Page 4 of 126 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    full on dumping in stateline right now and about 2" on the ground
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

First chain control and then... first 80 closure of the season.

Like clockwork.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post

Like clockwork.
    more bs closures??!!
    They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say let em crash

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post

Like clockwork.
    I thought it closed last week for a spinout then.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

22 Blue - Looking ahead to the New (aka Fuck Summer (aka Tahoe Thread))

Keep it closed. Life's so much better when the main artery is closed. Unless you live in donner then it's impossible to get home.
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I thought it closed last week for a spinout then.
    You're right. I actually saw the photo of the semi, actually, now that I think of it. Was trying to remember last night. Single incident closure though. Those happen a relative random year-round.

Last night there were like ten at once from Nyack to DLI.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Maybe that's our cue for a new season's Tahoe thread'. I80 closed in both directions.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Sorry, but it's open with chains. 5 in on my deck.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Maybe that's our cue for a new season's Tahoe thread'. I80 closed in both directions.
    This is​ the new season thread?
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Fun fact: I have yet to put chains on any vehicle during my lifetime in California...

I hope sometime down the road upper management realizes the shortsightedness of dumping money into this project instead of workforce housing. While i have no ski area management expertise, i'm willing to armchair speculate that the costs of having to bump up wages to hire staff and bad customer experiences from being chronically understaffed over the next handful of years won't be cheap. Definitely not expensive as a gondola but certainly not cheap either.

Quote Originally Posted by gone2alpine View Post
    Looking at this photo from Schralpine Ghettos yesterday, it makes you wonder how the hell they're gonna get things put together before the season begins. No way the ganjola finishes anytime soon...but just getting the base area functional and safe for public access is going to be a challenge.

And don't get me started on those fucking towers marching across the parking lot and in front of America's ski lodge. Fuck you Andy Wirthless, you fucking fuckwad.

Attachment 389115

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    I hope sometime down the road upper management realizes the shortsightedness of dumping money into this project instead of workforce housing. While i have no ski area management expertise, i'm willing to armchair speculate that the costs of having to bump up wages to hire staff and bad customer experiences from being chronically understaffed over the next handful of years won't be cheap. Definitely not expensive as a gondola but certainly not cheap either.
    get out of here with that sensible and forward thinking employee focused management style

22 Blue - Looking ahead to the New (aka Fuck Summer (aka Tahoe Thread))

That's not how you make short term profits when you're a private equity venture trying to jack up the value of your assets in anticipation of a sale before any of those investments pay dividends. You can definitely point to the gondola as a way to entice more investment while the pandemic has shown corporations how much money they can make by piling extra work on the employees they still have.
    Last edited by lepistoir; 10-18-2021 at 03:29 PM.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

That retaining wall in front of the breezeway makes me think of Patrol holding the belligerent hoards back on an AC day...

That was exactly my thoughts when I saw the first photos...now the name Palisades Tahoe makes so much more sense.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

wowzers
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

wowzers and there seems like a lot of snow in them there trees

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

specially as compared to these there trees
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GPTempDownload.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	389508

Name:	IMG_1303.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	200.7 KB 
ID:	389509

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Beautiful pic Lepistoir!
    "22 Blue" - I like it. Thx for starting it off Powdork. Great early season stoke pics too.

Good close up vid of Sierra damage if you haven't seen (from 3 days ago):

Wondering what it will be like there ~1-3 years from now when most of the trees die and are removed. Not just tree/terrain changes, but crowds, experience. Totally different resort for sure...

Finally bought my first season passes for the fam last spring so my kids could get good-er. Yep Sierra. Short drive, easy terrain, cheap... oh well. Waiting to see what the final plans are, but if they have Grandview, Rock Garden, Easy rider open like someone here said, that might be fine for my kids who are still green/blue. They didn't seem to give any deadline for us to decide, so may as well wait for now...

Cool vid from The Lookout on tree mortality: "If the crown of the tree is > 50% burned, tree most likely dies in a couple years". So sounds like even trees with a fair amount of green left on them will die. SAT is f*cked, but hoping other places along 50/T**mmer, etc will keep some trees. S side of Ralston is pretty bare down low vs. before the fire.

pics along 50:

Name:	20211016_124849 (2).jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	389632

Name:	20211016_125516 (2).jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	389633

Name:	20211017_125433 (2).jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	389634

That's a bummer - I haven't skied there all that much but the tree skiing was the best part other than Huckleberry Canyon. Although it could end up with some really nicely spaced glades... maybe.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Thanks for posting that S@T video mr hankey, such a bummer.

Bar talk with an employee a couple days ago (so take it with a grain of salt), it’s sounding like grandview will not be running this year, needs a new uphaul cable.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. hankey View Post
    Beautiful pic Lepistoir!
    "22 Blue" - I like it. Thx for starting it off Powdork. Great early season stoke pics too.

Good close up vid of Sierra damage if you haven't seen (from 3 days ago):

Wondering what it will be like there ~1-3 years from now when most of the trees die and are removed. Not just tree/terrain changes, but crowds, experience. Totally different resort for sure...
    And a name change. Whitethorn at Tahoe

Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    Exactly. Unfortunately corporate America is used to having it be a company ‘s market for labor for well over a decade. As the labor force market quickly shifts to be a workers market those companies that are slow to adapt will pay the price.

Although the ski industry will not be spared from this trend, I don’t think the ski industry will be the hardest hit. Working at ski resorts does have benefits compared to say being a truck driver which in addition to being hard work is a job that will disappear in the next 10 or 20 years.