Page 113 of 126 FirstFirst ... 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,825 of 3140
    My girls are 7 and 10. I looked up the Vikingsholm trail and that sounds about right. Thx

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Take some beach stuff it makes it much more worth it. And don't miss hike up to the bottom of eagle falls from Vikingsholm (not the hike to upper eagle falls above highway 89). Parking at the top of Vikingshom fills up early, and everything will be better in the preafternoon sun generally. The earlier you go, the more you will like it regardless of how long you stay.
    Name:  005.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  150.9 KB
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Angora Lake for lemonade a rowboat and the win! Go early and it’s only a mile. It’s the real deal.

http://www.aboutlaketahoe.com/hiking.htm
    look for the ones that say 'Great for Kids'

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    The SLT city campground website warns of loud construction noises while the aquatic center is being built this year.
    Any idea of the construction schedule? Sounds like it’s just beginning.
    They have been moving dirt
    They start trenching for utilities later this week

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Depends on the age of the kid but Vikingsholm (Emerald Bay) is a nice mellow hike.
    The drive and parking OTOH is not so mellow.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The drive and parking OTOH is not so mellow.
    Agreed. Personally, I wouldn't let the 7 year old drive.

Why not? He would probably drive better than at least half the adults that drive there.

Why not? He would probably drive better than at least half the adults that drive there.
    User name checks out.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    User name checks out.
    No angle parking at Emerald Bay. Just perpendicular parking. And parkng in the middle of the road.
    For angle parking you go to the Donner Summit PCT SB trailhead and park diagonally across the perpendicular parking stripes. Extra GNAR points if you do it right in front of the Park Perpendicular sign. Triple extra GNAR points if you park parallel.

There used to be (still there?) a Model A below the highway in the switchback area south of emerald bay.

I wonder if the frame of a wrecked bus is still there below old 40 near Donner Summit. I haven't looked for it for a while.

we watched a buddy’s car roll off Old 40 from the parking area at Black Wall

it was interesting to watch it go while we were climbing
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I assume he wasn't in it. I have had my car parked on an icy driveway slide across Donner Pass rd. Fortunately the berm stopped it from going into the lake.
    Here's an update on the construction on old 40. Some striping first half and next week and then it sounds like done.
    https://www.nevadacountyca.gov/230/D...Reconstruction
    Drove up it last Saturday and it was a pleasure to be able to pass the climbing bikes without wondering what was going to come around the corner.

he wasn’t in it - he watched it go down from another route he was climbing - pretty fkn funneh
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

there's at least a few cars under echo summit just above the xmas valley bouldering area. All much more visible now.

Truckee applying for a grant to put synced stoplights on Bridge St at DPR and W River. No longer will we be able to sit at the B of A and watch the chaos at the 3 way stop. Sad/

End of an era.
    Gotta grab one of the "locals don't stop" shirts ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    End of an era.
    Gotta grab one of the "locals don't stop" shirts ASAP.
    Ha, I was going to say the same. Pretty sure they're still selling them at Full Belly Deli.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Ha, I was going to say the same. Pretty sure they're still selling them at Full Belly Deli.
    I never saw those. As it happens I'm going to FBD in a bit. I'll have to check em out.

Truckee applying for a grant to put synced stoplights on Bridge St at DPR and W River. No longer will we be able to sit at the B of A and watch the chaos at the 3 way stop. Sad/
    At yet another (in the ever growing list) reason to never go downtown…plus, the traffic DT is horrible now, can only imagine how synched lights will exacerbate the situation.

I, personally, am smh at the logic (illogic?) of the new roundabout at the EB 80 on-ramp across from the Chevron on DPR in Truckee.
    Honestly, all they needed to do was put in a fwy only right lane.
    Toolrists and transplants already can’t handle the other roundabouts in town, so yeah put more in.
    Brilliant.

Every time they put in a new roundabout anywhere in Tahoe I am reminded of the failed roundabout experiment in SF’s Lower Haight in the early 2000s.
    They put a bunch of roundabouts in and within a few weeks they removed them all because nobody had a clue how to use them and kept crashing into other cars, pedestrians, and cyclists…
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

I bet they end up re-doing the design of that roundabout. How is a truck going to not get stuck during a snowstorm when the fwy is closed. Truckee is making more traffic instead of solving traffic problems.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

Quote Originally Posted by dookeyXXX View Post
    At yet another (in the ever growing list) reason to never go downtown…plus, the traffic DT is horrible now, can only imagine how synched lights will exacerbate the situation.

I, personally, am smh at the logic (illogic?) of the new roundabout at the EB 80 on-ramp across from the Chevron on DPR in Truckee.
    Honestly, all they needed to do was put in a fwy only right lane.
    Toolrists and transplants already can’t handle the other roundabouts in town, so yeah put more in.
    Brilliant.

Every time they put in a new roundabout anywhere in Tahoe I am reminded of the failed roundabout experiment in SF’s Lower Haight in the early 2000s.
    They put a bunch of roundabouts in and within a few weeks they removed them all because nobody had a clue how to use them and kept crashing into other cars, pedestrians, and cyclists…
    I personally like the new roundabouts they’ve been putting in around town, but did just see that one at I-80 for the first time this morning. We’ll see…

There’s another one going in on Glenshire drive near Rock and Rose, which should help with getting to/from Glenshire to downtown. Making that left from Glenshire Dr onto Truckee Way sucks at busy times.

IME all the roundabouts Truckee has put in have made things better, not worse. Roundabouts have been shown to reduce accidents at intersections. Busy day at Donner. I just drove back and forth through the half built one at the Donner Lake interchange and it's already better than it was before. Truckee has built enough roundabouts and I haven't heard of a truck getting stuck. On some of the uphill off ramps OTOH . . . .

I hope they haven't canceled the one planned for Northwoods and DPR. I was at a meeting about it and the TD folks were unhappy.

Lights, stops signs, roundabouts, every man for himself--it doesn't matter once traffic is in failure mode. You can't go through a roundabout any faster than the backed up traffic past it.

Roundabouts are great and having one more there is a great idea. And same deal for northwoods and DPR… must be summer only tourons.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.