Page 6 of 112 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    If things keep up at the trend, we may escape a deep PWL, fingers crossed,

Craigs forecast on the gram gave some hope!

BTW I did a thing! 5k on day one. Felt scared to start, made myself fall within the first 200 feet of skiing. Then it was on...

The training and long hours in the gym paid off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20211023_213416001.MP.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	157.7 KB 
ID:	390303
    You took too much man, too much, too much

OH and also, I found a pair of gloves on the ramp road on my out Saturday night, if you know the owner with a description, id like to return them! or equally keep them haha, pretty nice ones..
    You took too much man, too much, too much

Quote Originally Posted by D-Roc View Post
    If things keep up at the trend, we may escape a deep PWL, fingers crossed,

Craigs forecast on the gram gave some hope!

BTW I did a thing! 5k on day one. Felt scared to start, made myself fall within the first 200 feet of skiing. Then it was on...

Name:	PXL_20211023_213416001.MP.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	157.7 KB 
ID:	390303
    Glad to see you back out there!

Quote Originally Posted by D-Roc View Post

Nice one, man! You did more than us. Wish we had crossed paths

Pretty encouraging snowpack to start the season.
    All 12" of it.
    Warm and saturated to the ground at all elevations.
    With rain turning to snow in the forecast.
    Picture book for future stability.
    Long as it keeps snowing...
    Even if it don't, and we go cold and dry, gonna take some time to turn frozen mank into facets.
    Great base in the meantime.

Yeah D-Roc.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Yep. I heard Craig Gorden reporting from BCC yesterday. Great start. We will see what happened overnight and will happen today. At least there is no sugar which will cause slide to ground.
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 10-26-2021 at 08:35 AM.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

FYI Alta is closed to uphill traffic today. There is access via summer road to Catherine’s pass for terrain not inside Alta’s boundaries

Trying to think of a low-ish angle slope to ski on today with decent coverage. Will I get yelled at for skiing Powderhorn? How's coverage on Patsy?

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Trying to think of a low-ish angle slope to ski on today with decent coverage. Will I get yelled at for skiing Powderhorn? How's coverage on Patsy?
    Regarding PH - not sure if they have the "backcountry conditions, ride at your own risk" signs in the lot - if they do, you're good, despite whatever the website says. If those signs aren't there and you get spotted you'll get yelled at, but it's pretty easy to do PH laps without getting spotted. Not sure if I'd ski PH with low snow though - I don't think it's that smooth underneath and the wind pulls snow off the edge of diamond lane (that corner above Apex has rocks exposed all season) - but someone has put a track in the last couple storms so maybe it's better than I'm thinking.

^ welcome back d-roc. fyi snowbird: uphill travel is no longer permitted and will remain closed for winter preparation and maintenance. soft turns at brighton this am. about 6-7”. digski is right though, got yelled at as well last fall skiing ph, but it can be done

Was a bit confused when I saw the craig gordon bcc post. Anyone want to explain why the current base wont necessarily become a PWL problem? Don't know that much about avvy science, but assumed that the following were indicia of problems:

1) rapid warming and rain in the days before this storm
    2) prolonged period of temperatures near and above freezing for a week+ after this storm.
    3) little significant snowfall for a week+ after this storm.

With the obvious caveat that 2 & 3 can change....

Name:	opensnow.JPG 
Views:	1384 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	390407

Quote Originally Posted by wasatch_carpetbagger View Post
    Was a bit confused when I saw the craig gordon bcc post. Anyone want to explain why the current base wont necessarily become a PWL problem? Don't know that much about avvy science, but assumed that the following were indicia of problems:

2) prolonged period of temperatures near and above freezing for a week+ after this storm.

Name:	opensnow.JPG 
Views:	1384 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	390407
    i'm thinking he was talking about no weak layers within the current snowpack we have as well as what we get w this storm (should bond well) as opposed to last year when we had sugar to the ground as our weak layer. moving forward things could change if we stay high and dry over the next week or more obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatch_carpetbagger View Post

i'm no expert but here is my take

- the current snowpack is right side up, with 1f snow towards the bottom of it and softer snow near the top of it. in upper little we have 50-70cm of snow, which is decent for late october. not only that, but:

- recent rain events have strengthened the snowpack, bringing moisture to it
    - diurnal temperature swings (clear, cold nights and warm, sunny days) haven't been too much of a thing - the issue isn't it being warm, it's a temperature/moisture gradient that causes faceting.

NOW, looking forward, the hope is that the current snowpack is so saturated that it takes a while to facet - faceting is moisture moving across a shallow temperature gradient from high vapor pressure (ground) to low vapor pressure (clear, dry night sky). the snow on the ground WILL facet if we move into high pressure, but the hope is that because it is so wet, it will be at least delayed.

if my understanding is wrong please help me out here - articulating this helps me understand this better, and i'm trying my damnedest to be optimistic here.

Alta uphill open again.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    NOW, looking forward, the hope is that the current snowpack is so saturated that it takes a while to facet - faceting is moisture moving across a shallow temperature gradient from high vapor pressure (ground) to low vapor pressure (clear, dry night sky). the snow on the ground WILL facet if we move into high pressure, but the hope is that because it is so wet, it will be at least delayed.
    Thanks - I was missing the part about saturated snow taking longer to facet....

SurfyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20211026_145426.jpeg 
Views:	189 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	390429

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    SurfyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20211026_145426.jpeg 
Views:	189 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	390429
    Don't look at the towers.
    Look at the space between the towers.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Yep. Today was good.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

I bet. I'm headed in for a quick lap in the A.M.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

The parking lot closed sign at the top of Collins lot ramp didn’t seem to work this AM.
    Wind’s done it’s work up there, but for October turns no complaints.
    Well except for the car with SC and Georgia Tech plates and summer tires who thought parking 3 deep and boxing me in was a good move…

Name:	IMG_4184.JPG 
Views:	227 
Size:	275.2 KB 
ID:	390509

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Name:	855DD328-44E6-4F31-B2CB-DAE00F4DFB34.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	284.3 KB 
ID:	390527

Name:	D7DC2BC3-3602-4007-A86B-63E752DE5ED7.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	248.3 KB 
ID:	390528

So happy to crack my Oct. ‘21 cherry at Alta this morning

Little birdie told me the guys that own the mining claims in Cardiff fork and the Cardiff snowboard company obtained guiding permits to run a catski and snowmobile tours in Cardiff fork this winter.

Any truth to this Benneke10? Anyone else heard about this?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

I just don't get who would want to go cat skiing there. A place that is thoroughly tracked out before, during, and after storms and can be reached in 30 minutes to 1.5 hours of skinning.

Should an operation ever get off the ground there will be a lot of pissed off clients that were tricked into thinking they would get untracked skiing.
    Last edited by paj; 10-28-2021 at 09:01 PM.
    Hamme one dem beers

Quote Originally Posted by paj View Post
    I just don't get who would want to go cat skiing there. A place that is thoroughly tracked out before, during, and after snowstorms and can be reached in 30 minutes to 1.5 hours of skinning.

Should an operation ever get off the ground there will be a lot of pissed off clients that were tricked into thinking they would get untracked skiing.
    TBH, I don't think a cat could access most of the terrain in Cardiff fork. There's an old mining road up George's but i don't think they get too far in upper cardiff, certainly not to any ridgelines worth skiing from. The bigger issue is snowmobile tours in my opinion.

Hopefully, it's not true.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
    Last edited by brutah; 10-29-2021 at 07:25 AM.

The USFS has certainly not issued any permits for snowmobile/cat guided operations in Cardiff. The motorized access situation up there is complicated but the deal is that land owners have exclusive access to use motorized vehicles *on designated roads* on USFS lands in Cardiff, and in exchange the land owners allow the public to cross their lands *on designated roads and trails.* At this point neither group sticks to this agreement, but there is no way the USFS would permit any kind of commercial snowmobiling/catting. The current agreement expires in a few months, we'll see what happens next...

Name:	cardiff.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	329.4 KB 
ID:	390746

Everything that isn't shaded green is privately owned, so if the agreement between the land owners and the FS falls apart we could see some new gates and fences getting built. Hopefully that doesn't happen.