Page 97 of 112 FirstFirst ... 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,425 of 2790
    A couple more things to remember, all directly from the EIS:

-UDOT estimates that with snowsheds in place the average number of days where road closures for avalanche control are required will decrease by 80% to 8 days per winter. Eight. $1+ billion to solve an eight day/per season problem.

-Gondola will not run during interlodge.

-Gondola will not run during avalanche control and until after the cable and towers pass an inspection.

How's your blood pressure today DTM?
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

Meh, I knew this was coming. Gonna go fondle the Squads tonight and pray for copious hype-less graupel and windbuff days.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    at a certain point
    ya outta consider running for office
    cause i dont think your gonna e-post your way to what ya want
    or start a whiner thread and fill it
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Is this thing going to be free to ride?

Why the fuck isn't this running year round when it's tax payer funded?

At least people who want a say have motivation to write letters in support or opposition until 11/17. Who knows whether the comments will will worth more than the cost of paper and ink. I'm not sure that they will even be read. The ultimate decision will be based upon dollars and cents and profit margins. There is so much local (LCC/Sandy) opposition to the Gondi that it is hard to believe that it is actually going to pass, but it probably will. As for me, I will continue to drive my vehicle, mostly alone, to Snowbird and Alta, regardless of the outcome. I stopped paying attention when the cog was nixed.
    DTM should run for local office. I think that he would conduct an interesting campaign.

I would like to know the percentages of Salt Lake county residents who truly are in favor and against this time consuming colossal waste of taxpayer dollars.

“The proposed phasing would include increased and improved bus service as described in the Enhanced Bus Service Alternative (with no canyon roadway widening), tolling or restrictions on single occupancy vehicles, and the construction of mobility hubs. UDOT would also proceed with widening and other improvements to Wasatch Boulevard, constructing snow sheds, and implementing trailhead and roadside parking improvements, as funding allows. These improvements will improve air quality, protect the watershed, and increase the quality of life for residents and canyon users by reducing traffic congestion as private vehicles shift to transit.”

“Currently, UDOT does not have funding to implement the proposed preferred alternative,” said Van Jura in a statement. “We are proposing the phased implementation plan to alleviate mobility, reliability and safety concerns that exist today while addressing the long-term transportation need in the canyon.”
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Decision is a major downer. While special interest money might ultimately prevail, hoping those of us opposed can put up a big fight.

Wasatch 21/22 - We're All Here 'Cause We're Not All There!

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    At least people who want a say have motivation to write letters in support or opposition until 11/17. Who knows whether the comments will will worth more than the cost of paper and ink. I'm not sure that they will even be read. The ultimate decision will be based upon dollars and cents and profit margins. There is so much local (LCC/Sandy) opposition to the Gondi that it is hard to believe that it is actually going to pass, but it probably will. As for me, I will continue to drive my vehicle, mostly alone, to Snowbird and Alta, regardless of the outcome. I stopped paying attention when the cog was nixed.
    DTM should run for local office. I think that he would conduct an interesting campaign.

I would like to know the percentages of Salt Lake county residents who truly are in favor and against this time consuming colossal waste of taxpayer dollars.

“The proposed phasing would include increased and improved bus service as described in the Enhanced Bus Service Alternative (with no canyon roadway widening), tolling or restrictions on single occupancy vehicles, and the construction of mobility hubs. UDOT would also proceed with widening and other improvements to Wasatch Boulevard, constructing snow sheds, and implementing trailhead and roadside parking improvements, as funding allows. These improvements will improve air quality, protect the watershed, and increase the quality of life for residents and canyon users by reducing traffic congestion as private vehicles shift to transit.”

“Currently, UDOT does not have funding to implement the proposed preferred alternative,” said Van Jura in a statement. “We are proposing the phased implementation plan to alleviate mobility, reliability and safety concerns that exist today while addressing the long-term transportation need in the canyon.”
    The funding will appear when the Olympic bid gets approved by the IOC.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    The legislature still has to approve the funding. Start writing your state representatives now. The cost estimates are already wildly out of date and this is going to cost well over $1 billion by the time it's done, maybe closer to $2 billion. That may be too much to stomach even in Utah's developer-dominated legislature.
    I feel like the Utah legislature is a lot easier to pay off than UDOT.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    But they may go in the watershed year round for training purposes.
    Must say that though work goes into training search dog teams, the reward of having that dog with you in the local backcountry is worth a lot.
    I came here to read what you guys had to say about the gondi but got wrapped up in this nonsense. Sorry you've had to deal with this.

I realize the uniqueness of the Wasatch situations...but I think dog Karen's are getting worse in general. I have the best behaved dog I have ever owned, by far, and have been yelled at twice in the last couple of weeks by pricks who had no interest but to shame me and make it clear I ruined their lives for extremely minor transgressions i was working to control. My dog barked at one of them as he walked by 100 feet away as we were holding him and working to stop that behavior (border collie lets meet bark) and then he literally would not leave or stop yelling at us, and the other guy because my dog lifted his leg toward his sidewalk plant in front of his business. No pee, it was like a mile into our walk, and I was pulling him away on his short leash. You'd think a pit bull had just bit him, his camera was out immediately filming me and full shame mode engaged, I was too low to even be spoken to.

