Page 110 of 112 FirstFirst ... 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 LastLast
Results 2,726 to 2,750 of 2786
  1. #2726
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    7,554
    Hey, it wouldn't be ID without some bone headed silliness.

    .... assuming it was sometime over the holiday weekend after failing to read article.

  2. #2727
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    20,347
    Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Hey, it wouldn't be Tahoe without some bone headed silliness.

    ....
    FIFY

  3. #2728
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    182
    It's always hard to get a good story out of someone when they just almost died ...
    They got lost going cross country down from the Shirley canyon slabs. They we're egging each other on ( not just 20yo men do that, 75yo women too!). They got into a very sketchy spot, and easily could have died. Essentially they slid out of control halfway down the Sluceway and stoped, held onto a stump, and called for help. The rock there is glacier polished in spots with lots of loose sand and rock fall potential.
    Pic one just as we were locating the lady's just before sunset, 8:30pm.
    Pic two walking down the tram road about 1:30am.

    Sent from my BE2015 using Tapatalk

  4. #2729
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    20,347
    Thanks for the info. Getting into that trouble on the way down I can understand. What's the Sluiceway?

  5. #2730
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Davis, CA
    Posts
    183
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokomahonah View Post
    It's always hard to get a good story out of someone when they just almost died ...
    They got lost going cross country down from the Shirley canyon slabs. They we're egging each other on ( not just 20yo men do that, 75yo women too!). They got into a very sketchy spot, and easily could have died. Essentially they slid out of control halfway down the Sluceway and stoped, held onto a stump, and called for help. The rock there is glacier polished in spots with lots of loose sand and rock fall potential.
    Pic one just as we were locating the lady's just before sunset, 8:30pm.
    Pic two walking down the tram road about 1:30am.

    Sent from my BE2015 using Tapatalk
    TNSAR for the win! Thanks for being out there!

  6. #2731
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    182
    Rob Gaffney posted up an extended forbidden chapter of S*uallywood a few years back with a bunch more lines lookers right of the tram chute. If anyone has it and can post up.

    Sluceway is a 15ish ft wide chimney in the rocks.

    https://snowbrains.com/video-shane-m...gal-tram-face/

    They were on the bench lookers left near the trees just before he really commits into it.

    Sent from my BE2015 using Tapatalk

  7. #2732
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    7,554
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokomahonah View Post
    It's always hard to get a good story out of someone when they just almost died ...
    They got lost going cross country down from the Shirley canyon slabs. They we're egging each other on ( not just 20yo men do that, 75yo women too!). They got into a very sketchy spot, and easily could have died. Essentially they slid out of control halfway down the Sluceway and stoped, held onto a stump, and called for help. The rock there is glacier polished in spots with lots of loose sand and rock fall potential.
    Pic one just as we were locating the lady's just before sunset, 8:30pm.
    Pic two walking down the tram road about 1:30am.

    Sent from my BE2015 using Tapatalk
    Wow! Good on ya for helping out some of my fellow gezers/gezerettes. What OG said about down hill; often much harder/dangerous than the uphill.

  8. #2733
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    20,347
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokomahonah View Post
    Rob Gaffney posted up an extended forbidden chapter of S*uallywood a few years back with a bunch more lines lookers right of the tram chute. If anyone has it and can post up.

    Sluceway is a 15ish ft wide chimney in the rocks.

    https://snowbrains.com/video-shane-m...gal-tram-face/

    They were on the bench lookers left near the trees just before he really commits into it.

    Sent from my BE2015 using Tapatalk
    If I hadn't made some unbelievably dumb routefinding mistakes myself I might have a hard time figuring out how someone could wind up there descending Shirley Canyon. It's funny the tricks your mind can play on you when you're off route but haven't figured it out yet. Confirmation bias. (I live at the world's most famous example of the consequences of getting lost.)

  9. #2734
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    15,582

    22 Blue - Looking ahead to the New (aka Fuck Summer (aka Tahoe Thread))

    did you know that you can get lost coming out from the Peter Grubb Hut in a whiteout and miss Castle Pass and go over another “pass” and then just go for miles in the wrong direction following the wrong drainage and spend an extra night out and get picked up by a CHP helicopter the next day?

    ask me how I know that….

    it’s actually not uncommon - Randall O told me it was actually quite popular



    edited to add:

    just for context - that was 30 years ago

    I was 23 and that was my first solo overnight tour and I brought a bag and bivy and stove and shit to Peter Grubb Hut

    so I was super prepared - but I got lost and I got myself way more lost by just going and going

    when I saw the helicopter I knew it was for me
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 07-05-2022 at 08:41 PM.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

  10. #2735
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Access to Granlibakken
    Posts
    9,994
    Evacuation area for #electrafire keeps growing. Guessing SLT will get some smoke tomorrow.
    Improve your AT boots with the StrapOff. It’s Maggot Approved.

