Page 56 of 112 FirstFirst ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 2790
    Anyone been up gobbler's recently? If it isn't a trade secret how's the snow? Thinking of heading up there tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    gnar muted. I've skied that ridge down to strawberry but was pretty spooked climbing along it as most of the other side went down into the abyss (or so it felt like it) into mountain green.
    Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Strong work muted. That ridge traverse is sketch. Did you ski coyote?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I didn't traverse the ridge, I booted up a north facing chute that topped out near the start of the run to avoid the ridge traverse. I didn't boot up the correct chute though so I had to do some scrambling/traversing.

Is the chute from the peak in the last pic called Coyote? If so yes I skied it. I don't know all the names there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    Anyone been up gobbler's recently? If it isn't a trade secret how's the snow? Thinking of heading up there tomorrow.
    Wasn't bad last weekend. Hoping it will be warm enough for corn again this weekend. Getting there is a pain, Butler is icy and has a couple bare patches, Mill-A looks like it has some dry walking required.

I heard there was a fatality at solitude yesterday…..bummer

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10 View Post
    I was in porter fork on tuesday.... untracked shady north-facing slopes were still skiing well, but probably hard to find untracked snow at this point (it was on Tuesday). The NW face of gobblers didn't look very appetizing from afar, wind-scoured up high on Bobslid, Cabin Run, etc. But I bet there's good snow around that area if you get creative.

Keep your expectations low and you'll probably have a good time.

Damn it sucks everywhere is in this dry spell except Taos apparently. At least when the spigot turns back on your plows will be ready.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plows.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	328.8 KB 
ID:	404373
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    I was in porter fork on tuesday.... untracked shady north-facing slopes were still skiing well, but probably hard to find untracked snow at this point (it was on Tuesday). The NW face of gobblers didn't look very appetizing from afar, wind-scoured up high on Bobslid, Cabin Run, etc. But I bet there's good snow around that area if you get creative.

Keep your expectations low and you'll probably have a good time.
    Thanks, and thanks also benneke. With that in mind I think we'll probably just try to find some protected N facing snow and not summit gobs (unless it looks better from nearer). I was surprised how easily we found untracked snow in upper cardiff last weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Wasn't bad last weekend. Hoping it will be warm enough for corn again this weekend. Getting there is a pain, Butler is icy and has a couple bare patches, Mill-A looks like it has some dry walking required.
    If you approach Gobbs from BCC you're not allowed to complain. I'd rather skin an extra 1000' and avoid heat stroke or bare patches coming in from Millcreek.
    That is the way.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    If you approach Gobbs from BCC you're not allowed to complain. I'd rather skin an extra 1000' and avoid heat stroke or bare patches coming in from Millcreek.
    That is the way.
    Thanks for the roast. That is what I did Saturday and what I plan to do again tomorrow, just wanted to save others from near-death experience exiting Butler

Thanks for the roast. That is what I did Saturday and what I plan to do again tomorrow, just wanted to save others from near-death experience exiting Butler
    I'll be the slow guy you pass on the skintrack

Name:  utah-doasnowstorm.jpg
Views: 1199
Size:  31.7 KB

I learned the hard way, taking the Butler bridge too fast after the luge-track section and airing into the uphill section of the creek bank a few times. Damn near fell in said creek at the ice-and-dirt section, dealt with the most horrendous glop crossing millA while getting burned to a crisp...
    What's not to love? To be fair the Porter exit can be sporty as fuck and the approach is quite a slog. At least you're in the shade the whole time and get to see the Gobbs face early on.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

The Porter trail is solid ice right now. I plan to exit Alexander or further up tomorrow, would be very hard to stop if you encounter someone going uphill

The Porter trail is solid ice right now. I plan to exit Alexander or further up tomorrow, would be very hard to stop if you encounter someone going uphill
    IMO that's part of the fun... Not.

Couple years back partner and I were hauling ass out of there on jello legs after a huge days on Gobbs. We came out of the luge track by the first cabin and there was a party of 4 sitting in the middle of the 90-degree right turn, admiring the scenery and talking about the rad day they were about to have. They saw (and heard) us coming from a mile away but didn't think of getting out of the way. Right as we entered the turn their dog came out of nowhere and ran at us. Partner on a splitboard reacted instinctively to avoid cutting the canine in half, caught an edge, and slammed his melon straight into the ice. He slid into the 4-some who got all grumbly about their tips getting scratched (probably) and their dog getting scared. I let them have it, collected my buddy who was massively disoriented, and high-tailed his concussed ass out of there.

Morale of the story: exit Alexander, it will suck but you're less likely to kill someone.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I heard there was a fatality at solitude yesterday…..bummer

Yes there was. A surgeon. They were skiing expert level terrain, went over a cliff and died from blunt force trauma.

Father of 3, so very sad

Damn, that's tragic.

Bit late but Main Gobbler was some of the best snow of the day last weekend and surprisingly untouched. It's not blower, and it's not perfectly creamy settled powder, but it wasn't too windjacked or sunfked. Everything non-solar off the whole mc/bcc ridge is a good candidate for best in the range right now probably.

Quote Originally Posted by googledidoo View Post
    Yes there was. A surgeon. They were skiing expert level terrain, went over a cliff and died from blunt force trauma.
    2 Deaths last few weeks that were likely caused by icy routes.

Be extra careful out there ya'll
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Where was everybody? We saw exactly 0 people!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

In LCC, apparently. Snowbird was way busier today than last Saturday. Icy, too. Fun was had but it was A-game snow for sure.

Looks great!

Nice finds jtran!

Great views, beautiful day:
    Name:  WlWLPCl.png
Views: 962
Size:  695.3 KB
    Beautiful chute, sustained low 40s. I was a little nervous going up because it was pretty icy, but felt confident once on skis! Nice step forward for me.
    Name:  Uk3Pv3v.jpeg
Views: 958
Size:  197.7 KB
    And an awesome choke at the bottom:
    Name:  2w4z5sh.jpeg
Views: 954
Size:  183.8 KB

Oooh I've skied that one, it's a good one and a bit tricky to find the entrance.

Heard on the lift today that some guy fell off cirque traverse and broke both femurs. Brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by googledidoo View Post
    I heard it was on evergreen chutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 123ski View Post
    I heard it was on evergreen chutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Also heard the same, perhaps from the same source.

Saw another person getting rescued from a slide over the cliffs on the milk / parachute zig zag today. Didn't hear a chopper, so I think they were ok-ish, but Milk gates were closed the rest of the day.