. Steep skiing is really insane, literally no room for a mistake. And 8000 meter + climbing is hands down the most dangerous sport as far as chances of dying.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Just to be clear I’m not saying cancel it, it’s awesome and these guys are such bad asses. I just have mixed feelings watching it where I’m half stoked and half relieved when they pull it off.

Yeah, if we're discussing sanctioned 'events" or "contests", then Rampage is up there.

Just hairball sports is different. Class V and VI whitewater, 8k meter climbs, technical high elevation mixed climbing, driving the interstate every day to work. The list goes on and on...

There were 12 riders and 3? replacement guys. How many had season ending injuries practicing/competing last week? 4 I think, and maybe 3 others had some hard falls - bruised lung, etc. That's a high percentage of major crashes IMO.

Jaxson did difficult, unique tricks that were relatively safe (compared to flips and spins) but he wasn't rewarded for it. Instead the judges highly rewarded tricks that could have led to season-ending injuries.

The riders would probably laugh at our concerns but it's all kinda fucked up.

^^ I don't think they'd laugh about it. I'm sure they have mixed feelings about it too sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    The real turning point will be when someone dies.
    Which has happened on the FWT, and I think we have seen some changes since..

At the end of the day tho these guys know what they are getting into, so more power to them for throwing down and taking the risks??

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Which has happened on the FWT, and I think we have seen some changes since..
    Flyin' Ryan Hawks at Kirkwood, ugh. Curious, though, what changes you think they've made since then? From what I remember, it was fairly soft out that day and he just got extremely unlucky landing on a super hard patch that didn't look like it.

Saw this on the right nav, was a preview for the '21 Rampage, but still a good and humorous watch

https://www.tetongravity.com/video/b...s-into-context