It kind of comes down to, I guess the dogs ruin their days, sorry, but I am not going to let them wreck mine, imperfect as I admittedly am.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    The funding will appear when the Olympic bid gets approved by the IOC.
    I think you called it. What a major fucking downer this is. And your angle about Olympic events at Snowbird seems very plausible. Fuck.

Groom Great Scott.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

pray for copious hype-less graupel and windbuff days.
    hear, hear!

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Groom Great Scott.
    May 2020. After two months of being closed, mother nature did, in fact, groom great scott.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1835.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	779.3 KB 
ID:	425245

Ha. yep, those are some of the best days. I think I've mentioned this in a thread before but a buddy coaches at Snowbird and the rumor mill/joke was that the mens DH would start at the top of Great Scott, down that, over the roller, down Silver Fox to primrose
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    at a certain point
    ya outta consider running for office
    cause i dont think your gonna e-post your way to what ya want
    or start a whiner thread and fill it
    Pointing out verifiable facts is not "whining." Also, last winter the days I took the bus outnumbered the days I drove my truck by about 3:1.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    May 2020. After two months of being closed, mother nature did, in fact, groom great scott.
    Last winter it was basically groomed every day from early January through mid-February. Perfect chalk, firing.

A couple more things to remember, all directly from the EIS:

-Gondola will not run during interlodge.

-Gondola will not run during avalanche control and until after the cable and towers pass an inspection.
    Well neither of these are closing for "weather" specifically so at least they didn't lie

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    Well neither of these are closing for "weather" specifically so at least they didn't lie
    Wait till they have to evac that beast. That should be tons of fun, who they gonna call, UDOT??

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Very wealthy and well connected dickheads with a complete disregard for anything other than the size of their fortune completely disagree with this.
    While the gondola has been a foregone conclusion for some time now, every step that gets us closer to it still hurts bad...
    And you know something similar is cooking for BCC.

We all know this is a steered process.
    Wish it coulda come outta Summit County for multiple reasons, tagging the head of the BCC on the way to the LCC.

Reason they need to do inspections of the system is to check for damage from ricocheting artillery fragments.
    By the time this thing ever comes about, the army will have shut down military cannon use for avalanche control, so not a future issue. When they really figured out that we were shooting WW2 ammo over friendly's heads...
    James Alderson smacked us upside the head, got rid of our old weapons, ammo, stepped up professionalism, etc.
    Think he means it when he said army artillery on loan to civilian avalanche programs is done by what year? Lil help here
    Xover, altacoup.

Fly in the ointment with highway safety: How to test for and mitigate avalanches in wilderness areas if not shooting artillery from afar.
    Not allowed to build shit in the wilderness, etc.
    Same problems the railroad has in Glacier NP.
    Some things are gonna have to be altered in certain places.
    Assuming the gondola is engineered to be avalanche safe, this is reliable transportation.
    Hope the highway tolls they're gonna implement pay for a lot of this, come the day.
    Shoulda implemented them years ago for this reason.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

If we're lucky the rain line will still be below 11k feet when they get this beast built.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by new yabyum View Post
    Wait till they have to evac that beast. That should be tons of fun, who they gonna call, UDOT??
    Sandy Fire
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by sfotex View Post
    If we're lucky the rain line will still be below 11k feet when they get this beast built.
    That about sums everything up, yep.

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    We all know this is a steered process.
    Wish it coulda come outta Summit County for multiple reasons, tagging the head of the BCC on the way to the LCC.

Reason they need to do inspections of the system is to check for damage from ricocheting artillery fragments.
    By the time this thing ever comes about, the army will have shut down military cannon use for avalanche control, so not a future issue. When they really figured out that we were shooting WW2 ammo over friendly's heads...
    James Alderson smacked us upside the head, got rid of our old weapons, ammo, stepped up professionalism, etc.
    Think he means it when he said army artillery on loan to civilian avalanche programs is done by what year? Lil help here
    Xover, altacoup.

Fly in the ointment with highway safety: How to test for and mitigate avalanches in wilderness areas if not shooting artillery from afar.
    Not allowed to build shit in the wilderness, etc.
    Same problems the railroad has in Glacier NP.
    Some things are gonna have to be altered in certain places.
    Assuming the gondola is engineered to be avalanche safe, this is reliable transportation.
    Hope the highway tolls they're gonna implement pay for a lot of this, come the day.
    Shoulda implemented them years ago for this reason.
    This whole thing has been decided behind doors long ago. Valley gun will be there for a long time, as it will literally take an act of congress to put a remote avalanche control device in the LCC wilderness area. Not sure if you all have been paying attention to the news, but there’s a ton of federal money that was recently designated for transportation. Think UDOT/churchislature/developers doesn’t know that. Between the massive amount of federal funds coming down the pipeline and the impending influx of Olympic money. This is a done deal. I’d imagine it’s just the first domino to fall.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

as a complete aside, theres a Dometic CFX3 75 DZ electric fridge at the millcreek REI for ~700 in their garage sale corner.
    As well as some Head Kore boots with tech inserts in 26.5 for under $200.