Page 2 of 126 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Not DJSapp View Post
    Ugh. Got the bad news email from Sierra @ Tahoe. If you hold on, you can ride everything this year and next, and they'll give you $50 back on your already cheap pass. Reading between the lines, I'm guessing they won't be able to open the top this year.

So, ikon or epic? I got a place to stay at squaw, is the traffic on 80 really that bad every weekend? We're normally day tripping weekend warriors from the valley, but the kids are getting older and had nearly outgrown S@T anyway. I don't know if I can go back to Vailcorp's Kirkwood. They broke my heart when they became the last to open and the first to close on the regular.
    If you go at the obvious times like Friday evening and late Sunday afternoon, yes, the traffic on 80 is pretty bad. I know a lot of people who just have their kids take a half day on Friday so they can get ahead of the rush and/or skip school Monday. The other method is to just go up really late Friday after the rush, and leave later on Sunday as well (wait until like 7pm in both cases).
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

I'm a huge fan of the 4-5am Sat morning departure (weather dependent). Pretty consistently around a 3:15-3:30 drive from south bay to SquAlpine in good weather. Going back is a crapshoot no matter the time from what I have found. Friday afternoon drive up is soul crushing in the best of times.

Quote Originally Posted by davjr96 View Post
    I'm a huge fan of the 4-5am Sat morning departure (weather dependent). Pretty consistently around a 3:15-3:30 drive from south bay to SquAlpine in good weather. Going back is a crapshoot no matter the time from what I have found. Friday afternoon drive up is soul crushing in the best of times.
    This.

Never leave the Bay between noon and 6:00 on Friday. You're asking for a long afternoon and evening. If it's snowing, plan on 7-8 hours. If it's not snowing, we used to leave SF at 6:30, and found that was after rush hour and made for a quick blast up.

If it's snowing, Saturday morning balls early is the way to go.

Sunday, have dinner, relax, leave at 7:00 - you're golden. Leaving "early" (anytime between 12-4) is fool's gold. Don't do it.

Welcome to Norf Lake, Not DJ!!

ETA: this is for Jan-Feb. Thankfully, this doesn't really apply in Dec or after mid-March, when everyone forgets about skiing and there's two-plus months of skiing at OH! Valley before closing day...

***Thanks for the new thread powdork***

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    sproing!

I wonder if any of the other resorts will offer discounts or discounted passes for SatT passholders?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I wonder if any of the other resorts will offer discounts or discounted passes for SatT passholders?
    Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I could see them possibly offering their earlier season rates with proof of sierra pass.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I wonder what the impact will be for the other mountains with many/most S@T passholders switching mountains this season. Guessing that Heavenly and Kirkwood will be busier than normal -- maybe a lot busier -- as the South Lake locals switch over. Unlike Sugar Bowl, Vail isn't going to cap pass sales.

Quote Originally Posted by chickendance View Post
    I wonder what the impact will be for the other mountains with many/most S@T passholders switching mountains this season. Guessing that Heavenly and Kirkwood will be busier than normal -- maybe a lot busier -- as the South Lake locals switch over. Unlike Sugar Bowl, Vail isn't going to cap pass sales.
    The limited pass sales are the primary reason I picked Sugarbowl over Epic. Read Vail sold 40% more passes this year vs last. Add s@t refugees…solid shit show potential.

With a 42% increase in Epic pass sales before this, Heavenly is going to be an absolute shit show.

On another note, figured since a lot of people around here know Splat, worth posting in this thread: https://www.gofundme.com/f/helping-h...-a-maggot-down
    Last edited by TahoeJ; 10-14-2021 at 02:38 PM.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Go to kirkwood! But remember to not low-suck the traverses.

Is sugarbowl limiting day tix sales or just the # of season passes?

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Welcome to Norf Lake, Not DJ!!

ETA: this is for Jan-Feb. Thankfully, this doesn't really apply in Dec or after mid-March, when everyone forgets about skiing and there's two-plus months of skiing at OH! Valley before closing day...
    I haven't pulled the trigger yet. With a 11 year old and a 8 year old, spring skiing is where it's at. They don't love storm skiing yet, but staying open until Memorial day on the regular is definitely a plus

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Go to kirkwood! But remember to not low-suck the traverses.
    I gave up on Kirkwood: by Vailcorp in 2015-16 I think. It was the droughtbuster year and they had a fuckton of snow in April. Vail closed them down early and told us to go enjoy the Heave. Fuck that, KW in the spring is the best in Tahoe. I actually wrote Vail a letter telling them they're pieces of shit and they're burning a bridge with a 15 year passholder. Haven't been back since. I don't want to back down on it, but I'm torn between the evil of Vail and the 80 traffic jam.

