Page 36 of 126 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Friend up in Alpine Meadows says no power at house. Ops says partial power.
    Almost headed up today but decided not to at the last minute. Guess it was the right call......just checked and per Palisades Tahoe Mtn Ops they closed down again about 10 minutes ago due to power issues. Hoping everything is back up and running by Friday.

I broke mine with surgery @ the beginning of March 2020, and skinned and skied by mid June. Wasn't the most comfortable but better than running or skating or even normal walking. The boot is like a cast!

After a delayed opening (Linemen working a 24+hr shift), Rubicon this AM was $$$!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3550.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	396828Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3561.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	396829Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3564.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	396830Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3568.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	396831Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3573.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	396832

PS. Homewood looked great driving by later in the day.
    Last edited by Mokomahonah; 12-15-2021 at 02:55 PM.

Wow, you scored!!!

Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Does anyone have any recommendations for outfits offering a ski mountaineering course in the Sierra? Saw IAG runs one out of Mammoth but have no idea what their reputation is like.

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Kirkwood has enough snow to open whole mountain. Rock garden was virtually rock free. This is right above 5:

Name:	IMG_0640.JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	436.4 KB 
ID:	396873

‘Twas a fine day at the wood.

Nice pictures. The wind just hit here. Must be nasty good up in the mountains
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Gonna head to the wood tomorrow and hope things open.

Did Sentinel ever open up there today? Pali? Wagon Wheel? The moar that opened, the bette chance it will open tomorrow. This is my only kid free day until 2022. Gonna try to make it count.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post

Did Sentinel ever open up there today? Pali? Wagon Wheel? The moar that opened, the bette chance it will open tomorrow. This is my only kid free day until 2022. Gonna try to make it count.
    11 didn't spin at all. 10 spun slowly early morning then nothing. No high traverse open. It appeared to me that patrol was doing training as there was a large group working together. I wouldn't be too optimistic for much more tomorrow. No bombing was heard after the morning rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    Does anyone have any recommendations for outfits offering a ski mountaineering course in the Sierra? Saw IAG runs one out of Mammoth but have no idea what their reputation is like.

Thanks!

So they do some organized outings at specific times, but I bet If you reached out to Alpenglow (in O-valley) that Adrian and co might accommodate you with something along those lines. Obviously he knows his shit so you’d be in good hands.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

No High T, meaning no uphill out into Sentinel? But the low T was allowed? That would be plenty. As well as a traverse past the Fingers into WW. Plenty plenty. But if it is just right off the top, that is a bit more limiting. Regardless I expect a late start for 6. But at least they are not the ones without power this time.

I wouldn't expect 10 before Saturday. 11 on Friday maybe. But why not hold off on 10 until then? It will take the plenty of time to dig it outing prep. Then prep for the next storm and open the backside for the holiday week.

I didn't check whether the low traverse to Sentinel was open. 7 opened so I assume yes. No low traverse past the fingers to ww.

Thanks!

Echoing what Jay said. Alpenglow Expeditions in Olympic valley has what you’re looking for.

The shop is AMGA accredited and anyone involved in instructing will have the relevant AMGA training.

https://alpenglowexpeditions.com/exp...ountaineering/

Give the shop a call. They’d be happy to work with you to get you into something specific to ski mountaineering.

(Full disclosure, I work for them, but I promise they’re all good people and that you won’t be disappointed)

Wobby…….you will want to get a touring boot with a Lamborghini tongue……basically a non overlap boot but rather one where the tongue splays out to the side. The older model scarpa maestrale had it but they got rid of it on their new model so I had to go with another brand model. I went with the dynafit radical pro which has a semblance of that sort out tongue interface. That specific feature is the most important thing for me when choosing boots and the radical pro checks all my boxes with a supremely fucked up ankle that will never get better

Dang I can’t post pics anymore on the app from my new phone ……. It used to be easy but now I don’t see how to link my photos ……. Buzzzzzer

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post

Rope line was Lost Cabin to Olympic.

^^^Thanks. Guess I can hope they open up to Rabbits at most.

Ugh, Alpine isn’t scheduled to open at all tomorrow, and Oly Valley is only running the 3 left-side base lifts. That’s not enough capacity for the mob that’s going to be wanting powder runs tomorrow. I might have to go to Homewood; they’re going to be running Madden chair (north parking).

Are Sierra mountain guides out of Bishop still around?

22 Blue - Looking ahead to the New (aka Fuck Summer (aka Tahoe Thread))

Sorry about the injury, Wobby. Ankle breaks vary quite a bit, so it’s hard to say what’s going to work for you after the doc gives you the okay. I broke my fib just above the ankle 2.5 years ago, and had to keep weight off it, knee-scooter etc, for more than 3 months; after that, doc looked at the X-rays and said “looks good, you can go do whatever feels okay on it”. After the first week (which was limping and then walking), I started doing a ton of cycling. Ski season was a few months later, and that was all good… except that I had more trouble getting a downhill ski boot on with the affected foot (due to lingering swelling). Also skate-skiing would start to feel bad after 10 kliks or so. Being able to do running took much longer, not so much because of the ankle, but feet and knees had gone lazy and needed training time before I could beat on them very regularly.

So then, heal up. Skiing and skinning should be fine, once doc says go do it, and then once you get the relevant muscles back in tune after the months of wasting away, anyway.

Thanks!
    You could try Blackbird Guides. They offer mountaineering courses at least in Washington. Not sure of that's an option here or just guided skiing.

Power was out again so I've been taking the circular saw to some logs I had buried in the snow for heat. Same ryobi system is also providing light

Name:	4A9BF7CF-0999-477D-B7CC-03B600D05C1D.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	254.6 KB 
ID:	396944

Name:	974663E1-02AE-4F8D-9A47-203EE462E7E9.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	220.4 KB 
ID:	396945

Name:	882BEAB4-9418-44CE-AD83-5FB904657ED3.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	172.3 KB 
ID:	396946
    Last edited by powdork; 12-16-2021 at 01:58 AM.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Lots of snow in Meyers/N upper Truckee. Power went out at 6AM. ⚡️

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Power has been out at my place in TD (near Alder Creek) for three days now. So many fallen trees.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Enjoying an apple and listening to the news while sitting on AM road, listening to bombs.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage