Page 4 of 112 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Just to clarify, the GMD Saloon is closed to all but hotel guests for the entirety of the year?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDingleberry View Post
    pissing in a sink? fucking rookies. Shit in an oven, then you'll be pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Has anyone ever gone to the swap at the fair grounds? I need a few things and want to avoid the PC chaos if a viable option exists.
    What do you need? The Black Diamond gear swap this saturday will probably have better deals, I know I will be there with several other mags

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    Heard some sad news on the UT BC Ski facebook group. RIP Farmer Dave. Shoulda spooned my tracks on WR instead of 8s.

It's the end of an era. Sad but as mentioned he lived a good and simple life. I love how this edit shows his lifestyle and how it relates to his turn farming. Legend for sure.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Always wondered how he was able to farm all that pow w/o some ass hole jumping in there and ruining it (not that it was really 'his' to begin with).

Long time lurker here but I just want to give a big shout out to Tuco for helping me repair a massive edge compression/delam on a split board over the summer. Thought that thing was dunzo after I smoked some fat rocks on Superior last season.

Hoping for many more days like this one this season...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200205233455_IMG_0226-01.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	707.2 KB 
ID:	389530

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by monkeywrenchMoose View Post
    Just to clarify, the GMD Saloon is closed to all but hotel guests for the entirety of the year?
    Yeah. They started doing apres for guests down there instead of the 3rd floor restaurant. It allowed them to serve liquor down there, allows the guests to stay at apres longer, and doesn't make it so servers have only a half hour to get food, eat, and flip the entire dining room from apres to dinner... among other reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    Yeah. They started doing apres for guests down there instead of the 3rd floor restaurant. It allowed them to serve liquor down there, allows the guests to stay at apres longer, and doesn't make it so servers have only a half hour to get food, eat, and flip the entire dining room from apres to dinner... among other reasons.
    Aah, 30 minutes is a super quick turn around time indeed. Glad they don’t have to do that anymore. Among other reasons… they don’t want dirtbags spreading out all over the floor anymore? It got pretty damn chaotic in there sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    Always wondered how he was able to farm all that pow w/o some ass hole jumping in there and ruining it (not that it was really 'his' to begin with).
    Wondered that too. Also wondered if anyone else ever added to his art after he was done? Figured some cool add on patterns could have been made.

Last year I only saw his work on gun tower hill, and just boot up the lookers right ropeline above the ho gate above punch bowl, saved lots of lift rides.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

nice seeing all the GMD saloon discussion. hope to see a maggot team or two at Tuesday Two Dollar Texas Tallboy Trivia at some point this season, best way to advocate for making more nights open to the public is to come for a beer and some pizza!
    Last edited by Lone Star; 10-19-2021 at 05:21 PM.

The guy is at it again.

Name:	eddies.JPG 
Views:	214 
Size:	204.6 KB 
ID:	389592

sweet skinner

i dont see much value in trying to downplay even overblown avalanche concerns but....

not sure if references to Jamie Pierre's accidents and photos of what appear to be long running sluffs presented in the caption as something more serious, in our current conditions, are particularly helpful. the Jamie Pierre day was a whole 'nother thing and while our current snow could create that in a month, the Jamie Pierre kind of day is not what we are experiencing right now.... at all.

Name:	h4SclCE.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	797.9 KB 
ID:	389666
    Good times at Alta last night.
    I've been noticing people poaching Snowbird, including some prominent semi-pros I know. Is there any punishment for getting caught skiing up there this early in the season?

Name:	44043C45-8BDF-49D2-94A0-262519AE5492.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	308.5 KB 
ID:	389670

Name:	F7660451-A0FD-4327-860F-3908518799EE.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	336.9 KB 
ID:	389671
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Serious question, while it’s obviously nice to be getting out on some snow so early, this can’t be a good thing for mid season BC? Sorry for the anti stoke

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Serious question, while it’s obviously nice to be getting out on some snow so early, this can’t be a good thing for mid season BC? Sorry for the anti stoke
    If we stay in an active pattern things could be fine. If there's an extended dry spell in November/December we'll be making a lot of low-angle turns for a while when it starts snowing again. The 9-16 day outlook isn't terrible so cross your fingers it continues: http://wxmaps.org/outlooks.php

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post

I've been noticing people poaching Snowbird, including some prominent semi-pros I know. Is there any punishment for getting caught skiing up there this early in the season?
    Snowbird website says uphill is currently allowed, FYI.

I've been marveling at the speed that I'm seeing some of the lines at Alta skied - granted, seeing these lines skied "for the gram" so likely not everyone sending it like there's no tomorrow, but the collins stake is still at like 2 ft. WTF!

^^ the grump and old-ish-timer in me agrees. Did you see that video from the dudes skiing North Rustler and through the Nest?!

On the other hand... it is a very friendly and dense 2 ft of snow (4+ inches of water content) and proper summer scouting could let people ski some pretty neat stuff right now.... not that I believe that is what is guiding most folks' decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    ^^ the grump and old-ish-timer in me agrees. Did you see that video from the dudes skiing North Rustler and through the Nest?!

On the other hand... it is a very friendly and dense 2 ft of snow (4+ inches of water content) and proper summer scouting could let people ski some pretty neat stuff right now.... not that I believe that is what is guiding most folks' decisions.
    thedailypow seems to like to post videos of people charging early season regardless of any other factors

just looking at the webcams today though some of the line choices down high boy, backside, etc seem like real rock gardens to me. but I like my skis and knees and am not even in SLC right now so wtf do I know

oh yep that's the video. straight through the steep part of the nest like there's a 60" base

And a few years ago one of the daily pow brothers broke his ankle skiing in the nest pre season. But I guess they’ve got to get the footie!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    i dont see much value in trying to downplay even overblown avalanche concerns but....

not sure if references to Jamie Pierre's accidents and photos of what appear to be long running sluffs presented in the caption as something more serious, in our current conditions, are particularly helpful. the Jamie Pierre day was a whole 'nother thing and while our current snow could create that in a month, the Jamie Pierre kind of day is not what we are experiencing right now.... at all.
    Happened on my watch.
    Beginning of the end of my career at the bird.
    Long story as most are.
    RIP Jamie
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

A three year old Article and video on impact of dust from great sale lake effecting snow pack.
    https://www.ksl.com/article/46453307...w-u-study-says
    Is it really the color of the dust, or the salt content? I wonder what the effect will be in the immediate future, since we had so little snow and precipitation. this past year?
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix