Page 45 of 112 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,125 of 2790
    Yep, the old slippery slope.

They could jack up the price of a hamburger $1 more and probably give decent raises to all their patrollers.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Yep, the old slippery slope.

They could jack up the price of a hamburger $1 more and probably give decent raises to all their patrollers.
    Personally, I'm making it a point to not buy anymore overpriced hamburgers from Vail this season.

if we all stop buying their burgers they'll no longer make any money

no pics from this morning but that's about the most dense/creamy snow i've skied in the wasatch...ever. #notcomplaining

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    no pics from this morning but that's about the most dense/creamy snow i've skied in the wasatch...ever. #notcomplaining
    There has been a bunch of days like this in March/April. Probably the most dense for January though? Except the time it rained to the top of SB one year in January maybe 16+ years ago.

Might have to buy some Billy Goats if this keeps up.

Yesterday at snowbird was really fun, wind buffed cream cheese. Like being back on mt hood but with good terrain.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by fantastic_damage View Post
    Just doing a very rough estimate here. So $2 more an hour x 180 patrollers x 8 hours so roughly about $2880 more expense per day for Vail and they wont budge? These patrollers need to just strike already, this fucking corporation deserves 0 employees.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Ultimately the cost of a wage increase will be passed on to the consumer anyways...why not just put out a tip jar and be done with all this...haha.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    There has been a bunch of days like this in March/April. Probably the most dense for January though? Except the time it rained to the top of SB one year in January maybe 16+ years ago.

Might have to buy some Billy Goats if this keeps up.
    Definitely the wettest I've ever seen at this time of the year. The MLK rain event from a few years back reached higher elevation but today was definitely a rarity. Never seen pine trees weep like that. If it cools off fast the crust will be fucking with us for the rest of the season.
    Super fun skiing though, hard to get more than 2-3" penetration so even in low-snow areas you can haul some serious ass without worrying too much about clipping buried stuff. I took a buddy out who's visiting from Switzerland, warned him last night that it would be a very atypical Wasatch day and probably not that fun with dense snow and having to stick to lower angles. He was grinning like a kid in a candy store all day, said it was one of his best pow days ever. Easy to forget how spoiled we are living here...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Any SLC-area mags headed up to Bozeman/Big Sky in the next two weeks? Looking to grab a pair of sticks from Dshack and would like to spare us both from shipping. Your choice of compensation is included.
    swing your fucking sword.

We imported ice bergs to Cecret Lake today. Check em out.
    Xover, nothing significant in Sunspot.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Another cycle for the ages?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    Any SLC-area mags headed up to Bozeman/Big Sky in the next two weeks? Looking to grab a pair of sticks from Dshack and would like to spare us both from shipping. Your choice of compensation is included.
    I’m headed there Feb 20 for a week-ish if all else fails for next two weeks. That’s a ways out, I’m aware.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Morning in Soli didn't suck today. It got much warmer by noon

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    We imported ice bergs to Cecret Lake today. Check em out.
    Xover, nothing significant in Sunspot.
    ya i heard that was a real doozy. 15' crown? dios mios!

Sounds like a significant rime event today that shut down the bird tram too.

I skied mid BCC today and was *wishfully* thinking this last storm may have locked things up to around 8.5-9k like a mid winter rain in the PNW, but apparently, the additional weight just added fuel to the fire.

Stay safe out there, mags.
    Last edited by brutah; 01-06-2022 at 08:05 PM. Reason: wishful

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Another cycle for the ages?
    Yeah bud, some 50 year events and at least one 70?
    Loud long runners. Low alpha angles.
    Brutah 15 at the deepest? Solid 10 overall.
    These Sierresque storms on a weak pack are culprit.
    Is this the new norm?
    Maybe.
    Anybody else hear about a hudge natural in Silver Fork bout 6am?
    Nothing or everything lately, eh?
    Watch yer topknots fellers.
    Oh, and today did not suck.

fantastic day out at powmow with whyturn and SFB and friends (SHELDON!!!!)

skiing did not suck. super homogeneous, fun, snow, and practically no one out there.

special thanks to SFB for hooking it up and to whyturn for providing insider beta and showing me around. that place fucking rules!!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Yeah bud, some 50 year events and at least one 70?
    Loud long runners. Low alpha angles.
    Brutah 15 at the deepest? Solid 10 overall.
    These Sierresque storms on a weak pack are culprit.
    Is this the new norm?
    Maybe.
    Anybody else hear about a hudge natural in Silver Fork bout 6am?
    Nothing or everything lately, eh?
    Watch yer topknots fellers.
    Winter of 85-86, snowpack went from 40-120". Slide off of Sugarloaf crossed Secret lake and buried a skier on Devil's Elbow groomer. So...50 year event?
    With cool temperatures incoming could see the end of deep slab, giver 24-48 + hours. Skied right on the surface, almost no ski penetration today. Doubtful my 130 lbs was impacting buried weak layering.

Quote Originally Posted by wra View Post
    Winter of 85-86, snowpack went from 40-120". Slide off of Sugarloaf crossed Secret lake and buried a skier on Devil's Elbow groomer. So...50 year event?
    With cool temperatures incoming could see the end of deep slab, giver 24-48 + hours. Skied right on the surface, almost no ski penetration today. Doubtful my 130 lbs was impacting buried weak layering.
    Good memory. That 50 year event in '86 came outta the bowl, crossed the lake and into the groomer. It had the ability to make the groomer cause of where it originated; it ran differently than yesterday's 50 year event from the shoulder.
    How do I know it was a 50 year event?
    Cause Titus said he'd never seen anything like it in his time here. Almost 50 years...
    If these Sierresque storms become the norm methinks 50 year events will become more common.
    And become 10 year events...

That sure was some fun sand skiing yesterday, eh?

Edit to add: Totally agree about the upcoming cold temps and a little time for deep slab stability. Especially with the warm high density snow.
    Until the next sudden Sierresque load which seems to be the norm the last coupla weeks.
    If it comes soon.
    We have the snowpack depth / insulation for deep instability to heal permanently if it gets a chance; normal density storms, etc.
    Not so sure your 130 pounds wouldn't matter to a deep slab when sensitivity is at its peak.
    Like yesterday morning even though we weren't penetrating the new snow.
    Times when large naturals may occur.
    Doubt you are on questionable slopes during those hours.
    Or under them...
    Last edited by telefreewasatch; 01-07-2022 at 09:29 AM.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    didnt suck
    well minus the rhime

shoutout fer Sitka and all that keep er safe and open the goods
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

85-86 was one for the ages indeed. Was in my 2nd year working at PCMR then and got to see some redefined paths on the west side of Thaynes canyon.

Yesterday here in Montucky I woke up to -3 degrees at the house, drove 40 miles south to graupel, wind and 20s with good skiing. Today its in the mid 30s headed to the 40s. New normal?

You kooks stay safe down there.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

TFW + WRA = $$$$! Well worth the price of admission. Thanks so much for sharing views and wisdom wrought over many many years! Cheers!

Levity, Bulges and Corn

Coupla large slides triggered pretty easily today.
    I consider 2# to be tickling something out when the slabs are this voluminous.
    Interesting that these two had no legs on em compared to other recent events considering the volume.
    Pulling up shorter thus higher alpha angles.
    Looking forward to some cooling like wra says.

Again.
    The tourons on the Twr 10 who didn't yield to rippers on West Buffler did though...

Again.
    The tourons on the Twr 10 who didn't yield to rippers on West Buffler did though...
    The Buffler was firing but I got spooked after the older lady took a digger from the first turn all the way to the flats. No one up top really informed us what was going on so when I ripped up to a mitten tumbling down the hill I was a little surprised. She claimed she was all good when I skied up with her mitt and Sam rolled up. Just too many people all trying to ski the same run at mach loony while people traversed in via tower 10. I hope no one got clocked to bad out there enjoying the spring like weather.