Page 90 of 112 FirstFirst ... 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ... LastLast
Results 2,226 to 2,250 of 2790
    Didn't know where to put this, so my apologies for the anti-stoke...but the ski season be pretty much over. for '21/'22

https://www.yahoo.com/news/great-sal...185303576.html

SALT LAKE CITY — If the Great Salt Lake, which has already shrunk by two-thirds, continues to dry up, here’s what’s in store:

The lake’s flies and brine shrimp would die off — scientists warn it could start as soon as this summer — threatening the 10 million migratory birds that stop at the lake annually to feed on the tiny creatures. Ski conditions at the resorts above Salt Lake City, a vital source of revenue, would deteriorate. The lucrative extraction of magnesium and other minerals from the lake could stop.

Most alarming, the air surrounding Salt Lake City would occasionally turn poisonous. The lake bed contains high levels of arsenic and as more of it becomes exposed, windstorms carry that arsenic into the lungs of nearby residents, who make up three-quarters of Utah’s population.

The soil contains arsenic, antimony, copper, zirconium and other dangerous heavy metals, much of it residue from mining activity in the region. Most of the exposed soil is still protected by a hard crust. But as wind erodes the crust over time, those contaminants become airborne.

Clouds of dust also make it difficult for people to breathe, particularly those with asthma or other respiratory ailments. Perry pointed to shards of crust that had come apart, lying on the sand like broken china.

“This is a disaster,” Perry said. “And the consequences for the ecosystem are absolutely, insanely bad.”
    Yikes!
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

If the lake dries up skiing will be the last concern. The greater SLC area will become completely unlivable. Surprisingly the chuchislature is actually proposing some laws to help the lake. But I’ll believe it when I see it.

The part of that article about where local HOAs and governments were forcing people to water their lawn was eye opening.

And the part where they have the almost lowest cost per gallon water in almost the entire US...

I hope things turn around for all of you and people get serious or else greater SLC will be abandoned before even the Phoenix area is.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River View Post
    The part of that article about where local HOAs and governments were forcing people to water their lawn was eye opening.

And the part where they have the almost lowest cost per gallon water in almost the entire US...

I hope things turn around for all of you and people get serious or else greater SLC will be abandoned before even the Phoenix area is.
    I grew up on the Oregon coast in a rain forest and water at my parents house costs more than in Utah. They love to bitch about the federal government in Utah. But that’s why water is so cheap. Almost all the infrastructure for water was built by the Feds so that cost isn’t passed on to the consumer by the utility that built the infrastructure in their cost per unit as it is on most locales. It’s absolutely insane. Feds have been trying to give away money to farmers to upgrade their irrigation systems for years, yet they continue to use flood irrigation and uncovered irrigation ditches where water is lost to evaporation. All so they can ship most their product to China to feed pigs over there. I’m sure the Governor will just ask everyone to pray for rain again this summer.

We have cheap water, yes, partly or all because some of it is covered in our property taxes. There is talk of taking it out of taxes and charging the real price of water to consumers so they will cut back. It would help for sure.

Business around here pay even less for water though, just a fraction of what homeowners pay. I had my main at my work bust and at one point it was losing a gallon every 2 seconds roughly for a couple weeks. The bill went from $15 to $35 a month so no one noticed. The city sent a letter saying "hey do you have a leak, your water usage went way up". That's how we found out. I'd like Utah to charge business their fair share THEN charge homeowners whats fair but I doubt that will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    We have cheap water, yes, partly or all because some of it is covered in our property taxes. There is talk of taking it out of taxes and charging the real price of water to consumers so they will cut back. It would help for sure.

Business around here pay even less for water though, just a fraction of what homeowners pay. I had my main at my work bust and at one point it was losing a gallon every 2 seconds roughly for a couple weeks. The bill went from $15 to $35 a month so no one noticed. The city sent a letter saying "hey do you have a leak, your water usage went way up". That's how we found out. I'd like Utah to charge business their fair share THEN charge homeowners whats fair but I doubt that will happen.
    No courage by the politicians. They don't want to get the blame for rising utility/water fees. Then when the shit hits the fan, they blame everyone else.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Didn't know where to put this, so my apologies for the anti-stoke...but the ski season be pretty much over. for '21/'22

Yikes!
    at least when everyone is dead , no one will be able to complain anymore

But, seriously- I enjoyed a rather good amount of fun ski days this year Caught some fresh tracks about 75% of my 31 days up there. Some were wind blown leftovers; some were frozen and freshly thawed-but I don't discriminate with a snowflakes timing. 31 is not to bad, for working 5 days a week.

