Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

School Me On Ski Lessons

Recently relocated to Denver and my lady has agreed to taking a ski lesson(s) this year. I'm trying to make it the best experience possible. She was developing solid intermediate skills some 30+ years past on the east coast but didn't keep up with it. I'm thinking a couple of adult group half day sessions, but open to pros/cons of that approach.

So, what are your thoughts on who has the best ski school setup? Preferably on Epic but not a deal breaker if not.

Thanks!

Naked pics of lady necessary to provide best advice...

having taught my kids to ski and recently let someone else teach my grand children I would definatley hire some one to start a skier but where on the curve your GF is who can say without naked picts ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Dumb0ldDad View Post
    Just send video of "your lady" skiing to Bushwacka. He'll provide objective comments.
    Make sure her pole straps are removed.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Fuck lessons and their outrageous prices. Ice skate. Roller blade. Watch videos of Mikaela Shiffrin ski slalom and GS (speed events are for people who don't know how to turn). Watch ski racing drill videos and then replicate on the hill. The drill that took my skiing to the next level more than any other is skiing on one ski (or just make each turn on the inside edge only; the only way to turn is to throw your upper body down the fall line, a feeling that is really tough to get used to). Once you master this you are officially a good skier. Just go skiing a bunch.

In college, I took my friend who had never skied in his life, but was an elite (like nearly NHL elite) hockey player to the summit of Vail for his first run of his life. He did fine. My buddy here has his teenage son skiing backcountry glaciers on like his 10th time on skis in his life. No lessons. Just watching videos. Also take videos so you can see how much you suck and make adjustments.

I learned in the Fast Pass thread that lessons are only useful for skipping lift lines. So maybe consider lessons for yourself.

Has she considered growing up in a ski town and starting to race from a young age?
    People here are typically assholes (it's part of the charm) - dan_pdx

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    Has she considered growing up in a ski town and starting to race from a young age?
    Listen to him. He’s pre-med.

Save your money for a fast pass. StompIt tutorials gots all the info you needs.

https://www.youtube.com/c/StompItTutorials/videos

In my experience, the best & cheapest way to go is to have a mutual friend give her tips/coaching.

You could be a world-class ski coach and she still wouldn't want to hear it from you. Also mentally commit yourself to spending the day on the bunny hill. For me this meant packing extra beers and practicing skiing switch

Do not ever try to teach her yourself. Don't even give her pointers, she won't listen, and she'll get frustrated.

Don't ever try to take her on any run that you think might challenge her. Keep her in her comfort zone and don't try to push any limits. Let her progress at her own comfortable pace. When she's learning, do not be anywhere near her. Go ski some other run.

The most important factor in a ski lesson is finding the right instructor.

Find out what mountain has the cheapest lessons and take her there. BUT; before you go, find who's their best, most experienced coach, and make sure she's booked with that particular pro. For your girlfriend, find an instructor who's an older female. Avoid signing up for lessons with the typical ski instructor (an impatient teenage male who skis hard and fast, and will probably be stoned).

If she finds an instructor she likes, offer to come back for return lessons "off the books" and pay that person in cash.

Tip the ski instructor well.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i taught my old lady
    still spansered 25 years later
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    Spud fkn nailed it with this solid advice. My parents and I did not heed this advice and it's been a downhill struggle since.

edit - and this:
    Quote Originally Posted by G View Post
    Do not ever try to teach her yourself. Don't even give her pointers, she won't listen, and she'll get frustrated.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

When I taught full time ski school at Jay Peak my wife (learning after we got together) was allowed to drop into group lessons whenever she wanted. That ended up being a lot, so she skied with most of our adult ski school staff *I did the high end teen program*

From her feedback the group could sometimes slow things down, but the instructor made ALL the difference between good and bad lessons.

IMO doesn't matter where you go, but as said do your research on who to ski with.

A private or two from the right person will be pricey, but if she's able to retain info from the coaching and work on stuff on her own (or with your help if the relationship will allow it) its totally worth it IMO.

And yes. Please tip well!

I learned parallel turns on my own but got some Dad help when 8 or so. Maybe more intuitive to me but persisted through the falls, sitting back too far, weird snow, Sears and Roebuck wooden boards and finally had success. I suspect (but could be wrong?) I invented the smear turn in "64" as those first boards didn't have any edges, just rounded off wood bases. From my days instructing: Learning isn't hard if, as a client, you're comfortable and taken through a logical progression to develop skills. Linking these skills can be challenging but a good teacher has patience and ability to spot anything amiss. The feedback process is clear and if needed, demonstrated / repeated until a student gets it. They empathize well and consider your physical comfort. You won't face into weather, instructors job. If it's quite cold, you'll learn how to improve circulation or get a couple handwarmers from them. In short, you're being introduced to a mountain climate and instructors help prepare new students for it. You should always be comfortable with a teacher and if they're any good at all, 6 to 8 1 1/2 hour lessons and PRACTICE is reasonable to expect consistent parallel turns and good control. That's for group lessons and if you go privates or small groups, that timeframe will be shorter. Seek out a well regarded instructor....worth it. The rest is mileage. Skiing with good skiers won't hurt either!

So, don't teach her myself - check that never was the plan.
    Next time start my post with a naked picture - OK, check and noted.
    A few good nuggets in there, thanks for those.
    Tip well - OK got it!
    What could go wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by niknoid View Post
    What could go wrong!
    You could fail to provide photographic evidence and be cursed by Ullr for the rest of your miserable mortal life.
    That's all.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

^goodness. THAT is really something.

.Name:  unnamed.jpeg
Views: 579
Size:  36.1 KB

I have girls ages 3 and 6. Just tonight I was looking at lessons at Copper, Eldora, WP and Abasin. For their ages they ski pretty well and were taught by me. We have decided hell no to $500 for three or four sessions for the 6 year old. My little one is still too little unless we did private lessons and those are even more.

Have the cost of lessons gone up even fast than the price of a ticket at the window?

A small family hill with cheaper lessons is a good place to learn. Some instructors are better than others--unless you have good connections figuring out which is which is trial and error. IME teachers who are similar in age and gender often work out best.

And no one who raced as a kid should be giving advice here--learning as an adult is a completely different matter.

Don't try to teach her on your own. Midweek group lessons are going to be the best, if you can go midweek

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    .Name:  unnamed.jpeg
Views: 579
Size:  36.1 KB
    I wanted to post this exact meme, but couldn't manage on the mobile site. Thank you!

This is the best ski lesson value, hands down. The beginner week is a little more intense.

https://tsv-taosnm.secure-cdn.na2.ac...744dc6a37ad0ae