Page 1 of 126 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

22 Blue - Looking ahead to the New (aka Fuck Summer (aka Tahoe Thread))

We all know what happened in the past. For a lot of reasons it could be a tough winter, starting with our man down, Sierra at Tahoe. Hoping for the best, but their chances really don't look good for this year. On the bright side, we have a new resort on the north shore and I hear their terrain rivals that of Squapine's.
    Some other things we lost this year (maybe from closures, but just more in terms of burned backcountry) include Ralston, Becker, Talking Mountain, Scout Peak, Echo Shuttle Laps (may be better), Hellhole, plus more and up north possibly Lassen (and more).

But we still have a lot left to look forward to. Mostly no reservations, and things look better this year than last at this point in terms of travel and pandemic regulations. Plus, skiing burn areas is actually pretty darn fun, and treewells aren't even a thing there, so there's that.
    Anyway, let's get this party started.

PAST THREADS....

THE "OFFICIAL" 08/09 TAHOE CONDITIONS/WEATHER TRACKING AND WHAT'S HAPPENING THREAD

09/10 TAHOE WEATHER, CONDITIONS, STOKE, AND WHAT'S UP THREAD

10/11 TAHOE WEATHER, CONDITIONS, STOKE, AND WHAT'S UP THREAD

11/12 TAHOE WEATHER, CONDITIONS, STOKE, AND WHAT'S UP THREAD... IT'S BAAAAAAAACK!!!

12/13 TAHOE WEATHER, CONDITIONS, STOKE, AND WHAT'S UP THREAD...

13/14 TAHOE THREAD -- RADDEST THREAD ON THE INTERNETS!!!

14/?? THE OFFICIAL TAHOE THREAD

LAKE TAHOE 2015/16 - YEAR OF GODZILLA BABY JESUS

MAKE TAHOE DEEP AGAIN ~ 2016/17 OFISHUL SNOW/FOOD/WHINE & STOKE THREAD

TAHOE: LAND OF THE SNOWFLAKES -- 17/18 STOKE

OFFICIAL TAHOE 18/19 STOKE, CONDITIONS, WEATHER THREAD

THE OFFICIAL 19/20 TAHOE SKI SNOWBOARD THREAD. PLUS BONUS BOOTFITTING RECS!

THE OFFICIAL 20/21 TAHOE SKI & SNOWBOARD THREAD. PANDEMIC SCHMANDEMIC!

GOOD TO HAVE IN YOUR PHONE... ski patrol / emergency numbers.

Palisades Tahoes: 530.452.7145

Alpine Meadows: 530.581.8222

Sugar Bowl: 530-426-6727

Kirkwood: 209-258-7911

Heavenly: 530-542-6944

Northstar: 530.582.6594 and for non-emergency patrol: 530.562.3445

Mt. Rose: (775) 849-0704x280
    Last edited by powdork; 10-12-2021 at 10:53 PM.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Current Forest Service Closures
    Scotts Lake Closure - Humboldt Toiyabe - Thru 11/30/2021 unless ended sooner
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scotts-closure.jpg 
Views:	230 
Size:	741.4 KB 
ID:	388855

LTBMU Closure - Thru 12/31/2021 unless ended sooner

Eldorado Forest Closure (thru 3/22/22 unless ended sooner)

LTBMU and Eldorado Closures (as of 10/12/2021)

Name:	eldorado-ltbmu-closure.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	778.6 KB 
ID:	388858

Bootfitting Reccomendations (and options)
    South Shore
    Olympic Bootworks: (530) 600-4056
    Tahoe Sports LTD: (530) 542-4000
    Powderhouse Custom Bootfitting: (530) 541-3649
    Blue Zone: (530) 542-2658

North Shore
    Phil Pugliese - Blue Zone (Truckee): (530) 550-8003. His website, skitalk.com
    Sports Hub - Truckee: (530) 582-4510 - Bob or Doug or Keith if he is still there
    Olympic Bootworks: (530) 581-0747
    Start Haus: (530) 582-5781
    Surefoot: (530) 581-2421
    BestFit Boots: (530) 807-7626

Ski Mounting Reccomendations - Most of the above should work, or try these
    North Shore
    South Shore
    Last edited by powdork; 10-13-2021 at 08:47 AM.

And to get things started, another good day in the lake effect. It was getting a bit sticky on the ski out

Name:	IMG_1223.JPG 
Views:	235 
Size:	402.1 KB 
ID:	388860

Name:	IMG_4381.JPG 
Views:	225 
Size:	390.9 KB 
ID:	388861

Name:	IMG_4383.JPG 
Views:	225 
Size:	390.9 KB 
ID:	388862

For a guy with a bum knee you sure get after it! Way to kick off the new season!

22 Blue - Looking ahead to the New (aka Fuck Summer (aka Tahoe Thread))

I got the privilege to go repair some trail up in the high meadows area with Tamba a couple days ago with special permission from the FS.

I can tell you we have not lost trimmer or at least the slide paths, they look like they always have. Did not get a look at the bonus line which most approach and return though but from the burn maps I’ve seen it was untouched for the most part also. Backside burned of course but it’s never been an area I ski, I’m sure a few ski back there but the Crown Jewels are still intact. Honestly I wouldn’t minded if a bit of the swack burned on the lower bonus, but that doesn’t appear to be the case. The red X’s are a dozer line that might make access a little easier, they did do repair which a lot consists of putting logs and slash back over the open ground. They built a hand line also not shown on the map that could be useful also.

removed it and added in Echo Shuttles, which may also have benefitted.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Bootfitting Reccomendations (and options)
    South Shore
    Olympic Bootworks: (530) 600-4056
    Tahoe Sports LTD: (530) 542-4000
    Powderhouse Custom Bootfitting: (530) 541-3649
    Blue Zone: (530) 542-2658

North Shore
    Phil Pugliese - Blue Zone (Truckee): (530) 550-8003. His website, skitalk.com
    Olympic Bootworks: (530) 581-0747
    Start Haus: (530) 582-5781
    Surefoot: (530) 581-2421
    BestFit Boots: (530) 807-7626
    Any recommendations for specific bootfitters at these stores on the South Shore? My schedule this year unfortunately won’t allow me to use Moment, where Fasa is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    Any recommendations for specific bootfitters at these stores on the South Shore? My schedule this year unfortunately won’t allow me to use Moment, where Fasa is awesome.
    waiting for folks to chime in and I will add them.

Chime in folks

Add jokes about feet here. And maybe a conversation chart.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

Now I’m going to spend all year trying to figure out what hellhole is.

removed it and added in Echo Shuttles, which may also have benefitted.
    Technically the slide paths show as being in the burn zone, but it looks all green to me and looking at the burn intensity map seems it was a very low intensity burn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slide zones won't matter anyway since all the christmas trees are gonna be buried this year so there would be no way to tell if it burned

Quote Originally Posted by jorion View Post
    Now I’m going to spend all year trying to figure out what hellhole is.
    snowmobile zone south of fountainplace (which is on maps west of armstrong pass)

snowmobile zone south of fountainplace (which is on maps west of armstrong pass)
    Also a reservoir where the really determined lost skiers from Alpine and parts of Olympic Valley funnel to when they keep going and going after inadvertently leaving the resort boundaries to the west of the crest…

Fuck yeah Powdork. Loving the early turns.

Folks, I can tell you this year is expected to be a decent season. I have no injuries as of Oct 13th, and that bodes well for the snow. As long as I can stay healthy, it will snow. Almost two decades of data support this thesis.

Then stay safe and healthy so we can all have a great season.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Sounds like we need to wrap Ottime in bubble wrap just to be safe. Don’t screw this up.

I’m wondering if resorts are already facing / projecting major staff shortages? I was shocked to see the Village market in Incline closed recently due to lack of staff. Shit is getting crazy.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Sounds like we need to wrap Ottime in bubble wrap just to be safe. Don’t screw this up.

I’m wondering if resorts are already facing / projecting major staff shortages? I was shocked to see the Village market in Incline closed recently due to lack of staff. Shit is getting crazy.
    It's really sad - seeing it everywhere with a lot of small businesses and restaurants I like closing their doors permanently. I know a few resorts started to raise minimum pay last season, but I think it's too little too late in the service industry as a whole.

Anybody know what closed Rainbow Mountain in Tahoe? I know that was the goto for season long rentals for kids. That building would make some nice apartments tho
    Last edited by powdork; 10-13-2021 at 10:37 AM.

BC resources

BC resources (stolen from pg55):

from davjr96:
    Here's a really good publicly available site https://skitahoebackcountry.net/back...donner-summit/

Snowpack - https://www.sierraavalanchecenter.org/ is the resource.

thefrush sez:
    https://thebackcountry.com/mikes-ski-tours/

meter-man added:
    For a Utahan, coming from Zephyr, I'd recommend Mt. Tallac or the West Shore (Jakes, Bliss/Hidden, Rubicon) for the quintessential mind-blowing lake views and top-shelf skiing. Nails all of your points.

The best website was the archived skitahoebackcountry.com. https://web.archive.org/web/20180705...ckcountry.com/
    Last edited by LongShortLong; 01-07-2022 at 10:37 PM. Reason: useful stuff for pg1
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

Let's go!
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Dork... No idea on RM but those guys run a bunch of shops and I could imagine staffing plays a role in it.
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

Ugh. Got the bad news email from Sierra @ Tahoe. If you hold on, you can ride everything this year and next, and they'll give you $50 back on your already cheap pass. Reading between the lines, I'm guessing they won't be able to open the top this year.

So, ikon or epic? I got a place to stay at squaw, is the traffic on 80 really that bad every weekend? We're normally day tripping weekend warriors from the valley, but the kids are getting older and had nearly outgrown S@T anyway. I don't know if I can go back to Vailcorp's Kirkwood. They broke my heart when they became the last to open and the first to close on the regular.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post
    Ugh. Got the bad news email from Sierra @ Tahoe. If you hold on, you can ride everything this year and next, and they'll give you $50 back on your already cheap pass. Reading between the lines, I'm guessing they won't be able to open the top this year.

So, ikon or epic? I got a place to stay at squaw, is the traffic on 80 really that bad every weekend? We're normally day tripping weekend warriors from the valley, but the kids are getting older and had nearly outgrown S@T anyway. I don't know if I can go back to Vailcorp's Kirkwood. They broke my heart when they became the last to open and the first to close on the regular.
    As soon as I got the email, I pulled the trigger on a Sugarbowl pass. Skied there a bunch when I lived in Reno and always liked the mountain. Will keep the Sierra pass for the fam and play wait and see on what opens. Whole thing is a giant bummer. Feel for the locals and employees that rely on the resort for their living.