Page 100 of 112 FirstFirst ... 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,500 of 2790
    Quote Originally Posted by fantastic_damage View Post
    So I guess we are definitely not getting Hyperloop now.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    snowbird bass hole is as close as we will get to one

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Dude. Calm down. Yer using the f word like it's coming outta my mouth.
    When you say fuck the rest of the people in the canyon, well that's me. So did I fuck myself? Guess so.
    Twr. 2 of the second leg and cable will be 200' away from our residence that we plan to spend the rest of our lives in.
    We will be visually impacted 24/7 especially in winter with the leaves down. Folks w/ binos will be able to look in our skylights if so inclined.
    Right now our view to the north is just granite buttresses. We live below the highway so we hear but don't see it so much. You think I want this thing for me personally?
    This ain't about me.
    Prolly won't ride it much as we live on the up side.
    I've been a steward of this canyon for almost a half century and oughta be allowed to express my opinions without you shittin on em.
    I've always felt that a gondola to the head of the LCC, from wherever, is huge step forward for this canyon.
    Like I said afore, wish this thing came from Summit Co.
    we will have to moon you every ride now we know where you live

Hope to ski you this winter...
    Looks like I'll be rolling through late January - early February.
    Will ping.

I sure hope the conditions are a little softer than last year.

C'mon down to Silverton.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 09-04-2022 at 11:59 AM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I hope that I don't miss you. I'll be in Jackson from 1/29-2/4
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Will ping.

C'mon down to Silverton.
    Let me know if you do a basin day with the meat bros. I bought a pass this year so I can learn to ski again.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    I hope that I don't miss you. I'll be in Jackson from 1/29-2/4
    I'll be passing through on the way down and back, usually separated by 2+ weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Let me know if you do a basin day with the meat bros. I bought a pass this year so I can learn to ski again.
    Are you sure you want to break our ski streak?

But yes, I'll be lurking there for a day or two, will ping.

EuroBBI23 is forming as well.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

https://www.utah.gov/pmn/files/684917.pdf
    The spec sheet. Interesting stuff.
    Says they can return the cabins to a terminal, no evac necessary.
    Something to remember is that this is four lifts, the longest segment being the mouth to Tanner's Flats.
    An installer of theirs that I worked with years ago asked the Swiss engineers some questions for me.
    Of interest was that gondola development is improving quickly and dramatically. Lower tower heights, etc.
    Like the longer we wait, the better the product?
    Thanks for posting that. Lots of great information.

I wonder if the 4000pph means 2000 people up and 2000 people down. Anyone know what the nice day road capacity is?

Are you sure you want to break our ski streak?

But yes, I'll be lurking there for a day or two, will ping.

EuroBBI23 is forming as well.
    I guess we could just get together for a drink and keep the streak alive.

Will ping.

I sure hope the conditions are a little softer than last year.

C'mon down to Silverton.
    Love to. Really.
    You got the wine, I got the rest.

Todds, that's 4k in one direction. Road capacity is whatever they can stuff offa the white line; too much.
    Hope UDOT implements no highway parking by the ski areas to encourage ganjala use when it's built or some kind of limit on personal vehicles.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Thought I saw something about two minute interval between cabins.
    After reading the pdf it says 30second intervals. With approximately a 35 minute ride time.

The only real trouble I have as a user would be no going back to the car to grab lunch or change
    if the weather changes during the day. Will have to schlep everything up initially.
    That and paying to park and paying to ride up. If it's negligible, NP. But if it's $20 + $20 , that's a problem (for me).

You’d hope Alta/Bird would provide some extra locker space for that exact reason.

Shit, sometimes there are days when you grab the wrong ski to start out. Wonder if there will be rules on how much shit you can take with you. Could see people shlepping a lot of gear with them cause sometimes you never really know what the snow/conditions are gunna be like without driving up the canyon.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

^^^

You would hope that they’d expand base area facilities and lockers. But that would require a large investment and forest service permission.

Damned hard to get a locker at Alta. I am currently on the waiting list, but don't have high hopes.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quick question - double checking something - does anyone know how much passes went up between last year and this coming year? My kid's college pass seems to have going up like $100 and am double checking to make sure that sounds right before I pull the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Quick question - double checking something - does anyone know how much passes went up between last year and this coming year? My kid's college pass seems to have going up like $100 and am double checking to make sure that sounds right before I pull the trigger.
    You are paying for your college kid’s pass? Vibes.

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    You are paying for your college kid’s pass? Vibes.
    Ha. Right. Thanks.

But compared to out of state or private school tuition I’m scoring a huge savings. Part of the negotiation. I think I won.

Ski220, good eye. Think that difference in times between cabins is in correlation to # of cabins planned for. Seems like UDOT isn't planning on maxing out the lift's capabilities...at this time.
    Hope there's a reasonable yearly pass and free parking, and hope it's free parking at the gravel pit w/nonstop buses to the terminal. Kinda optimistic, I guess.
    Hope there's a shitload of season and day lockers at the upper terminals. Optimism again...

CoorsLight, light rail connection would make us a lil like yurp, eh? At least to the gravel pit with it's thousands of stalls and nonstop busses...

