Page 106 of 112 FirstFirst ... 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 ... LastLast
Results 2,626 to 2,650 of 2790
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    I don't see a conspiracy either, employers are all short handed, why would UTA be any different? Enhanced bus service is also a part of option B so UTA will see more need for buses not less. They will also need to shuttle people form the various Park & Rides. While looking at some of the info in the UDOT summary it showed the travel time from the base to Alta as 55 minutes. When you figure in driving for example to the 9400 Park & Ride, waiting for a bus, taking bus to the Gondola, waiting 10 minutes to get loaded in a cabin etc etc I think it could be two hours between leaving home in Sandy and arriving up canyon on a busy day. Might as well drive and have all my gear with me.

It is estimated to take 55 minutes to run from the base near the mouth of the canyon to a terminus in Alta, about 25 to 30 minutes quicker than the projected time to drive up the canyon in 2050. The enhanced bus service under the plan is expected to reach Alta in 43 minutes.

Lastly all the projections about more traffic in 2050 or whatever year you want to put out there does not take into account that parking at SB & Alta is already space limited so why would you have more vehicles when there is no place to put them?
    30 years of driving means tires will be really worn by 2050, even more slide offs.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    I don't see a conspiracy either, employers are all short handed, why would UTA be any different?
    There are a lot of hotels and airbnbs along the ski bus routes, and lots of tourists fly in and stay there so they can ski without having to rent a car. I'm sure many have already booked for this winter anticipating normal bus service. I see a conspiracy because the service cuts disproportionately effect LCC and the buses are almost always jam packed with ski resort customers and staff so I would imagine if it weren't for the shady gondola efforts the resorts would step in and make sure the busses run.

Wasatch 21/22 - We're All Here 'Cause We're Not All There!

Direct quote from solitude on the whole thing to UTA before the announcement: “why don’t you guys get creative and prevent this from happening”

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Direct quote from solitude on the whole thing to UTA before the announcement: “why don’t you guys get creative and prevent this from happening”

Zzzzzz money talks is all I gotta say

Alta just bought new employee housing on Fort Union and upper mgmt was so excited because it was on the 953 and would help keep employee cars out of the canyon and allow transport for emps who don't have vehicles. They closed on the Friday before this was announced.

Realistically we're not gonna see the gondola for, what, 10 years? I highly doubt the ski areas want to sabotage themselves for the next decade. They want more people in the canyon. Parking capacity is what it is. Buses are the only answer to getting more $$ up the hill until then.

the Road to LCC should of been updated long ago... Tiny European countries with a fraction of our gdp have more modern roads to their mountains with avalanche protection on the most dangerous sections that make the roads safer for road crews and visitors.

Gondola or not...LCC road should be brought into the 20th century
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

It seems like any job that pays under $24-ish per hour is short handed now.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    the Road to LCC should of been updated long ago... Tiny European countries with a fraction of our gdp have more modern roads to their mountains with avalanche protection on the most dangerous sections that make the roads safer for road crews and visitors.

Looking at how well the fire mitigation road project thing is going in BCC at the moment, it's safe to assume updating the LCC road to Euro avi mitigation standards would be a 20+ year construction project with 1 lane and alternating traffic. Solid chance of getting stuck in the red snake for days on end...
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by fantastic_damage View Post
    It seems like any job that pays under $24-ish per hour is short handed now.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Exactly. People literally can't afford to work for less. You look at [edit: not UDOT] UTA's statement, like my employer, and MANY others, they'll do absolutely anything except pay people more. What they're doing to hire more drivers is paying consultants for 'coaching and support' rather than paying drivers more. This ain't rocket science. Stupid fucks.

Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post

This right here but see below.

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Looking at how well the fire mitigation road project thing is going in BCC at the moment, it's safe to assume updating the LCC road to Euro avi mitigation standards would be a 20+ year construction project with 1 lane and alternating traffic. Solid chance of getting stuck in the red snake for days on end...
    I'm sure you're right but man, we really suck. They get it done in other countries no problem. I just got back here from a Eurozone trip and we're both like "what a shithole".
    Last edited by beaterdit; 10-05-2022 at 09:32 AM.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Wasatch 21/22 - We're All Here 'Cause We're Not All There!

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Exactly. People literally can't afford to work for less. You look at UDOT's statement, like my employer, and MANY others, they'll do absolutely anything except pay people more. What they're doing to hire more drivers is paying consultants for 'coaching and support' rather than paying drivers more. This ain't rocket science. Stupid fucks.
    ".
    I don’t disagree with a lot of what you said but you do realize UTA and UDOT are different entities right? I don’t believe there are any bus drivers on the UDOT payroll

In fact I can tell you with a large amount of certainty that they really don’t even play very well together.

Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    I don’t disagree with a lot of what you said but you do realize UTA and UDOT are different entities right? I don’t believe there are any bus drivers on the UDOT payroll

In fact I can tell you with a large amount of certainty that they really don’t even play very well together.

D'oh, you're totally correct, that was actually a typo on my part. Gonna edit the post.

Is that what that giant saw trench digger was for? I meant to ask what was going on there after I drove down BCC a couple weeks ago.

What about the ski areas just grabbing the situation by the nuts and putting 20/30 busses on the road all day every day? Incentivize ppl to ride. Make it so it's way better to ride up. ?

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    What about the ski areas just grabbing the situation by the nuts and putting 20/30 busses on the road all day every day? Incentivize ppl to ride. Make it so it's way better to ride up. ?
    Yeah I actually think Alta and Snowbird are gonna have to do something. Was just discussing this with my GF who works at the Bird, was really bummed her usual bus got canceled and only just now realised they're cutting the other busses in half too (I told her that a while ago, oops).

Her assessment as an employee: they are totally fucked.

The private bus is free, and the season pass is discounted w the bus, and driving up and parking is 100$ per car.

I think that Alta is charging $25/car Fri-Sun and holidays only. Where do you get that $100 figure?
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

He’s describing his fantasy scenario

for those keeping score-
    Live 10/4 2:15p
    SL county council work session - A Joint Resolution of the Salt Lake County Council and the
    Salt Lake County Mayor Supporting a Common-Sense
    Solutions Approach to the Utah Department of
    Transportation’s Little Cottonwood Canyon Environmental
    Impact Statement....

https://slco.granicus.com/player/eve...9228f1a3d92f09
    style matters...

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Is that what that giant saw trench digger was for? I meant to ask what was going on there after I drove down BCC a couple weeks ago.
    Yep. They've been installing a water conduit of sorts in the downhill lane. The way they're doing it is painful, they make the hole, wait a while, put the pipe down and fill, move on to another section. No temporary pavement over the trench, just compacted dirt and gravel so it gets deep right away. I've seen low-clearance cars put a wheel in there and send plastic bits flying. Eventually they repave a section and during that time there are 2 zones of 1 lane traffic, making the mess even worse. Been going on since May I think? Longest it's taken me to get down was 55 minutes from Silver Fork to the mouth.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Yep. They've been installing a water conduit of sorts in the downhill lane. The way they're doing it is painful, they make the hole, wait a while, put the pipe down and fill, move on to another section. No temporary pavement over the trench, just compacted dirt and gravel so it gets deep right away. I've seen low-clearance cars put a wheel in there and send plastic bits flying. Eventually they repave a section and during that time there are 2 zones of 1 lane traffic, making the mess even worse. Been going on since May I think? Longest it's taken me to get down was 55 minutes from Silver Fork to the mouth.
    They are installing conduit to bury power lines for fire risk mitigation. Great idea and glad they are doing it, but the execution regarding the impact on traffic could definitely be better.

Anyone catch that Salt Lake County just voted 5-4 to condemn the gondola. While they don't have direct control of the decision, they do have control over zoning in the jurisdiction. So the county can eventually make life for the gondola untenable by blocking parking garages and other supporting infrastructure.

I wonder if Salt Lake County could ultimately be a strong force in blocking an eventual gondola by basically signaling if they try and build it they will try every avenue of blocking any needed supportive related zoning for it.

Just get the One Wasatch, or whatever it will be called, done. It will cost less than the Gondola and will be the final solution at some point. Keep the tourist access from the Park City side. Locals will know to access from the big/little canyon sides.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Iowagriz View Post
    Just get the One Wasatch, or whatever it will be called, done. It will cost less than the Gondola and will be the final solution at some point. Keep the tourist access from the Park City side. Locals will know to access from the big/little canyon sides.
    This.
    Everyone was so up in arms about One Wasatch initially. Doesn't seem so bad compared to a LCC gondola, eh?
    A fire escape from both BCC and LCC with two unobtrusive lifts. Problematic transporting medicals, however.
    It's good to get folks from Summit County to the Cottonwoods by spinning bull wheels, not bald tires.
    I'd rather see a gondola from Summit County to Alta with a Brighton station for the 24/7 needs, however.
    Last edited by telefreewasatch; 10-05-2022 at 08:49 AM.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

X2......
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by googledidoo View Post
    They are installing conduit to bury power lines for fire risk mitigation. Great idea and glad they are doing it, but the execution regarding the impact on traffic could definitely be better.
    Thanks for clarifying, just saw the water mitigation part and assumed they were running water but burying power lines makes sense.