Page 91 of 112 FirstFirst ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,275 of 2790
    I give a Brighton bike park a 0% chance of happening. Brighton management seems to have zero interest in summer ops. Years ago the WAFTA guys approached them about the idea and Brighton told them they are organized as a seasonal business and a bike park (or any other major summer ops) would require major changes to their tax filing status. I'm pretty sure this is still the case since they do not even offer scenic rides in the summer.

A network of pedal-access trails up there would be totally awesome, but would probably require 10+ years of USFS red tape and SOC lawsuits. It could go a long way towards taking some pressure off the Crest.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    A network of pedal-access trails up there would be totally awesome, but would probably require 10+ years of USFS red tape and SOC lawsuits. It could go a long way towards taking some pressure off the Crest.
    Unfortunately very true.
    Crest will probably remain the sacrificial lamb while we ride heinously steep occasionally unsanctioned trails in what is clearly the best biking terrain the Wasatch has to offer.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Did the Alta-> Brighton loop today.
    Snow was firm and pretty smooth.
    Wolvy and N. Face Patsy were filled in top to bottom.
    Saw some tracks down Sunset that looked good too.
    Stuff up around top of Supreme looked good.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Just came across this classified. Alta Environmental Center Director. It seems like a dream job for the right person who may frequent here. Decent pay, medical and dental, 401K, season pass and tons of outdoor time with like-minded people.
    https://www.alta.com/jobs/alta-envir...enter-director

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 1.05.08 PM.png 
Views:	131 
Size:	435.5 KB 
ID:	419587
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Just came across this classified. Alta Environmental Center Director. It seems like a dream job for the right person who may frequent here. Decent pay, medical and dental, 401K, season pass and tons of outdoor time with like-minded people.
    https://www.alta.com/jobs/alta-envir...enter-director

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 1.05.08 PM.png 
Views:	131 
Size:	435.5 KB 
ID:	419587
    And just like that my wife is moving to Utah full time. I assume.

I just wanted to pop in to say hello and introduce myself. We're packing up and relocating to SLC (Arcadia Heights) next week and am excited to start exploring the trailheads that are right in my backyard. I've decided I should probably start mountain biking to take advantage of the beautiful area, but don't really know where to begin. It looks like I'd probably want a 'trail' bike but I could be wrong. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good bike shop that'll be able to get me setup with what I need?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyUtah801 View Post
    I just wanted to pop in to say hello and introduce myself. We're packing up and relocating to SLC (Arcadia Heights) next week and am excited to start exploring the trailheads that are right in my backyard. I've decided I should probably start mountain biking to take advantage of the beautiful area, but don't really know where to begin. It looks like I'd probably want a 'trail' bike but I could be wrong. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good bike shop that'll be able to get me setup with what I need?
    Wrong Forum JONG!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyUtah801 View Post
    Go to the Wasatch Dirt Thread in Sprocket Rockets. There is all kinds of riding here from XC to Freeride but a trail bike is probably the best choice for getting started. Go-Ride is in your neighborhood and probably a good place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Go to the Wasatch Dirt Thread in Sprocket Rockets. There is all kinds of riding here from XC to Freeride but a trail bike is probably the best choice for getting started. Go-Ride is in your neighborhood and probably a good place to start.
    Thank you. I found the Wasatch Dirt thread and will stop at Go-Ride. Looks like it is right down the street from where 2 of my kids will be going to school.

Well well well, looks like snowbird quietly picked up some land in the event that the gondola goes through

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2022/07/...oposed-little/

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    Well well well, looks like snowbird quietly picked up some land in the event that the gondola goes through

Is it a shady self serving move or a conservation effort to help alleviate pressures on the Canyon and positive visitor experience?

Personally it doesn't bother me at all and the article could be written in different ways depending on the journalists opinions or goals for reader reaction.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Some "experts" are claiming that none of this will actually matter if the lake dries up anyways. Utah might have to rethink their license plate motto's once the average snowfall in upper LCC goes from 500 inches down to 250-350 inches a season.

How devastating will it actually be if the lake dries up I wonder? Shit, I still haven't left my house since Y2K while I wait to see the computer crash and subsequent fallouts. It's gonna be any day now I swear.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    Some "experts" are claiming that none of this will actually matter if the lake dries up anyways. Utah might have to rethink their license plate motto's once the average snowfall in upper LCC goes from 500 inches down to 250-350 inches a season.

How devastating will it actually be if the lake dries up I wonder? Shit, I still haven't left my house since Y2K while I wait to see the computer crash and subsequent fallouts. It's gonna be any day now I swear.
    The loss of snowpack is only part of the problem of the lake drying up. You have to add the toxic dust clouds into the mix too.

How devastating will it actually be if the lake dries up I wonder?
    The mountains north and south of the lake get 300-350 inches/year, so it's pretty reasonable to expect a similar drop in the Central Wasatch if the lake dries up. Skiing quality will be at the bottom of the list of concerns if the GSL dries up, though. Half a million people in SLCo rely on mountain snowfall for their drinking water so a 30-40% drop in snowfall is likely to have serious consequences. There's billions of dollars worth of industry that relies on the GSL and will disappear if it dries up. Over 10 million birds from over 300 species utilize the GSL and its associated wetlands and it's the most important waypoint on the Pacific Flyway, so the GSL disappearing would be a massive ecological catastrophe with global implications. Then there's the dust issue; if you've never heard of the Owens Lake saga I'd suggest looking it up, then realize that the GSL is 15x larger and the sediments are also naturally high in arsenic.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 07-12-2022 at 11:42 AM.

The mountains north and south of the lake get 300-350 inches/year, so it's pretty reasonable to expect a similar drop in the Central Wasatch if the lake dries up. Skiing quality will be at the bottom of the list of concerns if the GSL dries up, though. Half a million people in SLCo rely on mountain snowfall for their drinking water so a 30-40% drop in snowfall is likely to have serious consequences. There's billions of dollars worth of industry that relies on the GSL and will disappear if it dries up. Over 10 million birds from over 300 species utilize the GSL and its associated wetlands and it's the most important waypoint on the Pacific Flyway, so the GSL disappearing would be a massive ecological catastrophe with global implications. Then there's the dust issue; if you've never heard of the Owens Lake saga I'd suggest looking it up.
    Well birds are gross, carry disease and shit everywhere. Maybe it's time to pipe water in from the Pacific and introduce bull sharks to help with the pesky bird problem.

Kidding aside, Utah, and really all of us in the West/Southwest regions are pretty darn F-d with a changing climate and continual rampant population boom. It's scary and totally fascinating at the same time.

I don't understand the logic of young parents that still think having big families is a good idea.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    The loss of snowpack is only part of the problem of the lake drying up. You have to add the toxic dust clouds into the mix too.

Mmmm, Arsenic filled huboobs might hurt local real estate values I imagine.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Maybe it's time to pipe water in from the Pacific...
    This was recently proposed as a way to keep water in the GSL. Seriously.

...continual rampant population boom.
    Total Fertility Rate in the US (and every other industrialized country) is below replacement level (1.64 in 2020, replacement/ZPG is 2.1). The US population is only growing because of immigration. Even in Utah these days large families are a minority, Utah's TFR was 1.92 in 2019.

This was recently proposed as a way to keep water in the GSL. Seriously.

Total Fertility Rate in the US (and every other industrialized country) is below replacement level (1.64 in 2020, replacement/ZPG is 2.1). The US population is only growing because of immigration. Even in Utah these days large families are a minority, Utah's TFR was 1.92 in 2019.
    The South West's population boom is different than the overall countries growth I bet. There's a ton of people moving here from California, NJ, and wherever else. I don't blame em, it's freaking sweet down here and up there in the SLC valley. South west Utah has become one of my most favorite places anywhere. St. George city officials and planners have big plans for that valley but I don't see it being sustainable in any way and personally I'd love to see the brakes put on some of that growth expectancy anyways.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

That's all true, but your post specifically mentioned large families.

That's all true, but your post specifically mentioned large families.
    Yeah, random thought I guess.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post

For a project like this would UDOT have the power of eminent domain?

Prof. Wasatch Weather Weenie wrote about the effect of a shrinking lake on Wasatch snowfall a few years ago. Lake effect is much less than people think it is (~5% of total snowfall at Snowbird). The lake going to zero might make the impact a bit more vs. "shrinking" when he wrote it. Would be cool if he could do an updated blog post given the changes since 2018.
    Obviously the dust and its effects would exacerbate the problem and the whole idea of toxic haboobs are for terrible to consider as well.

pshh toxic lake dust is just more nuclei for snow to condensate on. Natural Cloud Seeding.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    For a project like this would UDOT have the power of eminent domain?
    They should have the same eminent domain power they do for any other transportation project.

I wonder if the legislature has the votes to fund either alternative.

Folks are saying that the gondola is a done deal.
    Heard long ago that the unreliability of the LCC road was a reason there were no Olympic venues up there in 2002.
    Gotta wonder if there's world politics involved in this process.
    Oh yeah, go gondola!
    And to repeat myself x 10: Gotta have the infrastructure to support it.
    1) Parking for thousands of vehicles at the gravel pit.
    2) Widening of Wasatch Blvd.

Spoke to a fella I know this year works for Doppelmayr Ctec.
    Asked him to question the engineers.
    Engineers said that the company would not put out a product that couldn't move 4,500 people an hour.
    All UDOT would have to do to increase capacity from the 1,200 people an hour they advertise is to add cabins.
    Towers and cable would be ready.
    Another interesting thing the engineer said was that gondola development right now is exploding.
    In 5 years we should see lower towers, squatter cabins; a way lower profile than the images we've seen from SOC.
    In hearsay, the gravel pit owners say they have 5 more years of material to extract.
    I say stall a little. Acquire the gravel pit. Widen Wasatch Blvd.
    Horses before the carts and all...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.