Page 3 of 126 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    There is zero, and I mean zero, gondola base built at Squ-alympic Valley. They would have to move the Red Dog base to make room. That hasn't even happened yet.

Ain't happening for this winter.
    They're probably using the same crew and equipment to do each base so they can't be done simultaneously.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by gone2alpine View Post
    Wow, there's a lot to take in here. I wonder if that temporary wall by the deck stairs is going to remain in place over the winter? Also... new location for the little magic carpet? Or are they just scrapping it I wonder?

It looks like a shit show at the moment but I'll reserve judgement until they're actually finished. I know you hate the gondola but I'm looking forward to using it since I do a lot of mornings at Alpine and often want to meet up with friends at Squ-Olympic Valley after a bit. Or friends who have kids on teams on that side can come over to Alpine for a few hours.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

What a junk show and They’re working on borrowed weather time now too. Yikes. Wirthless is right

22 Blue - Looking ahead to the New (aka Fuck Summer (aka Tahoe Thread))

Nothing that a few big tarps, sandbags, straw waddles, and 20’ razor wire cyclone fence can’t solve.

Anybody remember when that condo complex sat at kirkwood partially finished for a winter or three? At least it was across the street from the lifts.

22 Blue - Looking ahead to the New (aka Fuck Summer (aka Tahoe Thread))

The sign is still there, along with these new ones in Humboldt Toiyabe
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1269.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	219.6 KB 
ID:	389172

Name:	IMG_1270.JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	212.7 KB 
ID:	389173

The parking lot is pretty much full however

from KW FB

WINTER UPDATE: We are happy to share that the U.S. Forest Service has updated the fire closure footprint of the Eldorado National Forest order, and the closure area no longer includes Kirkwood Mountain Resort. With this news, Kirkwood is continuing to prepare to open for the winter season on our anticipated opening day of Friday, December 3, weather and conditions permitting. We are grateful for the ongoing efforts of the USFS, Cal Fire and all of the local firefighting teams to keep our community safe, as well as the tremendous support of our guests, employees, and community members.

This winter will take on new meaning as we return to the mountain for our first turns. We can’t wait to welcome you all back to Kirkwood this year for another memorable season of skiing and riding. #KirkwoodKind
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Forest Service lifts Lake Tahoe backcountry closure early

SOUTH LAKE TAHOE, Calif., Oct. 15, 2021 – The USDA Forest Service Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit (LTBMU) Backcountry Closure Order (19-21-07), which temporarily closed Desolation Wilderness, Meiss Country and focused access corridors along the West Shore during the Caldor Fire, is lifted effective today, Oct. 15, 2021. Read the news release at https://go.usa.gov/xMFZK.

Is it possible that the FS hasn't gotten around to taking down the closed signs? I can't imagine that's high on their priority list. I would think that if the bulletin and maps shows an area open you can enter. Or not. Why don't you give it a try PD, and we'll do a GoFundMe for your bail.

from LTBMU

It has been brought to our attention that someone is tearing down Caldor Fire closure signs in Christmas Valley. PLEASE DO NOT REMOVE THESE SIGNS!! The LTBMU Caldor Fire emergency closure order is still in effect and can be viewed at https://go.usa.gov/xM9Jy.

Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

NOAA says La Nina.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Is it possible that the FS hasn't gotten around to taking down the closed signs? I can't imagine that's high on their priority list. I would think that if the bulletin and maps shows an area open you can enter. Or not. Why don't you give it a try PD, and we'll do a GoFundMe for your bail.
    Yeah I figured that was a possibility. And everyone there was acting like it was open. It has been deserted of late prior to today. Still, countless FS pickups drove by there today. They also use the facilities there as well.

More importantly though, none of the signs I pictured are in Eldorado Forest, nor does the road pictured lead to Eldorado Forest or any trails that access Eldorado Forest. It's all Humboldt Toiyabe, and not within the Scott's Lake Closure, which is where I was going.

Hell yeah stoked for the new season. Unfortunately it's always accompanied by a reduction in restful sleeping hours as I lay awake thinking about skiing instead...

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    What a junk show and They’re working on borrowed weather time now too. Yikes. Wirthless is right
    I thought Wirth was gone years ago. I believe Casey Blann is running the circus now. Amazing to think that no one will have to have any repercussions on the management of this. A bunch of workers will have to slug it out into the winter to get stuff ready, and executives will just be cozy on their office raking it in. If I were a betting man, I’d put my money on permits being late. It’s almost always the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

My only point in bringing up Wirthless is that the ganjola was his monument to himself, hence my thought that the lift should be renamed Andy's Albatross. Last I heard, Casey was "in charge" of the project, but that was before construction began.
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

"Permits late" is double talk for we had to change a bad plan so many times it no longer meets the legal agreed upon description. They had a permit to do all of this in one year. Now they will take two. Doubling the staff time.

Wirthless is right. What a corporate scumbag.

Maybe I'm just grumpy this am...

Sent from my 5007Z using Tapatalk

Wirth has been gone for over 3 years now... pretty sure any timing or permit screwups have nothing to do with him.

Permits, contracting agreements and contingencies, etc. 3 year gone, he was very likely involved in setting the project.

Since no one else seems willing to jinx us, i'll go ahead. Starting today.
    The forecast for the next 10 days is one of the most active I can remember for October since 2016.

Usually the first part of November is a huge cock tease, so I just booked a trip to Hawaii. You're welcome - it's going to dump now and the season will start early.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Usually the first part of November is a huge cock tease, so I just booked a trip to Hawaii. You're welcome - it's going to dump now and the season will start early.
    Atta boy.
    I should service my blower then too.
    Deck furniture will be out till thanksgiving for sure...
    And I'll leave the top off the fj40.

FREE GROM STUFF and moar!

AVAILABLE 20" bike for kids or hobbits, good condition, everything works as intended. 1 X 7 gears, vee brakes.

Name:	IMG_1469.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	389330

Name:	IMG_1471.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	389331

[10/18 Handed off to Mr. Hankey] 24" bike for kids or midgets, good condition, everything works. 2 X 6 gears, vee brakes.

[10/18 Dibs to LightRanger] 130 cm kid skis, good condition. Also have 40" poles.

AVAILABLE 110 cm kid skis, good condition. Also have 36" poles.

Name:	IMG_E1476.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	389332

Price per item: ALL ITEMS FREE FOR THE MAGGOT COLLECTIVE, but a donation to the Sierra Avalanche Center would def be super cool. Also, tips of Belgian Beer (trappist style, not lambics) gratefully accepted.

[10/17 - Reserved for Frorider] And since I'm a DT Swiss fanboi now, this Chris King hub service tool is also looking for a new home. Come and get it for the low price of zero dollars.

Name:	IMG_1475.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	389333

PM me if interested in any of the above.

ADDITIONAL STUF ADDED 10/18/21:

AVAILABLE Kids boots size 21.5, liners and soles in good shape (the above 110 Volkl ski bindings are adjusted to fit these boots.) My daughter used these when she was 8 or 9ish.

Name:	IMG_E1493.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	389477

Name:	IMG_E1492.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	389478

AVAILABLE Mammut / Barryvox Element w/ harness. The good: never been used. The bad: it's pretty old. The moar bad: this dumbshit left some batteries in the unit that leaked and corroded the contacts. Prolly a fairly simple fix if you're up for it. Maybe fix it and use it as a spare or for a noob or for your asshole friend that always forgets they shit.

Name:	IMG_E1483.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	389479

Name:	IMG_E1484.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	389480

Name:	IMG_E1481.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	389482

Name:	IMG_1482.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	811.5 KB 
ID:	389483

Last, but not least, the final chunk of offal for the maggots tonite:

AVAILABLE Rossi FKS 14 in good condition. I used them for a few seasons on my Lhasa 191's before switching to Barons. The brakes will clear 112mm waists. Best alpine bindings I ever owned, but I opted for the Barons for their ability to climb and accommodate AT boot soles.

Name:	IMG_1485.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	389484

Name:	IMG_1486.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	943.0 KB 
ID:	389492

Name:	IMG_1489.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	940.8 KB 
ID:	389493

All this stuf is free for the maggot collective so shoot a pm if interested in anything available and i'll get back to you eventually...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1493.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	994.8 KB 
ID:	389476   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1468.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	2.16 MB 
ID:	389328   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1467.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	2.20 MB 
ID:	389329  
    Last edited by parkmeister; 10-20-2021 at 06:19 PM.
    51% smartass, 49% dumbass

Still seeing stars in north lake despite wunderground's insistence that snow started at 8.

I also planned to leave town the first week of November... and it looks like it's working.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Webcams at the International Ski Resort look radical right now...

it's been raining lightly--just saw a few wet flakes. Nothing to write home about, and anyway, I'm already home.