Page 121 of 126 FirstFirst ... 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,025 of 3140
    Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    I don't want to derail the parking and skiing on a few flakes stoke, but HOLY SHIT the trails in Carson City are the best I've ever experienced them. Whatever your plans are tomorrow, you need to cancel them and ride instead.
    I concur
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	powerlinewhiskey.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	427071

It was weird driving around yesterday afternoon in the rain. Every car or truck was loaded with bikes. Good to see.
    Later today I hope to be parking and skiing a few flakes next to the car. We'll see.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by splitter View Post
    Man, some of you really fret over the new thread huh?
    That implies some of you are aggressively apathetic. But really, I think it's easier to post about starting it than to actually do it. We're all just hoping somebuddy else does the thing.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    I ATTACH=CONFIG]427071[/ATTACH]
    Nice shot

Sweet snap, PD. Tilted?
    Good luck with snow. I went up rose and there was barely as much as on the windshield at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Great article in Freehub by Kurt Gensheimer about local MTB legend Jonnie Benda (aka JP) - think you have to be a subscriber to read for now: https://freehubmag.com/features/time-flies

On that note, Truckee Dirt Union is helping Sierra Buttes open up a "new" fire lookout descent (a la Mills Peak) off the summit of Babbitt Peak, called Badenaugh Canyon, just north of Truckee. Come help us open up this lost gem - Friday, Sept. 30. Some info here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CingZSIJDfz/

Sup white stuff on Rose!

Name:	IMG_5372.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	427077
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    The 10-11 thread - the biggest snow year we've ever had - was started in late August. Just saying.
    Thinking about that winter still makes me smile. SO many powder days even in the foothills.

Quote Originally Posted by dookeyXXX View Post
    Snapped my fibula at PTOV back on 5/13, so have been on injured reserve all spring/summer.
    Vets definitely skied both in August and September, though.
    Bummer. Heal up! (I’m still rehabbing from a knee injury in April.)

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    My understanding is that home-sized batteries are good for less than a day and are intended to reduce the need for grid power during the night and cloudy days. What people need backup power for are anticipated multiday outages--either planned or due to weather and other events.
    I think the big dream plan is that multi-day outages will become much more rare… because of utopia….

I’m curious about that interpretation that a mandate means that the town can’t provide financial assistance. Is the requirement for defensible space a “mandate?” There’s lots of financial assistance for helping property owners with defensible space.

Regarding the batteries, the powerwall is good for about 10-12 hours but there are bigger ones out there and they are scalable.

Forgot about that, Dookey67! Hope the healing is going well.

I keep saying every year that it would be nice to put a calendar of fall ski movies in the thread for the season they are supposed to provide stoke in. First showing I see is October 1. That would mean starting the new thread about now. These are like preseason games. This nice wet few days is like an exhibition. Just a freak storm that made biking really good and didn't provide any skiing except as a gimmick. If you really want to couple the thread start to ski conditions, then it should happen when there's enough snow above, say, 8k to shut down mountain biking. But that would be after New Years some years. This feels like a good time. It's the equinox today, and of calendar summer, time to evaluate and plan ahead for the cold months. New water year starts in nine days. We're still gonna get some great summer weather but we've definitely turned the corner.

Time for a classic Alpine Spring video...well just because...

And some classic Kirkwood for good measure... (yes, I'm procrastinating at work)

Quote Originally Posted by splitter View Post
    Man, some of you really fret over the new thread huh?
    Fretting about the new thread is a time-honored tradition around here, young fella.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post

I think the big dream plan is that multi-day outages will become much more rare… because of utopia….

I’m curious about that interpretation that a mandate means that the town can’t provide financial assistance. Is the requirement for defensible space a “mandate?” There’s lots of financial assistance for helping property owners with defensible space.
    This was a statement made at one of the workshops, as reported to me. Shaft seems to know more about it than I do. I do not know where that information or disinformation comes from.

Likewise the 400A panel requirement I mentioned earlier--according to a state cost benefit analysis of all-electric new houses, 200A is what is required.

This is what happens when information is filtered out to the community by word of mouth, passing through many people. Hopefully the town at some point will have well advertised community meetings so we can have some reliable information we can all agree on.

What I gleaned from reading the state's c/b analyses of all-electric new housing and gas-to-electric retrofits. Is that all-electric new is cost effective in all climate zones. Converting gas heat to a heat pump is not, nor is converting gas water heat to heat pump water heat in this climate zone. The fact that retrofitting is not cost effective doesn't necessarily mean it shouldn't be done--there still is the climate benefit--but in a perfect world the govt would offer subsidies to make conversion cost effective over the expected life of the equipment.

BTW--a big part of the reason heat pumps are cost effective in new construction seems to be that they provide both heating and AC. I suppose that as time goes on, having AC will be more and more attractive in this area. But if we compare a house with a gas furnace and no AC with a house with a heat pump where people use the AC--how much green house gas does the heat pump save when our energy mix still has substantial fossil fuel?

Also--some of the cost benefit of a heat pump is eliminating the need for a gas line to the house. But if people want to install a natural gas generator for outages that cost benefit is eliminated. Maybe that's why they're talking about ending SW Gas franchise to install new lines.

Name:	D9D04152-0A9A-4231-ABCC-390494D0F878.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	427109

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Later today I hope to be parking and skiing a few flakes next to the car. We'll see.

Name:	GPTempDownload.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	427110

Name:	7DD0936C-1422-4E60-981A-951DF224463D.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	765.3 KB 
ID:	427111

Timing is everything

Name:	ACDBE678-956E-4637-A4C9-719AE8252F04.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	652.1 KB 
ID:	427112

^^NEW 22/23 THREAD!!!!!!!

;-)

Name:  DOIT.PNG
Views: 544
Size:  845.5 KB

The new thread should start when the first area fires up the snow guns. That's the hill I'm prepared to die on.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The new thread should start when the first area fires up the snow guns. That's the hill I'm prepared to die on.
    By that criteria, last year that would've been in Aug when the Caldor blazed through and Sierra fired up their snow guns.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Yeah, timing is everything. That's why you need to know things like which direction the storm is blowing from, whether it's the weekend, if streets have been plowed to your destination, if things will open, if you can get away from kids/job... You may feel as if you've mastered the rhythm of the snows, but it's good to train for the next level. In the not-too-distant future, we will be skilled at finding a stretch of low-angle asphalt that cooled off just enough at night and go there during the 15 minutes of a heavy downpour so we can wiggle out 6 turns before it melts. Then we brag that we actually got some turns this season and thank the climate for not taking away even that tiny moment of glisse.

On a (hopefully) less dismal note: What's worth keeping and what needs updating or just deleting from the first pages of the thread?

I myself actually don't use any of it. I just want to share stoke and get current conditions/gossip so I just go to the most recent posts. I just bookmarked a couple NWS weather, a few cams and opensnow. It seems like food and bootfitting recs are useful to folks. The first post is pretty trim and concise. Emergency numbers are smart. If there's anything missing or unnecessary, speak up about it.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Yeah, timing is everything. That's why you need to know things like which direction the storm is blowing from, whether it's the weekend, if streets have been plowed to your destination, if things will open, if you can get away from kids/job... You may feel as if you've mastered the rhythm of the snows, but it's good to train for the next level. In the not-too-distant future, we will be skilled at finding a stretch of low-angle asphalt that cooled off just enough at night and go there during the 15 minutes of a heavy downpour so we can wiggle out 6 turns before it melts. Then we brag that we actually got some turns this season and thank the climate for not taking away even that tiny moment of glisse.
    Hopefully in the future it will still be really easy to know if it's the weekend or not. Also, if you knew anything about anything you'd know 6 turns doesn't count for shit. It's the same as zero turns. You can't even start bragging until after 10 turns.

1 switch to the road turn > 6 gs turns > 10 slalom turns

Looking forward to telling my great grandkids who have been mountain biking all year their whole lives about the glory days when we could actually get 10 turns.

Man, you fools are short-sighted.
    Plus your negativity in regards to presumed lack of/decline in snow is harshing my mellow.
    We’ll still be able to ski/board, we will just have to adapt to new terrain/conditions.
    This German dude in Namibia saw the future years—close to 2 decades— ago:
    https://www.powder.com/stories/trave...he-dune-skier/

Also, I am eagerly awaiting the return of those tractor tread grass+dirt skis…

Plus Candide starting prepping for less snow at least 6 years ago…

PS
    I hear there is excellent sand skiing/boarding outside of Fallon…

"Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Do I need chains over the pass?

For you, yes. That aught to keep you going the same speed as traffic, instead of warp speed =p