Page 110 of 126 FirstFirst ... 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 ... LastLast
Results 2,726 to 2,750 of 3140
    Hey, it wouldn't be ID without some bone headed silliness.

.... assuming it was sometime over the holiday weekend after failing to read article.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Hey, it wouldn't be Tahoe without some bone headed silliness.

FIFY

It's always hard to get a good story out of someone when they just almost died ...
    They got lost going cross country down from the Shirley canyon slabs. They we're egging each other on ( not just 20yo men do that, 75yo women too!). They got into a very sketchy spot, and easily could have died. Essentially they slid out of control halfway down the Sluceway and stoped, held onto a stump, and called for help. The rock there is glacier polished in spots with lots of loose sand and rock fall potential.
    Pic one just as we were locating the lady's just before sunset, 8:30pm.
    Pic two walking down the tram road about 1:30am.

Sent from my BE2015 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. Getting into that trouble on the way down I can understand. What's the Sluiceway?

Quote Originally Posted by Mokomahonah View Post
    It's always hard to get a good story out of someone when they just almost died ...
    They got lost going cross country down from the Shirley canyon slabs. They we're egging each other on ( not just 20yo men do that, 75yo women too!). They got into a very sketchy spot, and easily could have died. Essentially they slid out of control halfway down the Sluceway and stoped, held onto a stump, and called for help. The rock there is glacier polished in spots with lots of loose sand and rock fall potential.

TNSAR for the win! Thanks for being out there!

Rob Gaffney posted up an extended forbidden chapter of S*uallywood a few years back with a bunch more lines lookers right of the tram chute. If anyone has it and can post up.

Sluceway is a 15ish ft wide chimney in the rocks.

https://snowbrains.com/video-shane-m...gal-tram-face/

They were on the bench lookers left near the trees just before he really commits into it.

Wow! Good on ya for helping out some of my fellow gezers/gezerettes. What OG said about down hill; often much harder/dangerous than the uphill.

Rob Gaffney posted up an extended forbidden chapter of S*uallywood a few years back with a bunch more lines lookers right of the tram chute. If anyone has it and can post up.

Sluceway is a 15ish ft wide chimney in the rocks.

https://snowbrains.com/video-shane-m...gal-tram-face/

They were on the bench lookers left near the trees just before he really commits into it.

If I hadn't made some unbelievably dumb routefinding mistakes myself I might have a hard time figuring out how someone could wind up there descending Shirley Canyon. It's funny the tricks your mind can play on you when you're off route but haven't figured it out yet. Confirmation bias. (I live at the world's most famous example of the consequences of getting lost.)

22 Blue - Looking ahead to the New (aka Fuck Summer (aka Tahoe Thread))

did you know that you can get lost coming out from the Peter Grubb Hut in a whiteout and miss Castle Pass and go over another “pass” and then just go for miles in the wrong direction following the wrong drainage and spend an extra night out and get picked up by a CHP helicopter the next day?

ask me how I know that….

it’s actually not uncommon - Randall O told me it was actually quite popular

edited to add:

just for context - that was 30 years ago

I was 23 and that was my first solo overnight tour and I brought a bag and bivy and stove and shit to Peter Grubb Hut

so I was super prepared - but I got lost and I got myself way more lost by just going and going

when I saw the helicopter I knew it was for me
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 07-05-2022 at 08:41 PM.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Evacuation area for #electrafire keeps growing. Guessing SLT will get some smoke tomorrow.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

And smoke is here. Stoked to kick off the Purple Air monitor season thanks to some fine citizens who started a fire celebrating the 4th!

It seems likely whomever started it was also stuck in the powerhouse with the rest of the trapped folks. That must have been weird.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    It seems likely whomever started it was also stuck in the powerhouse with the rest of the trapped folks. That must have been weird.
    Yeah I thought that too. Awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    did you know that you can get lost coming out from the Peter Grubb Hut in a whiteout and miss Castle Pass and go over another “pass” and then just go for miles in the wrong direction following the wrong drainage and spend an extra night out and get picked up by a CHP helicopter the next day?

ask me how I know that….

it’s actually not uncommon - Randall O told me it was actually quite popular

edited to add:

just for context - that was 30 years ago

I was 23 and that was my first solo overnight tour and I brought a bag and bivy and stove and shit to Peter Grubb Hut

so I was super prepared - but I got lost and I got myself way more lost by just going and going

when I saw the helicopter I knew it was for me
    I got mildly off route going over Castle Pass on a fine sunny day. I did manage to get myself straightened out pretty quickly by backtracking but I had to run to catch up to my friend who had gone the right way

Many, many years ago there was a father-son duo in sweatshirts and tennis shoes, in the Winter(!), that went down the wrong drainage from Peter Grub ........ Mikey??????

no I was solo and well prepared
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	784.0 KB 
ID:	420920

22 Blue - Looking ahead to the New (aka Fuck Summer (aka Tahoe Thread))

Yikes, pretty windy today too so fingers crossed. Mostly behind the airport and near legacy trail so far, I think a healthy distance from Glenshire (for now).
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Yikes, pretty windy today too so fingers crossed. Mostly behind the airport and near legacy trail so far, I think a healthy distance from Glenshire (for now).
    I drove past it 45 minutes ago. It’s about halfway between 267 and Glenshire, on the opposite side of the river from Glenshire dr. (same side as Glenshire). Was still just brush burning, not trees.

Wind is blowing more North, towards the, river than towards Glenshire. Smoke is still staying west of here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E0FCD00C-2DB3-4C2A-B732-25BADA4A910D.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	458.9 KB 
ID:	420928

https://twitter.com/cafirescanner/st...7awrMYFgzVXp7A

https://twitter.com/firis/status/154...7awrMYFgzVXp7A

Looks like they’re getting it under control. Much less smoke coming from the area than an hour ago.

It would be really shitty if the fire were to damage the TTSA facility. (Wastewater treatment for the entire Truckee-North Tahoe area.) OTOH if you're going to have a fire, next to an airport is convenient. Pretty close to where Truckee stores its bulldozer too.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    It would be really shitty if the fire were to damage the TTSA facility. (Wastewater treatment….
    No pun intended?

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    No pun intended?
    Huh? Of course pun intended.
    They lifted the evacuation order for the eastern 2/3 of the zone. Nobody lives out there--mostly govt type maintenance and storage facilities facilities. Every time I get stuck behind a dump truck when I'm headed to the Roundhouse that's the direction the dump truck goes.

Correction--they lifted the evacuation order for the western 1/3
    Last edited by old goat; 07-08-2022 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post

ask me how I know that….
    Heh. Seems like numerous times I've descended Andesite and have gotten convinced I was heading towards the trailhead, when in fact (as I've generally verified quickly once I stopped and pulled out a compass/map, or more recently a digital map) I've tended to be a little or a lot further around to the west.

Glad to hear that idiot's fire near Glenshire is under control.

I'm hearing rumors of a female arsonist who started multiple fires being arrested for that Joger Dr fire????