+finally met up with some mags to ski at Jackson /totaling day#s to 34.everyone was much cooler in person than I expected... Looking forward to finally hookin' up with our slc mags next year.
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

No courage by the politicians. They don't want to get the blame for rising utility/water fees. Then when the shit hits the fan, they blame everyone else.
    But we're still going to have a hell of a gondola though. So we got that going for us.

Wasatch 21/22 - We're All Here 'Cause We're Not All There!

Yikes!
    How much this will affect eastern Idaho? Like up in Pocatello, IF, etc. The predominant winds sweep across the Snake River Plane from the south/SW. Wonder how much, if any, of that dust makes its way up here.

Kind of a great reason to start buying property up here though..

Is there still any worthwhile skiing to be had, or is the fun over? It’s been a while since I’ve been up high and am pretty much out of the loop.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaStoke View Post
    Is there still any worthwhile skiing to be had, or is the fun over? It’s been a while since I’ve been up high and am pretty much out of the loop.
    looks like it's still top to bottom skiing at alta. I guess it all depends on your definition of worthwhile

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alta cam.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	268.6 KB 
ID:	418542

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2022/...eeting-future/

Man, glad I stopped patrolling there this past season. What a list of ways to ruin what was a great resort

Quote Originally Posted by camlax View Post
    https://unofficialnetworks.com/2022/...eeting-future/

Man, glad I stopped patrolling there this past season. What a list of ways to ruin what was a great resort
    What's the ruining stuff?

Dying to know your thoughts on the Wyssen in Boundary - will that be a good or bad thing? Will it mean Fantasy / East Face opens faster? Where will that go, above the black cliffs?? I'm always puckered watching you guys ski cut that section, can't imagine doing it.

I'll be honest, I watched the YouTube and thought "damn, this all sounds pretty good". Maybe it's because I went in expecting her to announce them shuttering the ridge w/in 5 years (a rumor I heard from someone kind of in the loop), but still think most of it sounds either good or a good way to make money that doesn't hurt my experience.
    - Race league and Nastar - great
    - Terrain parks - great
    - 8 AM eagle opening on weekdays - sweet as long as they vertical rope PH bowl so that isn't gangbanged by the time PH opens
    - Wyssen in Boundary - potentially great since I'd love to ski crystal in unsettled neck deep blower sometime
    - More transparency into terrain openings - not a fan. I like the "you gotta be there to know" aspect of the Tude, but I know patrol gets fucking badgered ("is this open, is this open"), so maybe this will be helpful there

Couple things she said that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere, but seem quite big:
    - Solitude is the lowest earner in the Alterra portfolio. I think this is a good thing. I'd imagine if Alterra is cash strapped or they want to go public Solitude would be the first to be sold
    - She did say they are going to develop the Carrie Mills lot and it'll likely be residential. Where is Carrie Mills, down between Eagle and Silver Fork?

Quote Originally Posted by DigSki View Post
    What's the ruining stuff?
    This was sort of my take away. Almost everything seems like a good thing to me. Especially the more bike trails part. I liked the call out about the #1 complaint being paid parking. Seems like solitude is trying to enhance the skier/summer experience which seems opposite of what's happening at the top of the other canyon

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    I liked the call out about the #1 complaint being paid parking.
    Agreed, however the justification for paid parking seemed a little hollow. "It's working, we saw bus usage go up x% over last year and carpooling go up x% over last year. It's working." Maybe it's working? But hard to tell with COVID - in 2021 the message was still stay away from other people, in 2022 it was get vaxxed it's good, I'm sure that had a significant impact on ridership / ride share. FWIW, I was a full time bus rider before 2021, then in 2021 drove up by myself or just with a close friend every day because of COVID

Paid parking is working. They made mucho grande dinero for basically nothing and a traffic shit show @ the road. Yep, working fucking great!

Ganjola for Soli? Dumb!
    Ganjola's fucking suck! Gonna have to take that Stoopid pos to access top of PH?

-Towers will be a good thing out in the early boundaries. Biggest hazard there is no safe zones for the patrollers to throw from so hopefully giving the slopes a thump before the guys get in there will reduce some exposure. Also being able to hit it mid storm when it’s not realistic to put patrollers on the ridge is a good thing.
    -All east face routes will still have to be run though with the same shot locations thrown.
    -I don’t see the ridge ever shutting down but one of Ambers first questions when she got the job was how we could “monetize” the ridge better.

What attracted me most to solitude and kept me there near 10 years was the staggered terrain opening and not overly publicizing every gate opening to keep a steady flow of skiers in terrain but never have it get skied totally out.

This snow opening and terrain announcer job will inevitably be just another social media kid who wants to ski terrain before it opens and hype it up on Instagram.

Hate to sound overly negative about it, just a shame to see the resort change so much and employee moral drop so far. Ask patrol about the “new” locker room Amber put them in

I suppose compared to toxic wind and dust storms, ski resort problems are pretty minor…
    Last edited by camlax; 06-11-2022 at 10:29 AM.

^^^ Marvin still around?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Yes

Main Chute is still hanging in there, albeit just barely.

A real bike park in the cottonwoods will be a big deal. Hopefully they don't blow it. Deer Valley solidly proved that just hiring Gravity Logic to build your trails is no guarantee of success.

Definitely big changes in store.

I’ve heard rumors of a bike park at Brighton. Reputable builder to do the project. No idea if it’ll happen. But a legit bike park in BCC looks like a possibility. Seems like a no brainer to me. Deer valley is totally over run since vail mothballed the canyons bike park.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Whenever I hear “gravity flow” bike park I get a little sad inside. Guess I need to go ride kruzr and get off my grumpy horse. I’m getting too cautious for the rowdy shit these days.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

I don’t see the ridge ever shutting down but one of Ambers first questions when she got the job was how we could “monetize” the ridge better.
    Fantastic to hear you don’t see it shutting down. And good one Amber - I hope she likes seeing only beaters on the ridge. Fwiw, my friends and I actually talked about monetizing the ridge after big sky started charging for the tram and we said we wouldn’t pay to ski it. And the ridge is a huge reason we ski there - I bet 2 of us are among the highest lap counts on the ridge every season (camlax I’m sure you know us - I’m pretty sure I lived with you at Neil’s house).

What attracted me most to solitude and kept me there near 10 years was the staggered terrain opening and not overly publicizing every gate opening to keep a steady flow of skiers in terrain but never have it get skied totally out.

This snow opening and terrain announcer job will inevitably be just another social media kid who wants to ski terrain before it opens and hype it up on Instagram.
    Couldn’t agree more with your reason for liking solitude.
    - It did cross my mind that the new towers could make east face open faster, which would mean hard decisions between west and east face, but it sounds like that won’t be the case since it still needs full routes
    - I love the fact that we get rewarded for always being on the hill and learning the order and general timing of terrain openings.
    — — I’m hopeful that won’t change much with this new position.
    — — I think unless that new position gets an in with patrol it shouldn’t change too much for the first couple laps. How many more people are gonna go to a gate because it’s shown open on instagram vs seeing it updated on the boards that are now at the bottom of every lift? If this person starts showing dope footage getting pitted at gate drops, that might be a different story, but they already have ambassadors who spray like crazy…
    — — …but maybe I’m being naive. If I am, I guess it’s been an awesome handful of years.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    I’ve heard rumors of a bike park at Brighton. Reputable builder to do the project. No idea if it’ll happen. But a legit bike park in BCC looks like a possibility. Seems like a no brainer to me. Deer valley is totally over run since vail mothballed the canyons bike park.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Brighton is the king of rumors that never play out, I have also heard about a 6 pack for the Crest chair (this one has been ongoing for years now) and then also a Hidden Canyon lift and then yeah latest is bike park.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk