Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Down (or other crazy warm) Trigger Mittens

I have sh!t circulation, and my hands get cold. All. The. Time. I feel like I've tried just about everyone's high-end mittens over the years (Hestra and Flylow most recently) with or without liners, but none of them quite cut it on low teens or single digit days.

One day a few years ago I borrowed a pair of my friend's Burton AK Oven Mitts, and I couldn't believe how insanely warm they were. Down insulation for the win (duh.) I'm a much bigger fan of "trigger" style mittens with a separate forefinger, though, and I was wondering if anyone has come across any with down (or similarly crazy warm) insulation? Yes I fully understand that a trigger mitten is inherently less warm than a standard mitten. No, I don't particularly care to spend $250 on a pair of electric gloves. Just holding out hope for a toasty trigger miracle glove.

In the end might have to resign myself to a standard 4-finger down mitten (the Outdoor Research Stormbound Sensor is the only I've found with a proper palm other than the Burton), but I thought I'd check with the mags first.

Free the powder!! /end thread

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by prsboogie View Post
    Free the powder!! /end thread

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    2nd the Free the pow or try BD mercury it has a trigger finger in the liner.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    I have similar circulation issues, I'm pretty happy with Oyuki... https://usa.oyuki.com/product-tag/mens-gloves-mitts/. I have one of their midweight models, don't recall which, but it is definitely warmer than other models I've tried of similar rating. Less clammy too. I bet their uber cold rated models are great. Only downside on my pair is the liner isn't removable, but haven't had a need to do that yet anyway. I sno sealed and the inside stays nice and dry.

No real life usage of the BD soloist trigger mitts I bought last spring yet, but the liner is insanely comfortable. Seem like they’ll be very warm.

Try wearing nitrile gloves inside your mitts or gloves, they act like a vapor barrier to keep your gloves dry

my hands sweat and the gloves get wet but with a vapor barrier the glove does not get wet from within and the snow doesnt melt either so at -15C the glove satys completely dry

another thing that works is the chemical toe warmers, the toe warmers work > the glove warmers cuz they don't s fall out of your glove cuz of the sticky back, I take the backing off, balance them on the back of my hand, put my hand in the glove or mitt and press the sticky to the inside top of the glove, plenty warm for a day of skiing
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I own the AK Oven Mitts, use them most days. I agree they are awesome, I wish they would make a trigger version of those. They are surprisingly dexterous for a standard mitt. Some people hate the internal finger separation and feel it compromises warmth. That may be true but they are still warm enough for me on almost any Utah winter day, and the finger separation allows me to do more tasks without removing them, unlike bulkier mitts like the BD Mercury Mitt.

The Oven Mitt also has a built-in leash, a short under-the-jacket cuff (which I like), and a 2” zipper on the inside of the wrist/cuff that make it super easy to take on and off as needed. Mine are starting to pack out after about 100 days of use. On sale replacements here:

https://www.evo.com/outlet/mittens/burton-ak-oven-mitts

Trying to decide if I should get another pair or go trigger. Last time I looked, the two short cuff triggers with the most insulation by the numbers were the Oyuki Pep and the BD Angel Finger. Both use 100-150 gm of Primaloft front/back, but neither has down (or the wrist zipper) like the Over Mitt.

https://www.evo.com/mittens/oyuki-pe...xoC6i4QAvD_BwE

And yes, the Angel is technically a womens glove, but you get the badass mustache finger

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.co...RoCCjMQAvD_BwE
    Last edited by DGamms; 10-13-2021 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Typo

Thanks for the recommendations. I've noticed Oyuki of late, but I hadn't seen any real reviews yet. Didn't want to buy a pair of gloves just because I think Pep is the shit (which he absolutely is.) Never heard of Free the Powder, so I'll definitely check them out. No qualms buying women's product if it fits. I've spent enough time as a professional designer to know that the vast majority of "women's" or "men's" gear is just unisex product that's been recolored and re-sized. Case in point - I wear a men's 9.5 athletic shoe and often buy women's 11s because they're at the perfect edge of the women's size curve to often be in stock but on clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Try wearing nitrile gloves inside your mitts or gloves, they act like a vapor barrier to keep your gloves dry
    I've heard other people recommend this, but I've never tried it. Seems like your hands would get crazy clammy, but maybe that's okay since said clamminess stays inside the nitriles effectively turning them into a little wetsuits for your hands?

I've been really happy with the BD Guide Finger for my warmest glove option.

Quote Originally Posted by KJA64 View Post
    2nd the Free the pow or try BD mercury it has a trigger finger in the liner.
    This FTW

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    This FTW

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Different strokes for different folks… this falls clearly into personal preference territory. But I’ve owned both of the above mitts, and prefer the AK Oven Mitt over either of them. Warmer than the FTP Mitt. Easier on and off than either of them because of the wrist zipper. More dexterous than the Mercury Mitt by a long shot.

YMMV of course.

