Page 100 of 126 FirstFirst ... 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,500 of 3140
    DSR was Old School action today.
    Muddy parking lot, no lift lines, two chairs and a carpet running, friendly (and smiling) staff.
    Snow was like marshmallow fluff.
    Made me miss those last minute Minis we threw together in the past.
    Kudos to them for rallying and re-opening.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

DSR was one of the places my kids started skiing. Fond memories of sitting on the deck next to the owner and another staff member who were keeping an eye on a bait snowboard they placed on the rack, hoping to catch a thief.

heh

love DSR
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Tahoe bc was awesome in the morning on Saturday. And the afternoon at Palisades was so much fun with the bonus Paul Oakenfold concert after skiing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6186.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	414316

Name:	IMG_6170.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	414317

Name:	IMG_6213.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	414318

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

22 Blue - Looking ahead to the New (aka Fuck Summer (aka Tahoe Thread))

Highway 28 North Lake Blvd. closed between Tahoe Vista and Kings Beach.

Power lines down due to accident.

Will take hours to correct.

Per placer co sheriff

Just a little further east and there would have been an alternate route.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CcyvHdNP...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Get well soon, asshole.
    Last edited by lepistoir; 04-25-2022 at 07:28 PM.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

^^ on local tv news, they made sure to mention that it was a subaru that hit the pole...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

A question--someone pointed out that they couldn't reopen KT in part because the cat road is gone? But isn't the cat road how they get patrol up to control west face etc, and don't they have to control it to protect the mountain run?

I could have been wrong. But I remember reading that the road at the top was melted out.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Can’t believe we are still taking about KT. We should be bitching about how weekday operations are going to end, and why mammoth does just about everything oops wise better.

4 Time Balboa Open Champion

Pretty good sized wet slide from top of west face crossed upper road around 3:30 today

More like alternatives. I don’t know how to post pics.

From a friends Instagram

Sent from my BE2015 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    A question--someone pointed out that they couldn't reopen KT in part because the cat road is gone? But isn't the cat road how they get patrol up to control west face etc, and don't they have to control it to protect the mountain run?
    For patrol purposes they can still ride the lift… or hike the RT to get over there.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Joe View Post
    Can’t believe we are still taking about KT. We should be bitching about how weekday operations are going to end, and why mammoth does just about everything oops wise better.

Mammoth cares. They still want to attract more customers. With Palisades so over run with people, they don't care about getting new customers. Most days, Mammoth is a ghost town in comparison. So they run it well, so people return and tell their friends. That is my assessment. That, and maybe having more consistent leadership over the years. From McCoy to Alterra. And Alterra does not seem to have changed much.

I missed the pow, but will be spring skiing this coming weekend. Friday afternoon at KW, Saturday at Mammoth and back to KW for closing day on Sunday. Anyone around and want to make turns? I'll be wearing all blue. Likely on black Wren 98 in the morning and either older Wrens or Wildcats for the afternoons.

I wonder if part of the reason Mammoth does things better is that they are more attached to the town of mammoth so the infrastructure runs much better (i.e. - transit, parking, fewer electrical outages). Palisades doesn't really have a town (or at least not just one). I'd bet if Minaret road was causing the same problems thru Mammoth that Palisades and Hwy 89 cause to Tahoe City and Truckee, the town and resort of Mammoth would be able to come up with a train or monorail to fix it (or would at least come up with a solution and implement it)
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Joe View Post
    Can’t believe we are still taking about KT...
    When KW is open!
    Yes Ott, we will be bouncing around der'Wood for the next few days.
    Altho more ghost town than normal, with 7800 closed.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Does anyone know how is the access and snow conditions on round top, crescent couloir, or halls of God?

Thank you

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

access and coverage for round top is awesome. I'm guessing the snow is transitioning so very difficult to guess current conditions. Not sure about Halls. You definitely have a mile of walking each way if you're leaving from wintoon area. Fallen Leaf Lake road I believe is open to the firehouse, which would also leave a significant walk. I assume it has good coverage out onto the apron since it's the same aspect and elevation as gunbarrel and much closer to the crest.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    I wonder if part of the reason Mammoth does things better is that they are more attached to the town of mammoth so the infrastructure runs much better (i.e. - transit, parking, fewer electrical outages). Palisades doesn't really have a town (or at least not just one). I'd bet if Minaret road was causing the same problems thru Mammoth that Palisades and Hwy 89 cause to Tahoe City and Truckee, the town and resort of Mammoth would be able to come up with a train or monorail to fix it (or would at least come up with a solution and implement it)
    They tried that once. The People Mover. It sucked and crashed more than once.

And... you should have been here last week when the line of cars going up the hill were back up to Norco 76 station. I am sure it was epic.

Yeah but that just means it takes people that are going skiing longer to get there. They are the reason they are waiting. When it happens on 89 it turns an 8+ mile stretch of highway (that everyone else needs to use) into a parking lot for most of the morning.

The mammoth people mover was weird and novel. I never understood it’s purpose. Do they still have that overhead tram from the Village to warming hut 2 (canyon lodge)?

Does mammoth still have free bus service? I’ve ridden a lot of packed town buses in mammoth during the ski season.

Yeah but that just means it takes people that are going skiing longer to get there. They are the reason they are waiting. When it happens on 89 it turns an 8+ mile stretch of highway (that everyone else needs to use) into a parking lot for most of the morning.
    That's my biggest problem with Tahoe. Getting in an out sucks, especially if it's snowing, or, god forbid, it's raining. This season, October, half of our hockey team was stick on the 50 due to mud slides. I took the 88 knowing that the 50 would be buried under mudslide from the fire. The 88 is a shit show when there is a the slightest bit of snow on the road. Saturdays was a bit of a scene too with everyone going to Kirkwood. Fortunately I am always going the opposite direction as the tourists but it is still a mess compared to Mammoth. All of that said, I would much rather drive to the bay are from Mammoth than drive to LA from Mammoth. Nicer drive that is broken up in sections. South of Lone Pine is awful.

Traffic was so bad here because Canyon and Eagle had closed. They opened up 17 for parking as the lot at 2 was full at 730am. Doesn't effect me at all. I haven't been up there in years. Hockey in Tahoe took up way too much of my time. Almost bought a pass this year. Went up to Main and got in line to ask a few questions. So many knobs in front of and behind me yapping. I will see if I remotely miss it this season. To be honest, I rather enjoy hunting for lakes to skate and have a snowmobile.

I stayed on the mountain at Mammoth last weekend and my son was doing a Super G training session on Saturday so I drove down to fly fish the Upper Owens. I've never seen a line of cars so long driving up the mountain at 8:45am. It was super slow bumper to bumper and backed up all the way to downtown. Is that worse that Tahoe? I don't know, I don't ski Mammoth enough to really know. Others here probably know more than me.

Quote Originally Posted by janky View Post
    I stayed on the mountain at Mammoth last weekend and my son was doing a Super G training session on Saturday so I drove down to fly fish the Upper Owens. I've never seen a line of cars so long driving up the mountain at 8:45am. It was super slow bumper to bumper and backed up all the way to downtown. Is that worse that Tahoe? I don't know, I don't ski Mammoth enough to really know. Others here probably know more than me.
    Mammoth guy here. Saturday was the worst traffic day of the season. Combine blue sky, fresh snow, Canyon and Eagle lodges closed and it was bad. On a normal day I'm betting 60%ish of the people access the mountain via Canyon or Eagle so when they are closed things can get a bit crazy for Main and the road up to Main. Sunday was no big deal for comparison. I give them credit for opening ch17 from Canyon to try and help and the backside because they weren't slated to open, that was a pretty solid last minute audible because of the cluster on the road.

The spring skiing at Mammoth is just better than Palisades as well. Combine an extra 2k feet in elevation and a significant slug of north facing terrain and the snow stays better for longer in the spring. The US Ski Team is training there this week. Thought they did a pretty dang good job with the Super G races. Helps with the head of the Race Dept. was the head US Ski Team women's speed coach. He has definitely upped their game.

Mammoth has also had a 50+year tradition of staying open as long as Broadway is skiable, and sometimes longer. The current CEO and COO of Alterra were in the same roles at Mammoth for a long time so it makes sense things haven't changed too much. Hard to compare Tahoe to Mammoth. Mammoth is the 10000ib gorilla in the E. Sierra. What the Mtn. wants it usually gets. The traffic getting down the mtn in the afternoons is usually way worse than the mornings because of the village and the stoplight there. There are options though again with Eagle and Canyon. yes, there is still a gondi from the Village to Canyon (Hut II for old farts) and yes the bus in town is still free and can definitely be packd.

Mammoth is far from perfect, but I complain less and less about it each year.
    He who has the most fun wins!

access and coverage for round top is awesome. I'm guessing the snow is transitioning so very difficult to guess current conditions. Not sure about Halls. You definitely have a mile of walking each way if you're leaving from wintoon area. Fallen Leaf Lake road I believe is open to the firehouse, which would also leave a significant walk. I assume it has good coverage out onto the apron since it's the same aspect and elevation as gunbarrel and much closer to the crest.
    Thanks.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk