Page 28 of 112 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
    I believe the hinterland guy has posted a few times. I have a friend who does some RD skiing for him, they sure are purdy.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

I’m really starting to believe they want problems in order to push the “solution.” WTF was up with the no plowing of the LCC park and ride? Made plans to meet a friend there and car pool, I had no problem getting in with the new Blizzaks but she got stuck immediately on entry.

If you want people to car pool it might be a good idea to plow the places to park.

We went down at the end of the day and I had to help push out a Toyota Corolla with bald tires that was sideways in the entry. 3:00 and the lot nor entry had been plowed. Once I got them out of the way I pulled up the hill to find a still unplowed lot with two UPD officers parked next to each other chatting.

I’m glad I’m going out of town tomorrow and won’t have to witness the fuckery of whatever Alta’s new policies cause this weekend.

Just to counteract my bitching and downery, here’s a pic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E3FFD782-4BD8-4E13-A1FC-554E5FE3CAC5.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	538.7 KB 
ID:	396874

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    So for about $250 you get 1.5 runs of untracked snow vs 0.75……

Utah is amazing, and I’m thankful for my time there, but I’m also very glad I don’t live there anymore. I’d kill myself.
    Ayep

Quote Originally Posted by Yukonrider View Post
    The only place I've seen in America where public transit works well is Telluride, because they have an excellent gondola system, and living situation dense enough for it to be easy to access.
    d.
    Aspen was already mentioned and it works well.
    Relied on it for years to work and ski.

Assume you are just talking ski towns, but Boston and NYC have great public transportation.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    I’m really starting to believe they want problems in order to push the “solution.” WTF was up with the no plowing of the LCC park and ride? Made plans to meet a friend there and car pool, I had no problem getting in with the new Blizzaks but she got stuck immediately on entry.

If you want people to car pool it might be a good idea to plow the places to park.

We went down at the end of the day and I had to help push out a Toyota Corolla with bald tires that was sideways in the entry. 3:00 and the lot nor entry had been plowed. Once I got them out of the way I pulled up the hill to find a still unplowed lot with two UPD officers parked next to each other chatting.

I’m glad I’m going out of town tomorrow and won’t have to witness the fuckery of whatever Alta’s new policies cause this weekend.

Just to counteract my bitching and downery, here’s a pic.

Name:	E3FFD782-4BD8-4E13-A1FC-554E5FE3CAC5.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	538.7 KB 
ID:	396874
    Not making excuses but I know they have publicly stated UDOT has a plow driver shortage currently. I suppose 215 is probably more important than a parking lot. I agree with you though that it should be plowed obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Not making excuses but I know they have publicly stated UDOT has a plow driver shortage currently. I suppose 215 is probably more important than a parking lot. I agree with you though that it should be plowed obviously.
    This, their main priority was likely getting the city plowed so people could get to work, the roads were horrendous in town last night, even state street and 215 with only an inch fallen at that point, I don’t think it let up all night, def seemed like less plow drivers out from my anecdotal evidence

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Trefin View Post
    This, their main priority was likely getting the city plowed so people could get to work, the roads were horrendous in town last night, even state street and 215 with only an inch fallen at that point, I don’t think it let up all night, def seemed like less plow drivers out from my anecdotal evidence

3:00

Nice pic.
    I'm sure that your brawny conduct scored brownie points with your lady friend
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Nice pic.
    I'm sure that your brawny conduct scored brownie points with your lady friend
    Huh? My “lady friend” is a ski buddy. I have guys and gals I like to ski with, I usually don’t try to score points. It’s more about having a good time.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    shit they aint plowed the turn lane off 2000 onto 9600 yet
    and made 1 pass through my hood this morn
    udont not git mur than what youre willing to pay for
    got my shit cleared though

i worked with Creighton hitherlands good stuff
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

3:00
    My bad, i dont read good, that is crazy. Got the next 2 days off, stoked, glad for those able to get up today, i'm sure it was a blast.

Huh? My “lady friend” is a ski buddy. I have guys and gals I like to ski with, I usually don’t try to score points. It’s more about having a good time.
    All good. It was a joke. My intent was to make you smile nothing else. Happy Holidays!
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Solitude just threw down the gauntlet, lifts loading at 8:00. Beats the hell out of lets look for a shell Snowbird today.

Everyone should go to Solitude.

Fantastic day. Rolled up the road to alta at 9AM no issues. Plenty of knee deep and plenty of good terrain open.

Name:	20211215_115601.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	396909

Name:	20211215_112935.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	721.9 KB 
ID:	396910

Name:	20211215_115604.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	396911

Rolling a Brighton pass this season since my snowbird spancer had to cull that job from the heard and working too much so weekend warrior it is. Brighton has been fun if you get there around 8 if you want reasonable parking spot leaving at 3 and people are road parked almost to silver fork lodge. Fuuuuuuuck that noise. Gonna do some night skiing soon.

Mandy is gonna tweak my slippers at the L9 tomorrow hope Sheldon is there SFB too

My vote is enforce traction laws, have Alta Marshall and Unfried Pork ticket those who escape checkpoint Charlie, snowsheds (fucking duh), better bus solution and hell no to this piss poorly planned ganjola that is gonna make Neiderhauser et al really rich without solving the fundamental problem. I understand it’s usefulness in some situations but don’t feel the juice is worth the squeeze.

Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Name:  dHb7A6A.png
Views: 885
Size:  649.6 KB

Quiet evening, few dusk patrol laps...

Name:	BT1.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	396927

Name:	BT2.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	396928

Name:	BT3.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	970.1 KB 
ID:	396929

Mittens would've been nice.

Does everyone have to go walking along a ridge line to remote trigger an avalanche so they can post it on UAC? ...Yeah no shit its going to slide, we get it, theres a mega PWL of facets in our snowpack. Stay away and give it a chance to strengthen or natural on its own...jeesh. ...stick to south facing lines or go meadow skipping.

Quote Originally Posted by mar123 View Post
    Does everyone have to go walking along a ridge line to remote trigger an avalanche so they can post it on UAC? ...Yeah no shit its going to slide, we get it, theres a mega PWL of facets in our snowpack. Stay away and give it a chance to strengthen or natural on its own...jeesh. ...stick to south facing lines or go meadow skipping.
    Been a thing for the past few years it seems. There's a whole pack of people out there who appear to be interesting in touring only because it allows them to drop cornices. Then there's the 10 to 15x per season Monitor repeater, those poor slopes can't catch a break.
    I think it mostly ensures some slopes never fully heal because the cornice gets dropped too early on a slope that's not quite fully loaded and the resulting slide is too shallow to properly scour the weak layer. But, gotta get your name published online somehow.

Edit: nice pics! Those dusk patrols always yield mad colors.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

You are bothered by the # of people posting observations? Or you think people are recklessly triggering avalanches from ridgetops?

Quote Originally Posted by CirqueScaler View Post
    You are bothered by the # of people posting observations? Or you think people are recklessly triggering avalanches from ridgetops?
    I love everyone, and wish the best for everyone, and that they will make healthy decisions while venturing out into our beautiful mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by CirqueScaler View Post
    The latter. If you're skinning a ridgetop to the line you intend to descend and intentionally drop a cornice on a slope you pass that is a different aspect and not at all indicative of what you are going to ski that is a questionable activity in my book. If you think a slope is going to slide and you try to make it slide just to prove yourself right or watch it rip out thats not okay to me.

There are plenty of reasons to try to induce failure on a test slope but doing it just to submit an observation and watch it go is not a good one.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Quote Originally Posted by soul_skier View Post
    The latter. If you're skinning a ridgetop to the line you intend to descend and intentionally drop a cornice on a slope you pass that is a different aspect and not at all indicative of what you are going to ski that is a questionable activity in my book. If you think a slope is going to slide and you try to make it slide just to prove yourself right or watch it rip out thats not okay to me.

There are plenty of reasons to try to induce failure on a test slope but doing it just to submit an observation and watch it go is not a good one.
    ^yep exactly...theres a time and place, now is neither, and its not necessary...Maybe the UAC loves all the traffic and promotion the avy observations generate, but also maybe they should put out an educational video/statement addressing etiquette.

It is kinda alarming how many new avalanche observations are being posted these days...IDK... super grateful for the community and the UAC , but it does seem 90% of the avy obs are induce failure to watch it go so we can submit a "cool" observation.

As far as I can remember they dont touch on this subject in the avy 1 classes, and I dont remember the UAC ever sayin much about it either. It is kinda a grey area, but I dont think it would be too difficult a concept to teach/encourage people from avalanche hunting/just to submit.

sorry... stoke was posted, need something new to bitch about...at least its not parking or a gondola, haha.

Wonder if it has any reason behind why MW isn't affiliated with UAC, or the fact he wanted some additional cash for it, who knows. Also, i think the turns above the gravel pit were fully tresspassing on private, but who knows.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by mar123 View Post
    ^yep exactly...theres a time and place, now is neither, and its not necessary...Maybe the UAC loves all the traffic and promotion the avy observations generate, but also maybe they should put out an educational video/statement addressing etiquette.

It is kinda alarming how many new avalanche observations are being posted these days...IDK... super grateful for the community and the UAC , but it does seem 90% of the avy obs are induce failure to watch it go so we can submit a "cool" observation.

As far as I can remember they dont touch on this subject in the avy 1 classes, and I dont remember the UAC ever sayin much about it either. It is kinda a grey area, but I dont think it would be too difficult a concept to teach/encourage people from avalanche hunting/just to submit.

sorry... stoke was posted, need something new to bitch about...at least its not parking or a gondola, haha.
    Makes sense to me.