Page 49 of 126 FirstFirst ... 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 3140
    Quote Originally Posted by Robojerry View Post
    I do believe that the proprietary and liability thing is what’s stopping any official channels from being opened up. I.e the patrol avalanche forecasters making an effort to maintain channels and share data with SAC forecasters. I’d think efforts to do this would be stopped in their tracks.
    While you're more informed than I the proprietary thing I don't believe (not calling you a liar just couldn't think of another word). Mammoth is the same company (proprietor) and they do maintain open contacts with ESAC.
    Last edited by powdork; 12-28-2021 at 07:09 PM.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Tram face… may have been hit today… I don’t have photos to prove it. But if someone in the valley wants to shoot the tracks that would be cool.
    I saw no tracks on Tram Face at 1 today as I was gazing up while waiting for the lift formerly known as Super Squaw to open.

And I was definitely wearing a beacon today. Sure not doing me any good if left in the car.

The skiing today was above average!
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Is there still limited overnight parking next to the OVL? I know it used to be allowed but I’m seeing otherwise on PTOV’s website.

Holy crap, traffic is fucked. It's a parking lot from Incline to Echo. Kingsbury is also stopped. We went over 431 to get home to Carson.

Yes, it's crazy deep but light and fun. Zero instabilities noted, including directly on top of a ridge when dropping cornices.

Tomorrow should be even better.Name:  16407366720140.jpeg
Views: 757
Size:  75.9 KB
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Leave the Tesla home. No juice. Or milk either for that matter.

Name:  DAE8D290-E163-4F29-9A01-E17A246069F9.png
Views: 749
Size:  138.3 KB

22 Blue - Looking ahead to the New (aka Fuck Summer (aka Tahoe Thread))

Quote Originally Posted by Powcruzer View Post
    Leave the Tesla home. No juice. Or milk either for that matter.

Name:  DAE8D290-E163-4F29-9A01-E17A246069F9.png
Views: 749
Size:  138.3 KB
    Well, Kings Beach ran out of gas so maybe having the electric would have been to your advantage. But nobuddy should be rushing to get home anyway. Much easier tomorrow.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

A Tesla idling uses no to extremely little battery. An ICE is burning gas the whole time. Having to heat changes the equation but electric still comes out ahead.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/fact...-idUSL1N2RW0QD

A typical stationary electric vehicle (EV) with full battery could likely run its climate settings and electronics for “at least a day, probably many days”, Howey added.

I just got alerts on both of my phones
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CDF6386C-EF1A-4850-8B1F-46125716F08C.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	680.4 KB 
ID:	398613
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    I just got alerts on both of my phones

Name:	CDF6386C-EF1A-4850-8B1F-46125716F08C.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	680.4 KB 
ID:	398613
    I just got the same. A quick google search brought up this.

Name:	329DC6A2-25F4-4B02-9A50-9CD017F686E1.png 
Views:	156 
Size:	980.0 KB 
ID:	398616
    Wow!

Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Ok because 80 has been closed for so long. People are trying to get west any way they can

And the trucks trying to go east keep jackknifing and closing the lesser mountain roads

I don’t really remember 80 being closed this much. I question it. It seems to be a shift in tolerance rather than extraordinary conditions
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

When I’ve talked with SAC forecasters they always seemed pretty aware of what’s going on at the resorts. I don’t known if that’s through official channels or backchannel though. Also keep in mind that conditions can be pretty different between resort and BC even with similar terrain (due to snowpack differences from mitigation, compaction, etc.).

Enjoyed the country club experience at SB today. I-80 back open in both directions now though, prepare for the hordes tomorrow.

Oh the irony

Name:	Screenshot_2021-12-28-21-34-09-197_com.android.chrome.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	439.8 KB 
ID:	398623
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

^^^ now THAT'S how you use a roundabout! 360 degrees of efficiency

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    I don’t really remember 80 being closed this much. I question it. It seems to be a shift in tolerance rather than extraordinary conditions
    Keep it closed. I don't question it after 10' of snow. Single lanes most everywhere in town including spots on 80. I hope their tolerance is low. Mini vans all over 80 right now seems like a recipe.

