Page 54 of 112 FirstFirst ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 2790
    Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    ^^ Classy.
    I'd love to get the tour someday, preferably starting from the valley.
    If we get a decent snowpack this year, I'm all in. Even better if I have a foot of snow in my yard.

zzz - did you go malans to the top or another way up?

I've done the malans > malans basin and up in the summer and it sucks ass past malans basin (or I just lost the trail). Much prefer the beus pond trail if i'm doing an up and over.

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    zzz - did you go malans to the top or another way up?

I've done the malans > malans basin and up in the summer and it sucks ass past malans basin (or I just lost the trail). Much prefer the beus pond trail if i'm doing an up and over.
    Yep, another way. Avy safe routes are key: https://utahavalanchecenter.org/avalanche/17441

All this banana talk while looking out the window at work was making me froth at the mouth so I ran up the canyon to catch some sun and the last of the soft snow.
    I checked out a sneaky little chute on the sunny side, wasn't sure it went but rolled the dice as downclimbing is always fun. Turns out she goes and she's a beauty:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220127_222003109.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	2.27 MB 
ID:	403162

On the other side of the drainage the skinning was truly horrendous in the steeps, 6" of unsupportable facets over a slick crust. It got so bad I had to boot then that got so bad I had to get on a rock rib and climb that. Ended up fighting with trees and shouting into the wind a whole bunch before topping out to this:

Name:	PXL_20220128_000808503.PANO.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	731.4 KB 
ID:	403158

5:15p is pushing it a bit timing-wise but damn did that sunset feel great. The exit was worth it, some of the last non-fucked snow I can think of:

Name:	PXL_20220127_235819613.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	403159

Absolutely frigid at the car, temps already in the single digit. At least the facet factory keeps on cranking...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Sick stoke, Boissal. I have yet to explore there much - only been in the upper half - but it seems like lines and chutes galore all up and down the drainage.

A friend of mine skied some unnamed chutes further up the drainage you looked into at sunset, directly sunset-facing, and he said the snow was fantastic.

Travel has been so challenging the past week and a half. I know exactly the conditions you faced. Do you think ski crampons would help?

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post

Name:	PXL_20220127_235819613.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	403159

I like everything about this photo.

Powerline - cardiac ridge - Cardiff bowl/buttress yesterday. Hadn’t gotten out for a walk in a while. E facing still good. Was gonna ski two trees home but really firm. Another hour and it could have been decent corn skiing. Cardiac bowl and buttress had some crunch underneath but surprisingly good.

Name:	IMG_6021.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	206.8 KB 
ID:	403209

Name:	IMG_6026.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	254.1 KB 
ID:	403210

Name:	IMG_6030.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	362.7 KB 
ID:	403211

Name:	IMG_6054.JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	191.4 KB 
ID:	403212

Quote Originally Posted by CirqueScaler View Post
    Sick stoke, Boissal. I have yet to explore there much - only been in the upper half - but it seems like lines and chutes galore all up and down the drainage.

A friend of mine skied some unnamed chutes further up the drainage you looked into at sunset, directly sunset-facing, and he said the snow was fantastic.

Travel has been so challenging the past week and a half. I know exactly the conditions you faced. Do you think ski crampons would help?
    Good to hear your buddy is looking past the Hallway and Old Growth, most people seem to thing they are the only 2 options to move from one drainage to the next. There's definitely a shitload to do off that ridge, some of it very wild. Surprised to hear there's still good snow on W facing, the sun has really done some damage over the past 2 weeks. Or was it 2 months since it last snowed? NW is still juicy but the second your remove the northerly component you're in for a wild ride. The chute in the first pic was soft on the left and bulletproof on the right where it gets more sun, quite challenging to deal with as it's not super wide and I had to make wall to wall turns. That being said there are so many sheltered nooks on that ridgeline I'm sure some still hold good snow.

I doubt crampons would help much right now, the facets are deep enough that it's really hard to punch down to the crust to engage them. It's about as bad as it gets right now, the only thing that would be worse is a true ice crust. You'd never catch me booting in that zone in a normal year and I've set some truly imaginative skinners up there but yesterday I just ran out of patience and chose the wallow. Took me just about an hour to cover the last 700' and I burned more energy on that part than on the previous 3300'. It looks like our early Feb storm is fizzling out though so we'll have to keep coming up with dumber and dumber ideas. Time for the rope to come out!
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I like everything about this photo.
    Looks dreamy.

Wasatch 21/22 - We're All Here 'Cause We're Not All There!

Found some good turns today in sheltered NE aspects.

Name:	Image1643403492.161850.jpg 
Size:	181.8 KB 
ID:	403244

Name:	Image1643403505.115762.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	346.4 KB 
ID:	403245

Wasatch 21/22 - We're All Here 'Cause We're Not All There!

Quote Originally Posted by CirqueScaler View Post
    I used my ski crampons up both sides of Cardiff peak and was pretty happy to have them.

Checked off a new line today. Maybe an inch of wet snow on a softening crust. Was pleasantly surprised.

Name:	IMG_6078.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	167.8 KB 
ID:	403261

Name:	IMG_6065.JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	193.4 KB 
ID:	403262

Last 2 posts = solid. Nice to see some action despite the lack of the standard Wasatch fluff.

Crampons are great on S and W faces where shit's firm. Any aspect that is soft on top they lose a lot of their benefit. Makes me want to go back to ultra-grippy orange BD skins...

Goddammit. You blokes had better get some snow in the next couple weeks.

[QUOTE=zion zig zag;6527867]Found some good turns today in sheltered NE aspects.

Name:	Image1643403492.161850.jpg 
Size:	181.8 KB 
ID:	403244

Did you ski out the gully skier's right of this pic? I hiked up there this fall and was trying to envision the best route down.

Been thinking a bit bout Merrill's death.
    Skins on I think. Prolly shoulda been booting.
    Has anyone not made that mistake and learned from it?
    Problem was his mistake was fatal.
    I've seen several that could have been.
    And tBatt talking bout ski crampons. Appropriate.
    The right things attached to your feet at the right times is critical for staying alive in steep terrain.
    Even if a changeover lasts only 50' before the next one...
    We are in high pressure and firm snow, firm solid snow is a reliable medium to test one's skills.
    Nice to see everyone being joyful...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

TFW...
    Shit happens quickly.

Lost my whippet and didn't bring an ice axe.
    regardless of prodeal, seems like one is in order.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    merrill was a stud
    shit happens to studs too
    dont short sell the blessings of another day in the outdoors performing your crafts
    its what we do
    got out n up james
    firm skinner /booter
    cool views

skiins didnt suck

locals parkin lots scuttlebutts is it sold or was restructured again yesterday but some of the summit group investors remain
    hope it dont change much
    best satch resort vibe goin
    changin that would suck
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

[QUOTE=muted reborn;6528048]
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post

Did you ski out the gully skier's right of this pic? I hiked up there this fall and was trying to envision the best route down.
    The gully exit definitely gives more skiing and a cleaner out, but it has a slightly S aspect and sometimes isn’t worth it, like yesterday. In that case, going back via Rodeo is the better/faster option.

along with tfw - I wish there was more discussion about what happened, conditions, what could have been done different, what lessons could be learned - like when there is an avy report. Perhaps there is somewhere, but I have not seen it.

Maybe not my place to share, but from what I've gathered he was found at the base of a big south facing cliff band, skins on, and significant head/facial trauma. Maybe evidence of him moving around after the fall. Maybe no cell phone. Reported to be skiing in Grizzly, located on the S side of Mt. Wolverine. Sounds like his coworkers went to search for him after 3p, SAR wasn't dispatched until 9:30p or later. Much easier/faster to search for someone with a helicopter, with more people, and in the daylight. Carrying reliable communication, pointy things on icy ascents, and calling SAR sooner rather than later are things I think about. Would he have been reliable enough after the trauma to use his phone? Would any of these things change what ultimately happened? Who knows.

3k of near perfect corn today. Will gladly take it given our current situation.

Name:	IMG_3317.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	394.4 KB 
ID:	403415

Name:	IMG_3385.JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	192.9 KB 
ID:	403416

Name:	IMG_3415.JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	478.5 KB 
ID:	403417

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Still trying to ski pow

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    along with tfw - I wish there was more discussion about what happened, conditions, what could have been done different, what lessons could be learned - like when there is an avy report. Perhaps there is somewhere, but I have not seen it.
    Skins on at the wrong time killed Merrill.
    Pretty sure.
    Not the first.
    Needed to be out of his skis or in a ski crampon set up.
    Because his heel was free with skins on, once sliding had no control of his tips.
    Free heels on skis often result in tips up the hill when you want them down the hill.
    Avalanches tend to suck the tail of a free heel down the hill as well...
    Hard to get in the fall line w/a free heel in both situations.
    R.I.P. Merrill
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Quote Originally Posted by criscam View Post
    3k of near perfect corn today. Will gladly take it given our current situation.

^^^Nice!

All things considered Snowbird is still skiing awesome. This afternoon was totally ripping.

The skiing's still rippin but I'm ready for some storms

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk