Page 122 of 126 FirstFirst ... 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 LastLast
Results 3,026 to 3,050 of 3140
    Quote Originally Posted by dookeyXXX View Post
    I hear there is excellent sand skiing/boarding outside of Fallon…
    Well in that case, we definitely need to start the new thread!

IMHO, ski movies and ski swaps are preseason for the upcoming season. Therefore, they belong in the new thread.

Truckee ski swap Nov 5, 11-4
    https://www.tdrpd.org/221/Truckee-Ski-Swap

Tahoe XC ski swap (Tahoe City) Nov 12 9-4
    https://tahoexc.org/ski-swap

UNR ski swap (Reno) Oct 21
    https://unrskiswap.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	438BE9DC-AD80-4202-9EFA-A172E1DFE24E.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	712.9 KB 
ID:	427233

Holy Masturbation!!!!!

That's GORGEOUS!!!!!

I don't have the juice to write the little blurb at the top of the first post, but otherwise the new thread is a single cut and past job away...

Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by dookeyXXX View Post
    PS
    I hear there is excellent sand skiing/boarding outside of Fallon…
    Sand Mountain rec area is about 25 miles east of Fallon on 50. Watch out for coyotes
    Name:  sand-mountain-1.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  210.4 KB

Name:  sand-mountain-2.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  322.8 KB

Name:  sand-mountain-3.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  238.1 KB

it's way crowded with atv's on the weekends
    Last edited by powdork; 09-22-2022 at 11:04 PM.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I'm pretty sure that's a dog not a coyote... ;-)
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I always stop there on the way to Telluride. Thought about doing a lap but that's about it...thoughts. haha.

Friday movie in Reno at the new moment factory.
    Doors at 5 to tour the factory and drink beer/get food. Movie (undisclosed) at 9.

$20

https://www.momentskis.com/collectio...-opening-party

If you missed the earlier screenings - Buried (1982 AM avalanche doc) playing at the TC Art Haus until October 6th.

I’m currently building new construction going all electric, in Truckee, couple of things I can confirm:

1 - my 200A panel is plenty but don’t charge 2 EVs while running the dryer and the oven and the microwave at the same time

2 -we went with 2 powerwalls, which we think/hope we can discharge to 20% every night and not use much from the grid 9 months of the year. We can add more if we want. We have 24 panels. We’ll see….

3 - as of somewhat recently, powerwalls can charge from both solar and the grid, and I think that was a change

4 - Liberty, which covers some of Truckee, says nearly all of their electricity during daylight hours 9 months of the year comes from renewable sources, presumably solar

5 - pretty certain Truckee is not exempt from solar due to snow load, but you can get a shade exemption

6 - my Mitsubishi heat pump cost more than a gas furnace and ac, but after incentives I think will even out

7 - I was told an electric water heater can’t keep up w our cold ground water, so we went w gas for that

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Wood stove for heat?

Quote Originally Posted by jrf View Post
    5 - pretty certain Truckee is not exempt from solar due to snow load, but you can get a shade exemption
    There isn't a blanket exemption but there's an exception process documented here (depends on snow load requirements, roof angle, and how slippery the roof is): https://www.townoftruckee.com/home/s...41641520370000

22 Blue - Looking ahead to the New (aka Fuck Summer (aka Tahoe Thread))

I haven’t noticed many solar installations in the area because heavy snow loads would likely cut down their lifespan significantly (or require a lot of maintenance I would assume). Is there a good solution for this on the market currently?

There's also a film company that stole their name from this forum doing a showing in Truckee on Friday Sept 30 and the in the construction site formally know as the squaw valley village on Sat Oct 1.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I haven’t noticed many solar installations in the area because heavy snow loads would likely cut down their lifespan significantly (or require a lot of maintenance I would assume). Is there a good solution for this on the market currently?
    We’re using Simple Power Solar, they will come out and clear snow from the panels after storms a la snow removal services.

We’re also in Glenshire, which has probably the lowest snow load in Truckee. Lotsa solar installs out here.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

IME most people try to avoid solar if they can. However since 2020 it's required on all new builds in CA. Snow load exemption does not work for most builds. Gotta start to be way up Alpine Meadows, or on the summit, ect or with a pretty flat roof. Most people who want to avoid solar ask for a shade exemption. Some jurisdictions want a real study, others will take your word for it.
    I've seen solar panels fail, but mostly I've just seen them installed and that's that. Simple power does most of that work around here. They know their shit. Didn't know that they will help maintain from snow, that's legit.

Sent from my BE2015 using Tapatalk

Whether a building is exempted from PV due to snow load depends on roof angle and whether the roof slides. We're near the west end of Donner Lake with a snow load of 315, a low angle roof, and a deed restriction requiring a non sliding roof, due to the narrow side set back so we couldn't add solar, but for new construction a house can be required to be designed to accommodate it.

As far as whether electric hot water works in Truckee--we had two old standard tank electric water heaters when we bought our house that worked fine. Heat pump heated water might be another story.
    Some years ago we thought about a gas tankless water heater but were told that it wouldn't work due to the cold water here. More recently we put in a gas tankless and it works fine. One of the big obstacle to going all electric around here, especially retrofitting, is finding tradespeople who are qualified to design a system and install it properly. As the technology gets more and more complicated the shortage of qualified contractors and labor gets worse and worse. (Finding tradespeople around here for anything is a problem. We talked to someone--a construction manager--with a bad plumbing leak and the best she could find was someone who could come in April.)

Ugh. Drunk driver killed a construction flagger in Carnelian Bay

https://www.2news.com/news/traffic-c...c3f068614.html

New construction is required to have PV, unless the design/ location/ trees ect. exempt it. The building code does not (at this point) have the authority to require a redesign when a building is exempt. Though if it is not exempt, some changes may be required for access to components based on the fire code.

That's tragic. All high vis cloths and under lights...

Quote Originally Posted by Mokomahonah View Post
    New construction is required to have PV, unless the design/ location/ trees ect. exempt it. The building code does not (at this point) have the authority to require a redesign when a building is exempt. Though if it is not exempt, some changes may be required for access to components based on the fire code.

That's tragic. All high vis cloths and under lights...

Truckee will likely be enacting REACH codes very shortly, likely mandating all electric in new construction. So far we haven't heard that Truckee will require designs to be solar friendly--roof orientation, slope and materials. I'm going to ask about that at the Zoom webinar this aft/eve where the energy consultant is presenting what the energy stakeholders' committee has been up to for the last 6 months or so. Doesn't seem unreasonable that they would do it. Still, given that the biggest energy use in Truckee will be for heating in the winter--not the optimum season for solar here--it makes more sense for the solar to be off site in Nevada, on the grid. OTOH, since the most likely season to have a multiday outage is summer and fall, with the public safety outages, solar and batteries as backup might make more sense than a generator.

(We stayed at a house up near Graeagle last summer--it was "solar powered" --with a few panels on the roof and a generator charging the batteries while we were gone during the day and couldn't hear it.)

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Ugh. Drunk driver killed a construction flagger in Carnelian Bay

https://www.2news.com/news/traffic-c...c3f068614.html

Every time I get held up in construction during the day I grumble why can't they do this at night.
    This is why.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Truckee will likely be enacting REACH codes very shortly, likely mandating all electric in new construction. So far we haven't heard that Truckee will require designs to be solar friendly--roof orientation, slope and materials. I'm going to ask about that at the Zoom webinar this aft/eve where the energy consultant is presenting what the energy stakeholders' committee has been up to for the last 6 months or so. Doesn't seem unreasonable that they would do it. Still, given that the biggest energy use in Truckee will be for heating in the winter--not the optimum season for solar here--it makes more sense for the solar to be off site in Nevada, on the grid. OTOH, since the most likely season to have a multiday outage is summer and fall, with the public safety outages, solar and batteries as backup might make more sense than a generator.

(We stayed at a house up near Graeagle last summer--it was "solar powered" --with a few panels on the roof and a generator charging the batteries while we were gone during the day and couldn't hear it.)
    Do you get those in Truckee? We still haven't had one on the south shore to the best of my knowledge.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

We haven't had one yet. Last year was the first year that they started the program and they threatened one but then canceled it. No threats of one yet. We were told fall is the most likely time--when the fronts start coming through dry at first. It's blowing hard right now but not even red flag.
    We get a lot of outages in the summer--squirrel suicides, branches, etc, and because they turn off the auto reset in fire season the outages last hours because they have to inspect the whole circuit. We've had unscheduled outages of over 24 hours in the summer in the past. This summer we only had one and it didn't last that long.

No wonder the place names got changed so fast. Good on Deb Haaland
    https://wapo.st/3RB7Luh

Tahoe turning into Manhattan (a place full of empty luxury condos that basically serve as parking spots for rich peoples money) is probably what sends me elsewhere.

https://www.ntpac.org/drip-drip-drip...oe-development

Don't worry, the recession and mini housing collapse (mini compared to 2008) is coming. Just wait it out.