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    I've heard other people recommend this, but I've never tried it. Seems like your hands would get crazy clammy, but maybe that's okay since said clamminess stays inside the nitriles effectively turning them into a little wetsuits for your hands?
    yeah you get over it pretty quick, it is cheap and easy to try,

so walk into any unfinished basement and what do you see but insulation behind a vapor barrier, so the nitrile or vinal glove is your vapor barrier and your ski glove is the insulating layer

but the toe warmers in the gloves or on the toes are definatley the shit so I buy them by the display pack and always have some in my pack or jacket pocket
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    Different strokes for different folks… this falls clearly into personal preference territory. But I’ve owned both of the above mitts, and prefer the AK Oven Mitt over either of them. Warmer than the FTP Mitt. Easier on and off than either of them because of the wrist zipper. More dexterous than the Mercury Mitt by a long shot.

YMMV of course.
    That's good to know. I'm intrigued by the FTPs since they specifically mention putting more insulation in their gloves than normal to make them work better for lifties, patrollers, etc. where you might not be as active and generating as much heat as someone riding all day. Even if they're not quite as warm as the Oven Mitt, having a trigger option is a big bonus for me. I might give 'em a shot and try out the nitrile liner idea, too.

I own the FTP trigger mit. My hands run super warm so I only wore them once last winter. They were crazy warm, warm enough for the OP? Not sure. I think he would need to look into the AK oven mit.

Oyuki Shaka

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    Oyuki Shaka
    Hahahaha. I almost want to buy these just to justify their existence since they almost undoubtedly started as a bad joke during a brainstorming meeting.

Quote Originally Posted by burrito View Post
    Hahahaha. I almost want to buy these just to justify their existence since they almost undoubtedly started as a bad joke during a brainstorming meeting.
    Here's one of the reviews, "Love these gloves! Very warm and allows one self to transfer stoke without having to take em off." lol

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    I own the FTP trigger mit. My hands run super warm so I only wore them once last winter. They were crazy warm, warm enough for the OP? Not sure. I think he would need to look into the AK oven mit.

https://www.freethepowder.com/collec...oducts/rx3-pro

https://store.cyberweld.com/tiwemibobrco.html

the warmest mitts I ever had were a pair of three-finger welder's gauntlet mitts -

I wore a heavy wool glove ( wigwam ) inside them, and my hands NEVER got cold. they wore like iron.
    I was on my third pair of wool gloves after five seasons of daily wear, the mitts look liked *New* when I set them on the roof ( of the vehicle ) and drove away...

Good luck - skiJ

you might also look at a lobster claw mitt -

warmer for your forefinger than a three-finger ( I tried to determine the advantage of a 'trigger finger ' to you and did not see it in your post )

https://chokodesign.com/us/acc/mitt-claw-storm.html

( also comes in leather ( warmer while dry ; longer to dry If wet. )

I wear the FTP lobster mitts paragliding and my hands still freeze. There really isn't that much insulation to them. If it's below freezing I need chemical hands warmers, too. It is nice to transfer my index finger into the 3 finger compartment to warm it up. But maybe my hands are just prone to cold, especially while flying.

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    …you might also look at a lobster claw mitt…

warmer for your forefinger than a three-finger ( I tried to determine the advantage of a 'trigger finger ' to you and did not see it in your post )…
    I’m not opposed to a lobster, but you mostly only see them from goofy cycling brands (says the guy that works for a cycling brand that used to make lobsters.)

I like the trigger style for the forefinger dexterity when you’re grabbing zipper pulls and such…and because they look like ninja shoes for your hands

Name:  696-2360-00_StormClawMitts.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  35.0 KB

lobsters have Two two-finger ,,, (fingers) -

the Choko's are Canadian snowmobile mitts - nylon or leather.

Sandy used to have a pair of the PI Winter lobsters ( I don't see the puffys on their website anymore, but he wore them with satisfaction for several seasons ) -

I understand the ninja appeal ; my welder's mitts had an Orange (asbestos. Not really - I don't think so ( But it was supposed to be Heat resistant ) )
    . . . an Orange gauntlet - and the paws, ,,, had to be cowhide. I could not even nick them. Nice, durable leather.

when I lost them after five seasons, they looked *new* ( I paid two bucks for 'em at a Resale shop. )

... ninja mitts -

I second putting toe heaters in mitts for finger warmth -

oh - and don't underestimate the value of a gauntlet for keeping your hands warm -
    any gap at your wrist IS heat loss. !

Good luck. skiJ
    Last edited by skiJ; 10-14-2021 at 09:56 PM.

BD Mercury Mitts are warmer than anything else that I have used. That said I use the XXXer trick and put nitrile surgical gloves under my ski gloves cuz I hate touring in mitts. Those + OR Stormtracker gloves are pretty close to perfect.

I also like the BD Helio glove combo but the price is comical; get drunk before you pay that much for gloves so at least you have an excuse.

The BD Super Light Mitts are also ridiculously warm (so much so that they almost never come out of my pack). Not sure how well they'd stand up to the abuse of a full day of skiing though.

These will win. Yeah, it's a hunting company and you'll either be buying camo or brown. You won't find a warmer trigger mitt unless they have a power source.

https://www.firstlite.com/products/grizzly-2-mitt

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    These will win. Yeah, it's a hunting company and you'll either be buying camo or brown. You won't find a warmer trigger mitt unless they have a power source.

https://www.firstlite.com/products/grizzly-2-mitt
    Those are some surprisingly well-patterned gloves for a hunting brand. Smaller companies are often using OEM factory product, but these look like they had some real work put into them.