Thread: Lugless?

Lugless?

Right now, it looks like Lugless is probably the cheapest way to ship a pair of skis that I'd like from *way* east to me, on the left coast.

Looking for any beta from people who have used lugless!
    They get both good and really bad reviews. (Seems they have a habit of claiming over-weight/size and then back-billing way after the fact. Like a couple of weeks post delivery! They have all sorts of excuses, but I don't know how much to believe the complainers or the company.)

So, what's the experience of the collective?
    Is lugless a total JONG move that will get me killed, or the best thing since Kastle MX98's, or something in between?

(There are a few scattered posts here about lugless, but not many. And not a lot of detail, even when mentioned. This is an effort to get a better feel.)

Everyone will back bill you if you try to pass a box off as smaller / lighter than it is. USPS will send it back to you, UPS / FedEx will just charge your card the difference. It's measured automatically so you aren't gonna cheat them - same reason you can get a return label marked as 1lb and ship back a 5lb item to an online retailer.

Lugless is just giving you bulk FedEx pricing. You can also try Pirateship or Bikeflights for UPS rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    Everyone will back bill you if you try to pass a box off as smaller / lighter than it is. USPS will send it back to you, UPS / FedEx will just charge your card the difference. It's measured automatically so you aren't gonna cheat them - same reason you can get a return label marked as 1lb and ship back a 5lb item to an online retailer.

Lugless is just giving you bulk FedEx pricing. You can also try Pirateship or Bikeflights for UPS rates.
    I totally get that. I'm still not sure I believe every instance I've seen matches that the end-user screwed up. And it shouldn't take two weeks, and there should be something pretty substantial documenting it. (All which appear missing.)

All that said - I'm not looking for some excuse or explanation about what happened. Neither of us really know. But if there's more than a few mags who have used it with good results I'd feel better about trusting them, because there'd be some real-world experience data. It's not foolproof, but it's way better than the tea-leaves reading we're both doing at the moment.

So, again; Has anyone used Lugless? (Or pirateship/bikeflights) What was the experience. Anything to be aware of to save hassle?

2-4 weeks to receive a corrected invoice / bill from UPS or FedEx are normal. They send a thorough invoice to the account holder (which would be Lugless in this case), you won't see that most likely. It isn't lugless, bikeflights, etc billing you for that - it is UPS or FedEx and they are passing it along. They note their measured dimensions versus stated and break down the charges on that invoice.

I run a bike brand so we ship a ton and unfortunately have dealt with all of the FedEx / UPS bullshit. They are impossible to deal with and truly maddening. If you round up your parcel size (ie: 51.25" is actually 52") you'll be fine and will not receive charges after the fact. Currently, FedEx is an absolute disaster in the PNW and we only ship UPS if going there - so my recommendation would be to skip Lugless as their UPS rates look pretty bad.

Pirateship has been the closest to my negotiated UPS rate from work - I have shipped skis, boots, and lots of other items with them no problem.

Pirateship has some very good rates for skis, glad they're legit. Going to try them with UPS, given how much I hate USPS.