Page 27 of 126 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Heavenly sent emails to at least some of their bar employees on the Cali side telling them they would be open this weekend. This was as of Sunday night and pertained to Steins, Cali Bar and even Sky although we couldn't figure that one out but maybe they have enough there too. They have been focusing on the Patsy's zone with snowmaking and maybe that's possible since it's such a depression it may have it's own inversion.
    Seems a little iffy but I’ll take anything at this point.

Saturday:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1638833001.293024.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	405.1 KB 
ID:	395614

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Looks like Maggie’s and Patsy’s will go. Holy shit what a cluster fuck that would be.

Name:	Image1638833690.596168.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	220.2 KB 
ID:	395617

Name:	IMG_4607.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	182.9 KB 
ID:	395618

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Mokomahonah View Post
    The gate was closed for a few weeks, but had a soft reopening I guess you could say.
    I don't often ski in the Flat Top Pk. bowl mid season since it is so far down the road. It is a great spot for a hut tho. Plenty of short and sweet lines in that area with lots of exposure choice.
    Now that you mention it, I didn't assume the gate was closed since your above comment jogged my snow starved memory reminding me that I drove by the entrance that first week of November after the October storm to see if the gate was still open and it was locked, so I wrote it off (didn't bother driving out to Blackwood then, either, as I figured if Pole Creek was closed it would be, too).
    Oh well.
    I switched to my snow tires already, so am avoiding the 4x4 action.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Toad View Post
    Looks like Maggie’s and Patsy’s will go. Holy shit what a cluster fuck that would be.
    I'm assuming there will be much more by Saturday with the Wednesday-Thurs storm and the associated cold temps. There's even almost 2" new at adventure peak snowstake now. I also assume there is a bunch more snow from the October storm once you get above powderbowl. Also, when I said this weekend, Friday is the target date.

Quote Originally Posted by NakedShorts View Post
    Maybe they are trying to pull a Sqaure Valley (open for a weekend and then close) so they can get some holiday bookings. Seems like they are fine opening shit terrain nowadays as long as they get their rooms filled for Santy Clause.
    I disagree. Both Heavenly and Kirkwood use to open with much worse conditions. Vail (around here anyway) seems to have a different guest or experience in mind when they decide if there is enough snow to open. Part of that was due to not having the gondola, tamarack, or the whole adventure peak zone.

Also, bitching about a resort opening when they can is weak IMO, even if you think they have an ulterior motive. Lots of people skied. Every resort should do the same always.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

It’s kinda storming down here at 5000 ft. What’s it doing up on the mountains
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

I recall one season years ago (before Vail), where Heavenly opened early with nothing but patsies run open. It wasn't very spectacular conditions for opening day, but it was still fun as hell to spend an entire day doing a hundred laps on that little run.

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    It’s kinda storming down here at 5000 ft. What’s it doing up on the mountains
    Light drizzle at Casa Dookey (approx 6300).
    Heard it was raining over Brockway Summit (but that news is now an hour old)...
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

On north shore it started getting actual wet in the afternoon. Just drove home at 7 and it's legit raining. Was not expecting this much from the Fx and it feels like more than 1/10th of an inch with the puddles and constant wiper use.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

FYI: Alpine Meadows avalanche movie extended another week. I've heard that the Q&A has been really cool.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Looks like snow on the KW cam right now. They really only need a few inches of snow to get race course open off 5. I imagine they will have lower zacs and montes open as well with some skulls and cross bones warnings out. If they get the high end of the storm late in the week and the can fill the hole so thy can groom zachs, they will have 6 spinning as well. Oly should be good to go as well, though they might hold off on Montes until the choke fills in a bit more. Not sure if 10" of fluff would be enough.

Next week looks interesting...

Just wanted to give a shoutout to MTT for a being an all around standout guy, and great dude! The type of person that keeps me returning to TGR and leaves me with faith in this little part of the ski community.

MTT, thanks a bunch for being a homie. I really appreciate the kindness!

-W

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    On north shore it started getting actual wet in the afternoon. Just drove home at 7 and it's legit raining. Was not expecting this much from the Fx and it feels like more than 1/10th of an inch with the puddles and constant wiper use.
    look at the radar at what's still to come as well. On a sadder note it is getting warmer

Maybe they are trying to pull a Sqaure Valley (open for a weekend and then close) so they can get some holiday bookings. Seems like they are fine opening shit terrain nowadays as long as they get their rooms filled for Santy Clause.

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2021/...-city-4-hours/

Unless they think they will be blowing while it is snowing no way they have enough snow to open, unless my point from above is true. Then all they really care about is perception.
    I’m already booked for the holidays. And the week after the holidays. And the week after that...

My perception is that I am grateful that heavenly is trying to open whatever they can. The fact that they are running ops out of cal base is a major bonus for me. I would rather have patsy’s open than cal trail any year. It might be “shit” terrain but it’s lift served skiing and early season ops out the gondola sucks for parking.

Heavenly snowmakers have saved many seasons for me and I appreciate the money vail invests to get heavenly open. opening up skyline trail in 11/12 was an incredible investment of time, resources and money.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF29I3tSLSs

There are a lot of things that I don’t like about vail, but questioning the commitment to open is not one of them.

^^^^ Of course we can question Vails commitment to opening, at least when considering KW. Several times they had plenty of snow to open up early but they waited. One season since Vil ought the place many of us here were touring all over the hill on Veterans Day. We skied Sentinel/Jims zone, the Wall and even took a run down Eagle and climb out of the saddle to the top of the back.

Vail waited until Thanksgiving week to open that yeah, claiming they did not yet have enough snow. They never got more snow, but it did rain on top of what we skied before they openned. Guess they were just waiting for some ice to develop.. So, yeah, I question their commitment to open. They like a schedule. Scheduled opening and scheduled closing. Never let it depend on the snow. Just because they are willing to spend a shit ton of resources to create WRODS does not make the interested in opening when they can. They have a schedule to stick to.

Well, it rained all night at 6400' but getting some moisture into the ground that had completely dried out over the past month isn't the worst thing before next week.

Vail is fully committed to getting Northstar and Heavenly open - we know they don't give a shit about Kirkwood. So it's apples and oranges.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Pretty sure the Suits in the marketing department are starting to worry. This is about holiday bookings. The beginning of the season ALWAYS is.

Looks like we should count on sliding next weekend and anything that pops this weekend will be a bonus but I am not stoked to ski Patsy's or Maggie's (no wall hits bro) Chair 5 would be better and we would make the drive to stand in a line.

Do not cast my tone as bitching or pessimistic I just speak about what I see. Not blowing at Comet so hopefully they are at Powderbowl.

Even the local news girl thinks 2-3 inches will get the ski season started. It will not. It will get resorts open but that is for the Suits.

I took one for the team and booked a trip heading back east next week. Expect major snow now. You're welcome everyone.

If you really think they are close to opening you are listening and not looking.

Name:	Screenshot_2021-12-07-07-55-05-662_com.android.chrome.jpg 
Size:	988.8 KB 
ID:	395711
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

Looks like those Right leaning Alpine County folks are taking one out of the TTrump playbook and building a wall to keep the Kooks out.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2021-12-07-08-17-03-720_com.android.chrome.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	923.3 KB 
ID:	395714
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

Quote Originally Posted by Wobby View Post
    Just wanted to give a shoutout to MTT for a being an all around standout guy, and great dude! The type of person that keeps me returning to TGR and leaves me with faith in this little part of the ski community.

MTT, thanks a bunch for being a homie. I really appreciate the kindness!

-W
    Thanks. Just got to get some snow and see if she likes them
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

22 Blue - Looking ahead to the New (aka Fuck Summer (aka Tahoe Thread))

If you really think they are close to opening you are listening and not looking.

Name:	Screenshot_2021-12-07-07-55-05-662_com.android.chrome.jpg 
Size:	988.8 KB 
ID:	395711
    I skied there this morning. They could open 5 tomorrow if they wanted. those walls you see are piles of snow waiting to be moved around
    Patrol heading up when I left

Name:	IMG_1825.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	215.9 KB 
ID:	395738

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    FYI: Alpine Meadows avalanche movie extended another week. I've heard that the Q&A has been really cool.
    Awesome! Just snagged tix for Friday night!
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

might try for Saturday
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    I skied there this morning. They could open 5 tomorrow if they wanted. those walls you see are piles of snow waiting to be moved around
    Patrol heading up when I left

Name:	IMG_1825.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	215.9 KB 
ID:	395738
    This is exciting. My Wednesday meeting in the bay is the WORST timing.

22 Blue - Looking ahead to the New (aka Fuck Summer (aka Tahoe Thread))

To be clear, they could open tomorrow. They aren’t though. This islowerzacks. All the man made us next door in the park run

https://youtu.be/7mBTJlg9ARM

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums