Page 14 of 126 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    I for one can not wait to sleep in and catch sweet pow VR laps at Palisades Tahoe meta!
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Isn't it now meh-tah or m8a or something?
    məˈta, as in "metastasizing misinformation."

Quote Originally Posted by NakedShorts View Post
    I for one can not wait to sleep in and catch sweet pow VR laps at Palisades Tahoe meta!
    You're going to have to pay for Fast Tracks access if you want sweet virtual pow. Otherwise you'll be standing in a virtual line at KT chair for 3 hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Report from the ski resort located near the Tahoe Palisades Real Estate development and investment opportunity.

Huge line for the funi as expected but moved quickly. Was loaded by 9:10. Full capacity, no mask restrictions. Coverage on groomers was decent. Didn't hit anything but surface was certainly not smooth. All in all absolutely 0 complaints for October. I don't see them lasting very long without another storm though. Big shoutout to them for pulling this off. I was long gone at a bootfitting appointment but I think the palisades at the palisades even opened for a bit.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3800.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	592.2 KB 
ID:	390809

Name:	IMG_3801.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	559.0 KB 
ID:	390810

Name:	IMG_3802.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	582.2 KB 
ID:	390811

Name:	IMG_3804.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	685.2 KB 
ID:	390813

The human pachinko slalom choke wiggle that all the runs off Shirley funneled into was interesting. I navigated it once and went back to Gold Coast. There were just too many fools who had no clue how to ski a narrow 1/2 cattrack width run.
    Snow window was def 9-11; full-on spring skiing in October.
    I took my skinny stix (74cm), but something in the 88-to-98 range woulda been the call.
    I thought it was kinda busy for a Friday, but guessing all the folks who moved up here during the crux of the pandemic were working "remotely" today.
    Expecting it to be a veritable shitshow tomorrow.
    And, yeah, unless we get another storm or temps drop, what they got open ain't gonna last long.
    And ditto on the kudos to the Palisades Tahoe crew for being able to find enough folks to run lifts, patrol, and farm snow. First time I can remember getting lift-served October laps in Tahoe in years.

PS
    Just realised that it is Outside Lands this weekend, so maybe tomorrow and Sunday will be kinda sorta mellowish...
    Last edited by dookey67; 10-29-2021 at 08:56 PM.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

I've skied the Shirley slalom course runout way too much the last decade or so.
    Given the amount of snow the upper part holds I wonder why they've never put in snowmaking on the lower part, given that for some reason Shirley is the most popular run on Palisades N and S. Not they've been doing any snowmaking anywhere this year yet but if it ever gets colder.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    The human pachinko slalom choke wiggle that all the runs off Shirley funneled into was interesting. I navigated it once and went back to Gold Coast. There were just too many fools who had no clue how to ski a narrow 1/2 cattrack width run.
    Snow window was def 9-11; full-on spring skiing in October.
    I took my skinny stix (74cm), but something in the 88-to-98 range woulda been the call.
    I thought it was kinda busy for a Friday, but guessing all the folks who moved up here during the crux of the pandemic were working "remotely" today.
    Expecting it to be a veritable shitshow tomorrow.
    And, yeah, unless we get another storm or temps drop, what they got open ain't gonna last long.
    And ditto on the kudos to the Palisades Tahoe crew for being able to find enough folks to run lifts, patrol, and farm snow. First time I can remember getting lift-served October laps in Tahoe in years.

PS
    Just realised that it is Outside Lands this weekend, so maybe tomorrow and Sunday will be kinda sorta mellowish...
    Today was Nevada Day. Holiday for many in Nevada
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    As I mentioned several pages back, the rental situation, at least on the south shore, seems to be abating somewhat.
    At least one area is getting better. North Lake is still fucked.

I wonder f the Caldor fire made a few people rethink living in SLT

You can’t rent a vacation home in residential areas of South Lake Tahoe. The California city allows short-term rentals (STRs) only in designated tourist areas.

Short-term rentals in nearby Douglas County are capped at 600, except for those also occupied by the owner.

And in Placer County on the California side of the lake, a 45-day moratorium imposed in July on new STRs to “address an unprecedented and growing housing crisis in the region” has been extended to March 2022, citing a “current and immediate threat to the public health, safety, and welfare associated with proliferation of STRs.”
    https://thisisreno.com/2021/10/tahoe...ation-rentals/

Truckee has a moratorium on new STR's, just passed by town council.

Caldor Fire, Measure T, shitty smoky summer, super weak last winter, Sierra not hiring nearly as many people likely all play a role.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by grubbers View Post
    At least one area is getting better. North Lake is still fucked.
    I thought I replied already but I guess not. Sun Bear realty has a few homes listed on CL and this Homewood 2/2 just showed up for $1500. Someone should jump on it
    https://reno.craigslist.org/apa/d/we...401043897.html

^^ musta gotten swooped cuz the posting was deleted within the last 15 minutes.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

pd - congrats on emailing the land manager. The more they hear from us users, the better. People, especially public servants, like to know others care. Many of us likely visit more often and more deeply than they, they need our feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Truckee has a moratorium on new STR's, just passed by town council.
    Too little too late. It's only until next June.

If they were serious, they would limit the number of STR nights allowed in a calendar year. Could eliminate full time hotels in neighborhoods without impacting those who are doing it the way it was originally intended.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post

If they were serious, they would limit the number of STR nights allowed in a calendar year. Could eliminate full time hotels in neighborhoods without impacting those who are doing it the way it was originally intended.
    I've said it before, I'll say it again. If they (as well as Placer, El Dorado, SLT, and everywhere else) were serious, they would eliminate STR entirely, except for primary residences. If that's the only way you can afford a second (or third or fourth) home, you can't really afford a second home, and you deserve no pity or special favors from the rest of the community. The moratorium might have been effective if they did it 15 years ago.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

This makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    I've said it before, I'll say it again. If they (as well as Placer, El Dorado, SLT, and everywhere else) were serious, they would eliminate STR entirely, except for primary residences. If that's the only way you can afford a second (or third or fourth) home, you can't really afford a second home, and you deserve no pity or special favors from the rest of the community. The moratorium might have been effective if they did it 15 years ago.
    The moratorium was passed as an urgency ordinance, allowing it to take effect immediately. They did it because of a spike in STR applications after Placer passed their moratorium. There was a lot of debate and I don't recall if the moratorium applies to applications already submitted but not approved. There was also talk about allowing existing STRs that were in escrow to stay STRs under the new owner. STR certificates don't transfer when a house it sold; the new owner has to apply for a new certificate. I don't remember what they decided about that one either.

By law an urgency ordinance has to pass by 4/5 vote, is good for 45 days and can be renewed for I think 10 months 15 days--so 1 year total. By that time Truckee plans to have reviewed the whole STR situation and will consider permanent limits among other things. The urgency ordinance applies to people renting in their primary residence and there was a lot of pushback on this. The council seemed to imply that when the permanent ordinance is enacted primary homeowners will very possibly be allowed to register new STRs.

My feeling --no more STRs except for primary homeowners. Sharply limit the number of days existing and new STRs can be rented per year. Let second homeowners who want to be able to use their house short term rent--those houses wouldn't become long term rentals anyway. Many of he places that are pure STR's would become LTR's. Some would be sold as primary residences and some would of course become second homes. Continue the ban on STR's in newly permitted construction.

The original idea behind airbnb--at least the idea that was publicly promoted--was that people would rent out a room in their home or maybe a little MIL suite or that people would rent out their house when they went on vacaton. It wasn't supposed to allow people to turn houses into hotels--but I'm sure the founders were well aware that that is what would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    My feeling --no more STRs except for primary homeowners. Sharply limit the number of days existing and new STRs can be rented per year. Let second homeowners who want to be able to use their house short term rent--those houses wouldn't become long term rentals anyway. Many of he places that are pure STR's would become LTR's. Some would be sold as primary residences and some would of course become second homes. Continue the ban on STR's in newly permitted construction.
    The problem is that if you allow second homeowners to rent as str's you have done next to nothing to solve the problem. Since measure T passed many of the second homeowners are renting as long term rentals. For either 3, 6, or 9 months typically (satisfies the long term rental requirement). This can work for locals to get housing until finding a longer term solution since most are renting furnished. It's not ideal but it is marginally better a than a van down by the river.

edit-for instance, the place I am moving out of was set up to sleep 6 as an str. It's 200sq'
    Last edited by powdork; 10-30-2021 at 06:41 PM.

22 Blue - Looking ahead to the New (aka Fuck Summer (aka Tahoe Thread))

Fun day today, because it was skiing and it’s October.

Name:	Image1635639516.738006.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	237.0 KB 
ID:	390951

Name:	Image1635640629.635795.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	194.3 KB 
ID:	390953

No lines or crowds up here. Palisades official was even open. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211029_115537.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	67.5 KB 
ID:	390962Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211029_115941.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	390963

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Did all you guys Photoshop out the crowds in your Palisades Tahoe pix?
    When I was there yesterday between 9:30 and noon there was never a time when the slopes weren't clogged with people...seriously, how did all of you manage to snap pix of empty runs?
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    The problem is that if you allow second homeowners to rent as str's you have done next to nothing to solve the problem. Since measure T passed many of the second homeowners are renting as long term rentals. For either 3, 6, or 9 months typically (satisfies the long term rental requirement). This can work for locals to get housing until finding a longer term solution since most are renting furnished. It's not ideal but it is marginally better a than a van down by the river.

edit-for instance, the place I am moving out of was set up to sleep 6 as an str. It's 200sq'
    ^^^This. But also, there's a lot of people that bought a second home that can only afford it by renting it out when they are not there. Some may end up getting rented long term, but I'm sure quite a few would be put up for sale, increasing inventory, which would only help to keep prices in check, especially if hoteliers are no longer in the market. And the would be guests of the STRs would now be staying in actual hotels, where actual locals work, which would help the economy. Also, it would be nice if everywhere around the lake and in Truckee had the same rules. If certain places have restrictions, it's gonna put more pressure on the places that don't.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Dookey: yeah - selective angles...no one was hiking, really. Turn the camera to the left and it's full-on WROD pinball.