It has been a while, but I'm one of the old school KW traverse linebackers. I think I can remember how to knock gapers off the line going to Palisades.
    Wait, how can we trust this guy^^^ He's clearly not DJSapp

Mountain biking is super right now. That said, we really need a few inches of snow on the ground so we can do Rx burns. So remember not to look at the GFS too much!
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Thankfully, this doesn't really apply in Dec or after mid-March, when everyone forgets about skiing and there's two-plus months of skiing at OH! Valley before closing day...

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    That is when I ski north lake, or until the passes open and Mammoth is only a few hours further away.

Kirkwood can't get much busier, with its parking. Maybe you'll juts need to arrive earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    With a 42% increase in Epic pass sales before this, Heavenly is going to be an absolute shit show.

On another note, figured since a lot of people around here know Splat, worth posting in this thread: https://www.gofundme.com/f/helping-h...-a-maggot-down
    And while we all know it is going to change?, Kirkwood is still officially closed until 3/22/22

Thanks for posting that gofundme. I know Splat would help any of us if he could.

22 Blue - Looking ahead to the New (aka Fuck Summer (aka Tahoe Thread))

More of the el dorado forest opened back up which includes kirkwood

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...17doI5-hJiPq6E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TahoeBC; 10-15-2021 at 08:57 AM.

22 Blue - Looking ahead to the New (aka Fuck Summer (aka Tahoe Thread))

That seems to be very close to, if not the fire's footprint. Still waiting on LTBMU and Humboldt Toiyabe. They've even lifted fire restrictions within the forest, but the Scotts Lake closure remains in effect. It will be interesting to see what they do with the parking at Carson Pass. According to the map it should be available on the south side of the road, but not the north. I'm willing to bet this sign will still be there.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1066.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	659.6 KB 
ID:	389112

I'm pretty sure they reopened the forest because they felt the relentless pressure of one noble vigilante who tore down some signs and made a bunch of noise on the internet about "government overreach." Without that essential work our recreation areas would certainly remain closed indefinitely.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Has anyone heard that employee housing at Kirkwood burned in a wild bender party?
    We're not happy 'til you're not happy.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    I'm pretty sure they reopened the forest because they felt the relentless pressure of one noble vigilante who tore down some signs and made a bunch of noise on the internet about "government overreach." Without that essential work our recreation areas would certainly remain closed indefinitely.
    Do you think I was the only one complaining? Do you think it was only because I care about this one particular closure? This is as much about the future closures. They have one of these now, and they need to know people will be unhappy when it gets used. Look at the Humboldt toiyabe closure. When they announced it was coming up they said it was to support air operations, since they were sucking water and retardant up from portable tanks at the Scott Road pulloff. Despite the fact that there is an open road (Hwy 88) within 400 yards of the operation and running parrallel to the closure, they closed the forest that was 6 miles from the air operation and a total area of about 10 square miles. That air operation ended, and all the tanks and machinery were removed over a week ago. The closure remains in effect. I understand you don't have a problem with that. If it was powderhouse and you couldn't make your 5 laps maybe then you would care?
    Name:  close-easy.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  111.1 KB

This enhanced quasi-geostrophic ascent may promote better potential for showers.
    is that latin for sleeper pow day?

Looking at this photo from Schralpine Ghettos yesterday, it makes you wonder how the hell they're gonna get things put together before the season begins. No way the ganjola finishes anytime soon...but just getting the base area functional and safe for public access is going to be a challenge.

And don't get me started on those fucking towers marching across the parking lot and in front of America's ski lodge. Fuck you Andy Wirthless, you fucking fuckwad.

Name:	img_0981.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	547.0 KB 
ID:	389115
    Fuck those fucking motherfuckers!

http://www.unofficialalpine.com

Is that gondola going to load indoors or outdoors?

Looking forward to skiing squaw a bunch this season and dreading the standard traffic/lodging/crowds junkshow that comes with being on the north side of the lake. This season also has the added bonus of being the first in years where I don't have a season long ski lease as the real estate junkshow resulted in tons of rental houses getting sold and I refuse (and can't afford) to fully pay off someone's yearly mortgage in a 5 month rental period. I'm not looking forward to going back to my high school days of getting really good at day trips but such is life.

Fingers crossed for a big winter and a long spring!
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Quote Originally Posted by gone2alpine View Post
    Looking at this photo from Schralpine Ghettos yesterday, it makes you wonder how the hell they're gonna get things put together before the season begins. No way the ganjola finishes anytime soon...but just getting the base area functional and safe for public access is going to be a challenge.

And don't get me started on those fucking towers marching across the parking lot and in front of America's ski lodge. Fuck you Andy Wirthless, you fucking fuckwad.

Name:	img_0981.jpg 
Views:	349 
Size:	547.0 KB 
ID:	389115
    There is zero, and I mean zero, gondola base built at Squ-alympic Valley. They would have to move the Red Dog base to make room. That hasn't even happened yet.

Ain't happening for this winter.
    sproing!