Page 87 of 112 FirstFirst ... 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,175 of 2790
    Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    I was the only one booting from the apron because I don't have ski crampons for my bindings. My partners skinned about 3/4s the way up the couloir. Wanted to give the mistress some options ya know??

BUT I personally prefer to boot up couloirs I'm going to ski if possible. I'd rather preserve the snow surface more for the descent but I guess some people like to ski over a skinner hundreds of times. Haha

Hahaha Ben mentioned the Moses couloir is your favorite ascent on the mountain. And yes, I'm proposing a new name for it -- nohow's name for it, Genesis couloir, doesn't make sense since Nebo isn't from or mentioned in the Book of Genesis, it's most famously mentioned in the book of Deuteronomy (where Moses dies) and then again in the second book of Maccabees. (Yes, I googled that) Other notable names I've heard it called are Jimmy's line (but I feel like there's a group of alta patrollers that call everything Jimmy's line because well, they know their history) or the west couloir.

What does TFW call it?

We never intended to ski the NW couloir yesterday and the snow wasn't great in there, kind of a mixed bag of punchy new snow. We were after corn and that's exactly what we got, on both runs.

Who is CG btw?
    Well, since Jimmy uses a compass for stuff off of peaks and names for stuff off of ridge lines, how 'bout Compass Couloir?

Chris Gaines?(probably Gliech)

Another method I like to describe lines is the drainage name sometimes in combination with a peak.
    Like O'Sullivan into Lisa Falls, or O'Sullivan into Tanners, etc.
    If the drainage has only one great line into it then it gets the name of the drainage.
    Like Wooly Hole couloir. Oops, that one got McLeaned...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Geeze you guys are doing it wrong, too many names and religious references for my blood.

Just give me some 39.82185, -111.76037 to 39.82793, -111.79136 Couloir - boom no confusion at all...
    You took too much man, too much, too much

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    If the drainage has only one great line into it then it gets the name of the drainage.
    Like Wooly Hole couloir. Oops, that one got McLeaned...
    hahaha love it. Woolly hole couloir always looks grunge-y to me when I take a peek so I'll give him a pass on that particular one. I do like that name: Woolly hole couloir, but I think there's a few exit chutes from Pika into Woolly and I thought the East Face of North Timp was pretty great. Maybe that doesn't count as Woolly hole though? too convoluted without rapping the cliffs off the face into woolly?

I like the naming convo though, hadn't really thought about it much, but I pretty much stick to those rules outlined above. Prominent line into a drainage name. Direction right off the peak, names off the ridge.

McLeaned=great term. Guess in Nebo's case I'm too late to the game by that rule/reference......

On Nebo: forgot about garden of skiden, that's pretty good so I'll concede that one plus I wouldn't want TFW to call me a McLeaner haha. maybe that area is better unnamed, lots of fun terrain in that small section of a huge mountain. don't want to attract the hordes away from the two named couloirs off the summit. don't have names for the east side as all the areas already have names on the map, just pick one of nebos summits and the basin ya skied into and ya got your name.

Sometimes its fun to have your own names within the crew anyways. I know some of my touring circles have their own names for certain shots. Like inside jokes in a way, nostalgia in another.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Roc View Post
    Geeze you guys are doing it wrong, too many names and religious references for my blood.

Just give me some 39.82185, -111.76037 to 39.82793, -111.79136 Couloir - boom no confusion at all...
    Even though that's not it, I like the idea Plus with names like that, I'll be able to just rely on my smartphone to navigate. always works out great. only issue is how will I hashtag coordinates???
    Last edited by brutah; 05-02-2022 at 05:04 PM. Reason: didn't actually look at the coordinates

the Wasatch 22 was brought up on Nebo's tour. Pretty cool project and something I hadn't thought about before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1KvfGxmWLU&t=3s
    One peak I hadn't thought of skiing before either so that's nice motivation too.

hahaha love it. Woolly hole couloir always looks grunge-y to me when I take a peek so I'll give him a pass on that particular one. I do like that name: Woolly hole couloir, but I think there's a few exit chutes from Pika into Woolly and I thought the East Face of North Timp was pretty great. Maybe that doesn't count as Woolly hole though? too convoluted without rapping the cliffs off the face into woolly?

I like the naming convo though, hadn't really thought about it much, but I pretty much stick to those rules outlined above. Prominent line into a drainage name. Direction right off the peak, names off the ridge.

McLeaned=great term. Guess in Nebo's case I'm too late to the game by that rule/reference......

On Nebo: forgot about garden of skiden, that's pretty good so I'll concede that one plus I wouldn't want TFW to call me a McLeaner haha. maybe that area is better unnamed, lots of fun terrain in that small section of a huge mountain. don't want to attract the hordes away from the two named couloirs off the summit. don't have names for the east side as all the areas already have names on the map, just pick one of nebos summits and the basin ya skied into and ya got your name.

Sometimes its fun to have your own names within the crew anyways. I know some of my touring circles have their own names for certain shots. Like inside jokes in a way, nostalgia in another.
    Nice to agree with all of the above.
    Pika Cirque into Woolly hole is Pika Cirque into Woolly Hole, east and west...
    East Face of North Timp is the East Face of North Timp.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Name:  JMn15mE.png
Views: 1500
Size:  77.8 KB

Still looks muy bueno up there yall

Any Wasatch mags happen to buy a pair of size 28.5 Tecnica Zero G Pro tours off KSL yesterday (5/2)?

If you did (or know someone who did) please PM me. My boots were stolen by a roommate and I’m 99% sure the zero g’s that were on KSL yesterday were mine.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CirqueScaler View Post
    Still looks muy bueno up there yall
    Can confirm it is still muy bueno up there. started greenhousing down low as I left around 2:30

Assuming Alta is open for uphill? Any areas off limits? Was thinking of an easy lap up Albion area.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    Assuming Alta is open for uphill? Any areas off limits? Was thinking of an easy lap up Albion area.
    Its all open

the Wasatch 22 was brought up on Nebo's tour. Pretty cool project and something I hadn't thought about before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1KvfGxmWLU&t=3s
    One peak I hadn't thought of skiing before either so that's nice motivation too.
    This is a sick video! Guy got out for sure.

Fun dude to watch who is stoked on skiing for sure

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Went to Deseret to do the triple crown. A brutal approach and exit, but the inbetween was pretty good, snow is holding up. Some areas of isothermic bullshit that will hopefully solid up with some cooler temps.

Thinking we should do a mini? like tour style at Alta? Burn some cals and down a brew? thoughts? or you all start riding those 2 wheel jalopy mobiles?

^I'm in!

Skiing was really good this morning
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220509_100659.jpeg 
Views:	107 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	415778Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220509_094040.jpeg 
Views:	104 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	415779

Sent from my SM-S908U using TGR Forums mobile app

I agree skiing was good today!

I'm also down for the mini. Would prefer this week or next as I'm heading to Colorado for 3 weeks starting on the weekend of May 21st.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I'm heading to Colorado for 3 weeks starting on the weekend of May 21st.
    Stop by and I'll buy ya a beer.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Stop by and I'll buy ya a beer.
    I like beer! Especially free beer. Let me know where to stop by and I'll certainly try to make that happen. Probably try to ski A-Basin too if you wanna make some turns

Tonight didn't suck. Snow was a little heavy down low, but it's May so....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alta1.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	508.6 KB 
ID:	415828Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alta2.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	876.8 KB 
ID:	415829Click image for larger version. 

Name:	alta3.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	415830

Great day! Sun came out late afternoon and smoked west and south aspects. East aspects should still be good tomorrow morning.

Snow was pretty wind jacked on most aspects this morning. Protected, low angle north facing slopes are probably your best bet if anyone is heading up today

Snow was pretty wind jacked on most aspects this morning. Protected, low angle north facing slopes are probably your best bet if anyone is heading up today

Oh no!!! Sorry if i let you astray!

-Z

Quote Originally Posted by D-Roc View Post
    Oh no!!! Sorry if i let you astray!

-Z
    I wasn't blaming ya haha
    Just putting out a PSA

I like beer! Especially free beer. Let me know where to stop by and I'll certainly try to make that happen. Probably try to ski A-Basin too if you wanna make some turns
    That might work.

PM coming.