Get trapped in or out just make your choice.
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

^^ I think they were dealing with a ton of downed trees on 80.

Dang I wanna ski but I'm sitting this one out until it loosens up. Call me when they open the Spur.

https://www.2news.com/townnews/highw...fb0c5a705.html

Everybody is looking for a shortcut home. Just read about these folks that thankfully, didn't end in a case of
    "Death By GPS." They tried to bypass the I-80 West closure in Verdi and took Jacks Valley Rd until they got stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Is it late in Europe cause you seem drunk. Judging the entire North American avalanche system based on one forecast you saw in bum fucking egypt. There are numerous avalanche centers throughout the US and Canada. But thats just because we have WAY more mountains than Europe
    I'm always drunk. I just said that the details start to fall into place because access to information is the key to good avie forecasting. So if the avie forecasters have problems getting it, it makes sense that the forecast is not quite accurate.

And I don't know whether you've noticed, but the European alps, pyrenees, tatras have a country and a region or two as well....
    The slf is simply the gold standard. I wasn't trying to look down on the glorious us of a, I was kinda shocked really. But as I noticed in the fwt thread you get a bit defensive easily.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

I’m thinking you guys don’t need to argue

that would be better
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    And I don't know whether you've noticed, but the European alps, pyrenees, tatras have a country and a region or two as well....
    The slf is simply the gold standard. I wasn't trying to look down on the glorious us of a, I was kinda shocked really. But as I noticed in the fwt thread you get a bit defensive easily.
    We have excellent access to information. The avalanche centers do use the resources of ski area patrols to the best of their ability. That ability is limited by time constraints and the fact that ski patrol only have access to information on areas that have been controlled all season, making their info of much less value.
    And I'm sorry but if you just take the time to look at a map you'll see North America has at least 2-3x the mountains of Europe.
    Here is British Columbia and Alaska

Name:	alaska.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	608.6 KB 
ID:	398632

and at the same zoom level, all of Europe' mountains except the nordic region

Name:	europe.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	731.0 KB 
ID:	398633

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    I'm always drunk. I just said that the details start to fall into place because access to information is the key to good avie forecasting. So if the avie forecasters have problems getting it, it makes sense that the forecast is not quite accurate.

I'm only bringing this up because I found it earlier for another thread, the lower 48 has about 43 people per square km, Switzerland has 220. And Alaska has 0.48 people/square km. It's far from the whole story in this case too, but it matters and I think it's useful for considering some of the differences in how many data points are collected for forecasting.

Sorry folks, we’re closed…….the moose out front should have told ya

^ha. Just saw a post saying if you left Placerville now you would get to Disneyland 20 minutes quicker than you would get to Tahoe.

22 Blue - Looking ahead to the New (aka Fuck Summer (aka Tahoe Thread))

powdork

I love you man

but recently you have been coming off as an asshole and a know it all

sorry to say that

you’re not wrong
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    https://www.2news.com/townnews/highw...fb0c5a705.html

Everybody is looking for a shortcut home. Just read about these folks that thankfully, didn't end in a case of
    "Death By GPS." They tried to bypass the I-80 West closure in Verdi and took Jacks Valley Rd until they got stuck.
    Google Maps has been doing this for years. I witnessed an elephant train of cars crawling up a side-cut bypassing part of Northwoods in Tahoe Donner, with everyone trying to get to a dirt road off of Skislope that (according to Google) connects with the Donner Lake interchange, thus bypassing the 80-west closure (which Google falsely assumed was only in effect for the 3 miles between Truckee and Donner Lake); oh, and also, the dirt road it was sending people to isn't even driveable in the summertime; needless to say, during that blizzard their route would have been very tough trailbreaking, and certainly not in a vehicle.

I use Google Maps to plan bike treks, and it frequently tries to shave miles by sending me onto routes that (as sat-view confirms) are at best ancestral dirt roads. Even in the Bay Area, where lots of Goog employees live, their maps will try to send cyclists out onto "roads" that are literally fenced off from public access.

This is nothing new; driver beware.