Comments could make a difference. They read em.

I live 15 minutes from La Caille and 30 minutes from the top of LCC without any traffic. If they are estimating a 35 minute ride time, that would make it a 50 minute trip at best, but probably well over an hour in practice considering parking limitations, having to potentially take the bus from the gravel pit, and waiting to load the gondola. Maybe 2 hours?

I skied around 40 days in LCC last season. I can only think of two days where my round-trip drive time from home to LCC and back was over 75 minutes (~42.5 minutes each way). Maybe it happened a few more times but I almost never got stuck in traffic. Granted, it didn’t snow that much last year and I travel at strategic times.

The worst traffic I was in last season was Saturday April 23, best day of the season, slept late and left my house a little after 8am (bad move I know). Tons of snow on the road in the canyon and it was dumping up high but the UDOT officer was sitting in his rig at the mouth doing nothing as unprepared vehicles drove up. Road conditions were the worst I’ve ever seen and I saw many accidents, mostly unprepared vehicles that the lazy officer should have turned around. Pulled into white pine around 10:30am. Probably would have taken a lot longer to get to Alta.

Seemed like most skiers in town went up the canyon that day. It was pretty much the worst possible conditions for getting up the canyon: big dump, Saturday, continues to snow hard in the morning. I can’t imagine a gondola getting me up the canyon significantly faster on a day like that under the current plan. I’d probably have to circle for parking at the gravel pit, wait for a bus if I’m lucky enough to get a parking spot, then wait for a gondola car.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    I live 15 minutes from La Caille and 30 minutes from the top of LCC without any traffic. If they are estimating a 35 minute ride time, that would make it a 50 minute trip at best, but probably well over an hour in practice considering parking limitations, having to potentially take the bus from the gravel pit, and waiting to load the gondola. Maybe 2 hours?

I skied around 40 days in LCC last season. I can only think of two days where my round-trip drive time from home to LCC and back was over 75 minutes (~42.5 minutes each way). Maybe it happened a few more times but I almost never got stuck in traffic. Granted, it didn’t snow that much last year and I travel at strategic times.
    Similar story here. My MO last season was have a lazy morning, leave the house at 11:00, catch the 11:10 bus, be in line at Zoom by 11:30. Hot lap until 4:00, 4:20 bus down, home by 5. Hard to be excited about a gondola when it doubles the travel time.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    The worst traffic I was in last season was Saturday April 23, best day of the season, slept late and left my house a little after 8am (bad move I know). Tons of snow on the road in the canyon and it was dumping up high but the UDOT officer was sitting in his rig at the mouth doing nothing as unprepared vehicles drove up. Road conditions were the worst I’ve ever seen and I saw many accidents, mostly unprepared vehicles that the lazy officer should have turned around. Pulled into white pine around 10:30am. Probably would have taken a lot longer to get to Alta.
    Way too difficult and expensive to enforce traction laws.

Hope there's a reasonable yearly pass and free parking, and hope it's free parking at the gravel pit w/nonstop buses to the terminal. Kinda optimistic, I guess.
    Hope there's a shitload of season and day lockers at the upper terminals. Optimism again...
    Will there be ponies, too?

When did the capacity of the gondola double without a corresponding increase in cost? This chart is from UDOT June of 2021.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LCC.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	425635

Bigdude, they are lying about the cost which will be at least $1 billion. The majority of Utahns do not want the project. They are ramming this down our throats on false pretenses and against the will of the people.

Quote Originally Posted by googledidoo View Post
    Bigdude, they are lying about the cost which will be at least $1 billion. The majority of Utahns do not want the project. They are ramming this down our throats on false pretenses and against the will of the people.
    We know the cost estimate is off, the only question is it off by 20% or 40%? In going back and looking at the Deseret News article is says the same thing, 1050 per hr.

The gondola would come with a 2,500-space parking lot near the mouth of the canyon and could bring 35 people up Little Cottonwood every two minutes, according to UDOT.

I find it comical that in the YOUTUBE presentation UDOT is projecting that by 2050 the travel time on SR 210 will be 80 - 85 minutes. Exactly where are these thousands of additional skiers going to park or ski for that matter?

An engineer I know said they are off by at least a factor of 2x. There is a reason the contractors will not do a fixed price contract.

Good point about UDOT travel time estimate.

Again, they are completely ramming this down our throat under completely false pretexts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post

Way too difficult and expensive to enforce traction laws.
    I don't think that it is that hard to enforce the traction laws.

The tire stores can issues stickers to cars that meet the specs. It's a lot easier for the police to check for a sticker than tires. The police can also check the parking lots at the top and write big tickets for cars with the wrong tires.

Enforce the traction laws for the entire season and not just when it's snowing. That way people don't drive up when it's clear and get stuck at the top with the wrong tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Will there be ponies, too?
    Not just ponies but free ice cream cones and guaranteed rainbows during the ride.

Member how I said I'd get back to the collective after talking with Willie Benagas about his burial in Silver Fork?
    Never did talk to him, but he and Winslow are giving a presentation on the 2nd night of public USAW.
    So one can hear it from the pony's mouth.
    Proud of him for talking publicly about making big mistakes.