  11. #2736
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Access to Granlibakken
    Posts
    9,994
    And smoke is here. Stoked to kick off the Purple Air monitor season thanks to some fine citizens who started a fire celebrating the 4th!
    Improve your AT boots with the StrapOff. It’s Maggot Approved.

  12. #2737
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Tahoe
    Posts
    15,173
    It seems likely whomever started it was also stuck in the powerhouse with the rest of the trapped folks. That must have been weird.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

  13. #2738
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Access to Granlibakken
    Posts
    9,994
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    It seems likely whomever started it was also stuck in the powerhouse with the rest of the trapped folks. That must have been weird.
    Yeah I thought that too. Awkward.
    Improve your AT boots with the StrapOff. It’s Maggot Approved.

  14. #2739
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    20,347
    Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    did you know that you can get lost coming out from the Peter Grubb Hut in a whiteout and miss Castle Pass and go over another “pass” and then just go for miles in the wrong direction following the wrong drainage and spend an extra night out and get picked up by a CHP helicopter the next day?

    ask me how I know that….

    it’s actually not uncommon - Randall O told me it was actually quite popular



    edited to add:

    just for context - that was 30 years ago

    I was 23 and that was my first solo overnight tour and I brought a bag and bivy and stove and shit to Peter Grubb Hut

    so I was super prepared - but I got lost and I got myself way more lost by just going and going

    when I saw the helicopter I knew it was for me
    I got mildly off route going over Castle Pass on a fine sunny day. I did manage to get myself straightened out pretty quickly by backtracking but I had to run to catch up to my friend who had gone the right way

  15. #2740
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    7,554
    Many, many years ago there was a father-son duo in sweatshirts and tennis shoes, in the Winter(!), that went down the wrong drainage from Peter Grub ........ Mikey??????

  16. #2741
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    the Low Sierra
    Posts
    15,582
    no I was solo and well prepared
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

  17. #2742
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    NorCal
    Posts
    576
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	784.0 KB 
ID:	420920

  18. #2743
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Truckee & Nor Cal
    Posts
    14,418

    22 Blue - Looking ahead to the New (aka Fuck Summer (aka Tahoe Thread))

    Yikes, pretty windy today too so fingers crossed. Mostly behind the airport and near legacy trail so far, I think a healthy distance from Glenshire (for now).
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

  19. #2744
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    1,664
    Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Yikes, pretty windy today too so fingers crossed. Mostly behind the airport and near legacy trail so far, I think a healthy distance from Glenshire (for now).
    I drove past it 45 minutes ago. It’s about halfway between 267 and Glenshire, on the opposite side of the river from Glenshire dr. (same side as Glenshire). Was still just brush burning, not trees.

    Wind is blowing more North, towards the, river than towards Glenshire. Smoke is still staying west of here.

  20. #2745
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    1,664
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E0FCD00C-2DB3-4C2A-B732-25BADA4A910D.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	458.9 KB 
ID:	420928

    https://twitter.com/cafirescanner/st...7awrMYFgzVXp7A

    https://twitter.com/firis/status/154...7awrMYFgzVXp7A

    Looks like they’re getting it under control. Much less smoke coming from the area than an hour ago.

  21. #2746
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    20,347
    It would be really shitty if the fire were to damage the TTSA facility. (Wastewater treatment for the entire Truckee-North Tahoe area.) OTOH if you're going to have a fire, next to an airport is convenient. Pretty close to where Truckee stores its bulldozer too.

  22. #2747
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    1,664
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    It would be really shitty if the fire were to damage the TTSA facility. (Wastewater treatment….
    No pun intended?

  23. #2748
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    20,347
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    No pun intended?
    Huh? Of course pun intended.
    They lifted the evacuation order for the eastern 2/3 of the zone. Nobody lives out there--mostly govt type maintenance and storage facilities facilities. Every time I get stuck behind a dump truck when I'm headed to the Roundhouse that's the direction the dump truck goes.

    Correction--they lifted the evacuation order for the western 1/3
    Last edited by old goat; 07-08-2022 at 12:25 AM.

  24. #2749
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,802
    Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    did you know that you can get lost coming out from the Peter Grubb Hut in a whiteout and miss Castle Pass and go over another “pass” and then just go for miles in the wrong direction following the wrong drainage and spend an extra night out and get picked up by a CHP helicopter the next day?

    ask me how I know that….
    Heh. Seems like numerous times I've descended Andesite and have gotten convinced I was heading towards the trailhead, when in fact (as I've generally verified quickly once I stopped and pulled out a compass/map, or more recently a digital map) I've tended to be a little or a lot further around to the west.

    Glad to hear that idiot's fire near Glenshire is under control.

  25. #2750
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    1,055
    I'm hearing rumors of a female arsonist who started multiple fires being arrested for that Joger Dr fire????

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •