Page 68 of 126 FirstFirst ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 3140

22 Blue - Looking ahead to the New (aka Fuck Summer (aka Tahoe Thread))

shit happens
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    People already booked their vacations / rentals a long time ago. It will still be an absolute shit show. That was the case in drought years past as well.
    As a tourist who just experienced MLK weekend there, I'll just say, good luck.

Big article in the Sacramento Bee today about the effect of climate change on the Sierra snow pack and the ski industry. I strongly advise not reading it.

Maybe it will make them all go away. My money is on the other though. Really afraid of solar minimum and global cooling /mini ice age like the Maunder minimum. Or worse Volcanic event that creates a year without summer. Food prices are already up and we have a shortage of fertilizer. Would be a perfect event and leave us all devastated.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Big article in the Sacramento Bee today about the effect of climate change on the Sierra snow pack and the ski industry. I strongly advise not reading it.
    I’ve heard Scotland will become the land of many powder days. I like Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Starting to notice a new trend with new-in-towns who were complaining about plowing a month ago: extreme concern about the length of the dry spell. Like, was that it? Is winter over? Do we need to move somewhere it actually snows? Welcome to the Sierra, bish. We get feast and famine and stay fed one way or the other.
    Yep.
    ((. The joy I get from skiing...
    .))
    ((. That's worth living for.
    .))

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    ... Not sure why they close the upper steeps of Red Dog & Resort Chair when its some of the most sun-protected, still wintery zones on the mountain. I did a few laps in the steeps of Red Dog from the legal entrance and was pleasantly surprised how the snow skied the same as 2-3 weeks ago. Still enough out there to stay entertained.
    Speaking with a Squaw patroller on January 26th (the day of the accident), he said "don't expect any steep terrain to be open for awhile."

I agree the snow is still pretty great in a lot of consequential places right now.

I also can't argue with closing some terrain in light of recent tragedies.
    Still waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by jahroy View Post
    Speaking with a Squaw patroller on January 26th (the day of the accident), he said "don't expect any steep terrain to be open for awhile."

I agree the snow is still pretty great in a lot of consequential places right now.

What were the recent tragedies? Did a quick search but didn't see anything.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The NYT ran a whole thing about global warming, oh, what was it, four to five years ago, and used some really depressing pictures from the Dolomites in one of their worst seasons ever, a place that has fairly extreme ups and downs. Well, since then, it's been fine. As a matter of fact, last season, when they were shut down, was one of the better ones. Ironic.

That's not to say California has it's long term problems. Good luck with that.

Is it wrong that I don’t want to start paying for Open Snow until one of the daily snow snippets I get in my email mentions the possibility of snow? Is this giving them the wrong incentive?

Quote Originally Posted by jahroy View Post

Patrol won't open terrain they are not comfortable/able to carry your busted up ass out of on a toboggan.
    They/you may be able to ski it, that doesn't mean they can transport out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    Is it wrong that I don’t want to start paying for Open Snow until one of the daily snow snippets I get in my email mentions the possibility of snow? Is this giving them the wrong incentive?
    is it wrong that I don't want to pay for Open Snow at all? $30/yr to read a weather blog that I would only use 4 months out of the year when it doesn't even snow anymore anyway? I think they got greedy..

Quote Originally Posted by MashedPotatoes View Post
    is it wrong that I don't want to pay for Open Snow at all? $30/yr to read a weather blog that I would only use 4 months out of the year when it doesn't even snow anymore anyway? I think they got greedy..
    Ugh. For some reason had it in my mind that it was $10. $30 is much harder to swallow.

You can pretty easily split a $40 family membership with 4 friends for $10 a piece.

That being said, I've found the free Windy app to be nearly as good (unless you read open snow for their high quality writing). If I need to nerd out on things TropicalTidbits and the NWS snow and avalanche info snow level forecast do the job.

Ugh. For some reason had it in my mind that it was $10. $30 is much harder to swallow.

I had this in my mind too from mid-December.. I might have paid $10. I went and looked last month after the trial ended and it was suddenly $30, no way.

Can't we just extrapolate on his FREE Palisades at Tahoe daily updates?

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    Patrol won't open terrain they are not comfortable/able to carry your busted up ass out of on a toboggan.
    They/you may be able to ski it, that doesn't mean they can transport out of it.
    It's not just steep terrain. During low snow conditions Beaver and Estelle have been closed due to too much brush to toboggan through lower down. It's not like patrol is eager to close stuff. I've seen patrol with mattocks chopping out the Beaver traverse when it was too icy to negotiate otherwise. Patrol takes pride in the steep terrain at their mountains and wants to see it open.

Quote Originally Posted by NakedShorts View Post
    Can't we just extrapolate on his FREE Palisades at Tahoe daily updates?
    Or just look at NOAA and weather.com- it’s not that hard to figure out when it will be a pow day. Don’t really need to pay for it.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

yeah I do not understand people paying for weather

fkn dumb
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Wait a minute ..... exactly how much are they charging for a 15" dump, no wind and temps in the low 20s??

Anyone using T-Mobile in Tahoe City and the surrounding resorts (with an iPhone) ? Need to change the wife’s phone and carrier but am wary of service area there

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Or just look at NOAA and weather.com- it’s not that hard to figure out when it will be a pow day. Don’t really need to pay for it.
    Dude, what is this ? The 90s? Do we look like we live in caves without info like that spoonfed to us?!?!

I don't use opensnow for actual planning, but it's nice to see the WAGs for mid- and long-term forecasts, plus snow totals for a variety of locations and elevations all in one place. Easily worth $10/year, but yeah the free stuff is all you really need.

I worry that Windy may cease to be free as it gets better / more popular

Quote Originally Posted by bonewrenched View Post
    I don't use opensnow for actual planning, but it's nice to see the WAGs for mid- and long-term forecasts, plus snow totals for a variety of locations and elevations all in one place. Easily worth $10/year, but yeah the free stuff is all you really need.

I worry that Windy may cease to be free as it gets better / more popular
    Sure, it’s always nice to see the WAGs:

Name:  A0B19E32-BA1E-4370-A62A-AF0956866C7F.jpeg
Views: 546
Size:  98.7 KB

But what does that have to do with how the mountains are going to ski?

Used lacrosse gear?

Looking for kids lacrosse equipment for my son (U8). Anyone have stuff in their garage they want to sell?