Page 18 of 126 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    I'm just starting it too, but I'm gonna go ahead and say you should watch this
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I see that Old 40 is closed from lake to pass--Unsafe Conditions--until Nov. 12. I assume because of that washout? Hope it's open before SB opens.

Hhhmmm, I dunno, I thought it was decent. Even found sections of early corn.

Yesterday:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1636237958.349653.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	774.7 KB 
ID:	391846

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

thanks
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I think I saw those guys heading out in boots and gaiters. Selection bias. They picked the best route for the tools they had. Yea, Frog lake is burnt out.

Gaiters? Oh dear.

They shoulda been in crocs!

Is anyone still renting bikes in north lake?

Friends are headed up this coming weekend, and if the Palisades Tahoe lifts don't spin, they are looking for something to do. Figured some trails would be in good shape, but the older kid does not have a bike that fits and wants to rent.

I bet The Backcountry would help you out

Backcountry still had bikes on racks outside last weekend. Sports hub is a good bet too.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Piece in the Sierra Sun about why all the power outages this summer and fall. Apparently the devices that automatically turn the power off if a line is tripped off by a transient event like a branch hitting a line are turned off during fire season. Every time a line is tripped off it has to be inspected end to end, if I'm understanding.
    https://www.sierrasun.com/news/utili...ecent-outages/

Sounds similar to the problem PGE is having with the state re unplanned outages. Not sure if it's the same.

Mt.Rose is firing up its snowmaking.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Question for anyone who has been on an international ski trip recently, and then flown into San Fran to connect domestically (Reno or elsewhere).

At SFO customs, do you have to grab your bags (ski bags/oversized as well) and re-check them?

Context:

I have a round trip flight originally from Denver to Switzerland and back, that costs a bunch to cancel/change the San Fran - Denver leg, but I want to ultimately get back to Reno. Seems like the best option is just to bail on the final leg in san fran, and hop a different flight from SFO to Reno (minimal cost to just purchase a one way). I just want to make sure that I can be in possession of my stuff, and not have it end up lost in Colorado.

As your first port of entry into the USA you'll have to go through immigration and then collect all your stuff and go through customs, after which you would normally drop it off again with your airline for the last leg. Yeah, you could just walk out and check in for your other flight, but the airlines don't like when you drop off one of the legs in your itinerary. Most likely nothing bad will happen, I don't know if they'll do anything at all or even mention it.

The only caveat is that I haven't flown from Switzerland into the USA. From certain airports, like Dublin, you go through immigration at the origin airport and then you land at a regular domestic terminal in the USA. If Switzerland is like this then you won't see your luggage in San Francisco.

Quote Originally Posted by Fofo View Post
    As your first port of entry into the USA you'll have to go through immigration and then collect all your stuff and go through customs, after which you would normally drop it off again with your airline for the last leg. Yeah, you could just walk out and check in for your other flight, but the airlines don't like when you drop off one of the legs in your itinerary. Most likely nothing bad will happen, I don't know if they'll do anything at all or even mention it.

The only caveat is that I haven't flown from Switzerland into the USA. From certain airports, like Dublin, you go through immigration at the origin airport and then you land at a regular domestic terminal in the USA. If Switzerland is like this then you won't see your luggage in San Francisco.
    No US customs in Geneva. (I can't answer Wobby's question--I've always driven to and from SFO for international ski trips.) I don't recall seeing US customs at any airport in Europe, but I've never flown out of Dublin. I've seen US Homeland Security in several European airports--not sure which branch--who checked ID's and passports, but still had to take luggage through customs in the US. I've never flown from Europe direct to a US domestic terminal.

fucking kids these days
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

There's US customs preclearance overseas, mostly Canada and Ireland:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/preclearance
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    fucking kids these days
    I am entertained
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

winning

fucking kids these days
    I dig that he was at Thunder Mountain in the intro...
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Just a community FYI if anyone sees any of it - I had my avy airbag stolen out of my truck in Reno early yesterday morning. Black Diamond jet force tour, with a green smith helmet, bd guide probe and ortovox shovel. I know we got tons of gear perusers on her so if you see something say something…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by sruffian View Post
    Just a community FYI if anyone sees any of it - I had my avy airbag stolen out of my truck in Reno early yesterday morning. Black Diamond jet force tour, with a green smith helmet, bd guide probe and ortovox shovel. I know we got tons of gear perusers on her so if you see something say something…

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Bummer.
    Will keep an eye out in Truckee.

Hey, if you need a helmet, lemme know.
    I have 2 new ones gathering dust.
    Both are M (55-58).
    POC Spin or K2 Thrive
    Happy to hook you up, just PM me.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

fucking kids these days
    Haha, I called out Gaff inside Gold Coast one time. He gave me the same excuse, "I'm not even a pro!"

Let's see...

Made a career out of skiing... check
    Gets gear and season passes for free... check
    Has appeared in ski films... check
    Skis better than me... check

You're a pro, bro. And I'm so much better than you. Excellent edit.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Rentals / lodging

Tahoe Sports Hub in Truckee also does ski rentals. Just got fitted for boots there, thanks for the recommendation for Bob. Cosmos corroborated the recommendation for Bob. Basic skis for $150/season w/o boots or $200/season w/ boots currently. Prices might increase.

Is it kosher to ask for lodging tips here? Wife & I are looking to stay frugally near Alpine Meadows for ~13+ days in Dec. We have a camping pad, so floor space w/ kitchen access might work. I know housing is tight.
    Last edited by skirider; 11-09-2021 at 12:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skirider View Post
    Tahoe Sports Hub in Truckee also does ski rentals...
    What a shocker!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using TGR Forums mobile app

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...