Page 51 of 126 FirstFirst ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 3140
    Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    https://www.sfgate.com/travel/articl...c-16346239.php

I want someone to do this with a family and ski gear for a weekend trip and provide a TR. I am sure it will go great.
    Been there, done that. No TR tho.
    Amtrak to Truckee used to be a lot better. Used the G'hound a coupla times. But, its not gonna be quick.
    Managed something like 16yrs without a car, coming from Oakland.
    But, no Ski-Bus this year, or last, which made it all possible (Sports basement has w/e buses to Pali)

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

I get it gimp. For sure. I too live in a resort town and tourist can be a PITA. Add snowmegedon and lack of preparedness, and it is a shit show. Still, I also understand why they keep pouring in. Part of it having to do with the resorts marketing being primarily about powder over the last decade, part of it with IG FOMO, part of it touron stupidity.

As for the 80 shit show, it was there in 2000 and is a big part of why I chose to buy a KW pass that year over any north shore resort. It is roulette driving that road in the snow with 2-3 lanes of traffic side by side. On my handful of powder day visits to SB and AM back then, I would dodge a multi car accident at least once, if not more, on my drive up. The combo of BA drivers with little to no snow driving experience and the trucks was just too scary for me.

For sure when 80 closes it creates a full on shit show in SLT. I know folks who have contributed to that over the years and gave them shit about it. I do try to let people in my circle understand what it means to be up there in a cycle like this. Even my friends with a place in KW can kook out. One was complaining that their kids were missing ski school days and the hill was "promising" to open 5, but it did not look like it was happening. Told her to go out and work on the sled run and stop complaining and tried to explain the hazards to patrol, staff and customers on the 26th. Even after going up there for over a decade, she still does not get it. I peg that to having money, but that is a different subject.

PD, I'm banking on the Spur popping before the morning commute. If not, I'll poke into Meyers briefly before turning south. Promise, I won't clog up SLT.

And with that, I'm done and will work on figuring out how to post pics to this site again. For some reason the ap won't let me sign in and it has been close to a decade since I posted pics via a computer.

Peace to you Tahoe locals who have to deal with all this shit. And for my part, I'll remind my few friends to stay off the local streets and don't use their phones to navigate. I'm just gonna be stoked we have a snow pack and water for at least one more year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Yes, and why not? It is near the end of the storm cycle, a holiday week, resorts opening terrain and some of those people likely have paid for lodging that they can't refund at this point. Do you think they would just stay home, not vacation and eat the costs? Honestly, who cares if you need to wait in traffic if you end up with a great four day vacation in the snow after a mega storm. This is what some of us live for.

Tho we postponed a day in hopes of a quicker drive. My wife is stoked, but I wish we had driven up this morning. At least some of the peeps at KW are breaking up that wind crust for us and allowing for better transport. Next few days look stellar, and no ones seems to ride there during the holidays. Empty corrals and only the front side open.
    That pic is people trying to leave Tahoe, not get here.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

I honestly don’t understand why the Bay Areas skis Tahoe during a Holiday weekend. It is much easier to fly or drive somewhere else. Maybe I am spoiled but the best powder is not worth spending half your vacation stuck in traffic.

Careful out there now the trees want to kill you too
    This tree has been loaded since the storm started. Today it released while I was shoveling.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2044.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	214.1 KB 
ID:	398712

Name:	IMG_2059.JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	226.6 KB 
ID:	398713

Some of these ice blocks are still in the 50lb+ range

Name:	IMG_2060.JPG 
Views:	122 
Size:	357.1 KB 
ID:	398714

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by grubbers View Post
    Just a quick reminder for those of you that ski the west shore. If the normal pullout isn’t clear, you need to dig a spot and get yourself completely out of the roadway. And even that can piss off the plow drivers if you dig out a random shoulder.

Don’t be that sprinter parked in the middle of 89 just because they didn’t finish plowing to Emerald Bay.
    If last week is any indication, pullouts are not going to be plowed for several days after a storm. In addition to shoveling, don't parallel park (diagonal will fit the most cars with the least shoveling), and maybe carpool if possible. Or maybe just figure out somewhere else to ski (might require some thinking, initiative, and trail breaking, and most apps, instagram posts, or featured "content" won't steer you there, but it's possible).
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I get it gimp. For sure. I too live in a resort town and tourist can be a PITA. Add snowmegedon and lack of preparedness, and it is a shit show. Still, I also understand why they keep pouring in. Part of it having to do with the resorts marketing being primarily about powder over the last decade, part of it with IG FOMO, part of it touron stupidity.

As for the 80 shit show, it was there in 2000 and is a big part of why I chose to buy a KW pass that year over any north shore resort. It is roulette driving that road in the snow with 2-3 lanes of traffic side by side. On my handful of powder day visits to SB and AM back then, I would dodge a multi car accident at least once, if not more, on my drive up. The combo of BA drivers with little to no snow driving experience and the trucks was just too scary for me.

For sure when 80 closes it creates a full on shit show in SLT. I know folks who have contributed to that over the years and gave them shit about it. I do try to let people in my circle understand what it means to be up there in a cycle like this. Even my friends with a place in KW can kook out. One was complaining that their kids were missing ski school days and the hill was "promising" to open 5, but it did not look like it was happening. Told her to go out and work on the sled run and stop complaining and tried to explain the hazards to patrol, staff and customers on the 26th. Even after going up there for over a decade, she still does not get it. I peg that to having money, but that is a different subject.

PD, I'm banking on the Spur popping before the morning commute. If not, I'll poke into Meyers briefly before turning south. Promise, I won't clog up SLT.

And with that, I'm done and will work on figuring out how to post pics to this site again. For some reason the ap won't let me sign in and it has been close to a decade since I posted pics via a computer.

Peace to you Tahoe locals who have to deal with all this shit. And for my part, I'll remind my few friends to stay off the local streets and don't use their phones to navigate. I'm just gonna be stoked we have a snow pack and water for at least one more year.
    "Deal with this shit??" Isn't that why they live there?

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    I honestly don’t understand why the Bay Areas skis Tahoe during a Holiday weekend. It is much easier to fly or drive somewhere else. Maybe I am spoiled but the best powder is not worth spending half your vacation stuck in traffic.
    Well, the best powder is in Utah, so, yeah, fly instead of drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, the best powder is in Utah, so, yeah, fly instead of drive.
    And if you can probably stay on the hill in Utah for the same price as renting a house in Tahoe. But then you don’t have the pleasure of spending half your vacation in the car, you will actually get to ski.

Plus in wasangeles you get the pow day pleasure of a 2 hour 10 mile drive to remind you of home !
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

Spur is open yay.

I will ski tomorrow and not impact South Lake one bit!

Chair 10 must have been awesome today. Anyone have a guess when is KW gonna open the backside?

Was sitting at the bar in Truckee Tavern yesterday and there was a couple from Texas complaining that their vacation was ruined because we didn’t know how to ‘deal with snow’. Fuck off, you should have stayed home but instead you chose to come on vacation during a record breaking storm which was forecast well ahead of time. Yeah there’s going to be disruptions. How did Texas handle the last big storm?

Quote Originally Posted by MashedPotatoes View Post
    Spur is open yay.

I will ski tomorrow and not impact South Lake one bit!

Chair 10 must have been awesome today. Anyone have a guess when is KW gonna open the backside?
    It should be open tomorrow but nobody can tell what staffing shortages will bring and Vail sure as hell won't admit to having any. I would have guessed 10 would be pretty damn good once you got amongst the rocks so you could see. if there are any rocks currently

It's easier to fly somewhere else. But more expensive. The idea is to get here and then you don't have to drive that much (on the south shore or if you're in OV). Giant snowstorms change everything. With resort closures all of a sudden you do have to drive if you want to ski. No taking the Gonji from your hotel any more. There's two sides of Tahoe. The south shore is infamous for horrendous traffic leaving Tahoe after busy periods but that's usually our main traffic problem. In general we don't have the daily problems of getting to the resort like the north shore has (along with getting there or back to the bay). Yesterday we were overwhelmed by the 80 closure and the massive amount of snow.

Where is it easier to drive to from the Bay area than Tahoe? Salt Lake is cool for flying into and driving to the mountains but Denver sucks IMO. There's other options but then the flights get even more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Was sitting at the bar in Truckee Tavern yesterday and there was a couple from Texas complaining that their vacation was ruined because we didn’t know how to ‘deal with snow’. Fuck off, you should have stayed home but instead you chose to come on vacation during a record breaking storm which was forecast well ahead of time. Yeah there’s going to be disruptions. How did Texas handle the last big storm?
    Those are all great points except they most likely booked their vacation well before any hint of a storm was on the horizon. And as the storm approaches what would you do. I know I definitely would just get more and more excited. But yeah their response about dealing with the storm is BS.

KT and Red Dog were fun yesterday at OV (but man, huge ass lines). It didn't ski as deep in the open areas, wind got to the snow for sure but the trees were deep. 3+ minutes of the fun with my older son:

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Those are all great points except they most likely booked their vacation well before any hint of a storm was on the horizon. And as the storm approaches what would you do. I know I definitely would just get more and more excited. But yeah their response about dealing with the storm is BS.
    Yeah, it’s the bitching about people that gets me. Bitch about the weather if you want, but everyone is working their ass off to try and keep things going/get things open

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post

Where is it easier to drive to from the Bay area than Tahoe? Salt Lake is cool for flying into and driving to the mountains but Denver sucks IMO. There's other options but then the flights get even more expensive.
    Shasta and China Peak are two places that are much closer than a 10 hour drive to Tahoe.

Yer kidding right? Shasta has all 3 of their lifts operating. Yay.
    China Peak is almost an actual mountain but is at capacity with the Fresno/Bakersfield crowd

Fact is very few to no bay area folks are going to plan their christmases there. It's 4 hours to Tahoe in good weather, 10 in extreme conditions. When that goes up so do all the other drives. Do you think folks just got into their Ford Fusions and drove to China Peak with no issues?

More stoke, less whining

Name:  IMG_9749 copy.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  166.7 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9750 copy.jpeg 
Views:	178 
Size:	174.4 KB 
ID:	398766Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9751.jpeg 
Views:	174 
Size:	198.4 KB 
ID:	398767

Gondi popped today. Rode up with a couple who drove 11 hours from San Jose to ski.

Name:	Image1640831048.026919.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	952.6 KB 
ID:	398769

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Amen.
    You'd think this was the worst December ever.

Don’t worry be happy

Name:	61F6E85B-9372-47CE-9F14-6D28FAEC115A.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	427.0 KB 
ID:	398770

Name:	268254D8-2252-4B7C-97B7-2DA7673AF166.jpeg 
Views:	116 
Size:	515.9 KB 
ID:	398771

Name:	03807646-AE3B-410D-ACAA-9D7ABA1D6D5E.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	606.5 KB 
ID:	398772

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    https://unofficialnetworks.com/2021/...rsion-rescued/
    If this hasn’t been posted yet check it out on Unofficial Networks. Big send to full burial. Thank god for friends.
    That is super gnarly. Reminds me of the poster who hucked the big rock off of 10 years and years ago. And thankfully didn't get buried. If I recall there was only a still of him in mid air. If only gopros existed back then. Actually wait a minute...

Can't post or uplink but visibility was quite good in Eagle near the Nose this afternoon. Mostly shin deep, but a few pockets. From the short clip of my buddy I saw. They liked it better than yesterday, which sounded like there was a touch of a wind crust to bust through and heavier to push around.

Been raining lightly all day off and on. Past few hours it has picked up to a steady moderate plus. .36" over the last three hours. Almost and inch for the day in my neighborhood. Want to load the powder skis, but need to wait for a break in the rain.