Page 124 of 126 FirstFirst ... 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 LastLast
Results 3,076 to 3,100 of 3140
    Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Enough talk of the future and its potential problems, time to return to the glory that is now.
    Shirley y'all must be experiencing a spectacular Fall up there, as it's the best one we've had in the Valley in many years: good air quality, perfect temps, etc. That early rain really set the tone. Haven't enjoyed Fall this much in it seems like forever.
    Amen to that!
    (And I was just about to say that this thread needs a reboot…)
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Speaking of the near future, anyone going to see Steel Beans at the Matador in Reno Oct 9? Dude rocks.

We were having a heat wave and a fire, then it rained and we have only had mild days with little wind ever since. Like somebody flipped a switch to fall. Absolutely perfect for hiking in the basin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Drool....

That's criminally beautiful.

Anyone recognize these double chairs? I’m told they came from homewood 20+ years ago. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9664.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	945.0 KB 
ID:	428616
    live the life.

Riblet

I’ve got a buddy doing chair restoration with old Riblets if anyone is interested

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1664885922.270555.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	428623

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1664885936.779419.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	746.6 KB 
ID:	428624
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Lot of liability without a safety bar. Be careful.

The Michelle Parker movie is now coming to the Art Haus with two other "chick flicks" centered on female athletes. The lineup:

Parker's Nexus

Backstrom's The Approach 2

and Coline Ballet-Baz's Recipe

Two showings on Oct 17th. 5/8
    Looks pretty awesome!
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Additionally, on the cinematic tip, BURIED: THE 1982 ALPINE MEADOWS AVALANCHE is playing at the Galaxy Victorian in Sparks and the Galaxy Fandango in Carson City.

https://www.galaxytheatres.com/movie...DOWS-AVALANCHE

I definitely want a Homewood chair!

PM Sent.

The Rise, Fall and Rise of Tahoe’s Salmon

Don't know WTF is up with their font/color choices. I used browser reader view.

Squalpine update

———-

Yesterday we spliced the cable for the Palisades side of the new Base to Base Gondola! With the season closing in fast, our teams are hard at work finishing up several projects around the resort. Here's what's going on lately:

Alpine Base
    At the Alpine Base, concrete will be poured to form the terminal pit on Oct. 7. Welding on all of the steel beams and roof elements in the maintenance building continues, as well as efforts to complete water and sewer line connections. Efforts to winterize the site will begin Oct. 7 and are expected to be completed by Oct. 15.

Alpine Mid
    Significant progress has been made at the Alpine mid-station, with the concrete structure that surrounds the mid-station terminal now to the required height on the East, North and South walls. The final concrete pour will happen on Oct. 7 to complete the final exterior wall.

KT Mid
    At KT-mid, Leitner Poma has a contractor working on the framework of the platforms that people will use to load and unload the gondola. The haul rope from the Palisades Base to KT-mid was pulled and sliced this week.

Palisades Base
    Work at the Palisades Base continued with pouring concrete ramps on Sept. 29 and Sept. 30. The last concrete pours are scheduled for Oct. 6 and Oct. 7, and work on the northern part of the plaza is underway to get it graded for final paver work and landscaping.

Red Dog
    Concrete for the RFID access gates was poured last week, and the transformer was set on Oct. 1. At the top of the lift, work to finish grading the hillside was completed, and concrete forms for the top terminal and crown towers just below it are being placed, with the concrete pour scheduled to occur by helicopter on Oct. 11. The plan is to fly from the top of Exhibition to the top of Red Dog and the crown tower, and to complete that work in one day.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

It's like getting medical updates about your terminal friend.

BURIED: The 1982 Alpine Meadows Avalanche
    is also coming to:

Village Cinema @ Northstar starting 10/7

Heavenly Village Cinemas starting 10/14

Also playing down the hill in Grass Valley, Sac, and the Bay Area, as well as elsewhere in the U.S.

All screenings listed here:
    https://www.buriedfilm.com/screenings

Had a couple procedures done today. First I had my fingertips removed bouldering with daughter #2. Then went to see Buried at the Tahoe Arthaus with #1 and #2 to have my tear ducts purged.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Thots and pears

Now go stop at Chevron and have your prostate probed.

This second summer the last few weeks has been pleasant, but the forecast for next week looks more interesting.

Anyone with kids in Truckee schools?
    https://portal.laserfiche.com/k4088/...meoursnowplows
    If I were eligible I would name then Better, Late, Than, and Never.

Plowie McBermface

Is it OK to wear a Sq. . .W Valley Ski Patrol T shirt.

Theres a difference between "psst it's still squaw" stickers and an old t shirt that's not done yet. Just don't be a dick -no one really was before- and it's all gravy

Sent from my BE2015 using Tapatalk

Who can really decide if it's ok? You understand the name is a slur that commemorates murder and theft of land, among other things. What do you expect will be the reaction? Is that something you want to deal with? It can be a good way to start conversations and share knowledge. Maybe you can actually make it literally say
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Sq. . .W
    There's a long history of remixing these logos around here. What feels good to you?

I wore it to the cineplex to watch Buried, since I didn't have any of my 4 or 5 Alpine patrol shirts handy. No one noticed, probably since I was the only one in the theater. Probably will ditch it--besides the slur, I've gotten too fat. OTOH I may have to unretire my Trump University--One Person Can Ruin the World shirt.

Names are a funny thing. Johnson Canyon for example. When I was a kid the old name was considered non-pejorative in formal conversation by Black and White people both, although it certainly sounded ugly coming off the lips of certain Southern politicians. As a result the word is at best uncomfortable. OTOH Johnson was a Black man who owned a lodge in the canyon in the late 19th century. Most people don't think of Black people being in the Sierra at that time--some people don't think of them being here now*--so in a way by changing the name a little piece of history is lost. Still, the old name is anonymous so it's best that it was changed. Maybe there should be an historical plaque there. Probably can't wait for E Clampus Vitus to do it.

*Nevada County is the whitest in the state at 92%. Black people make up 1/2% of the population.