Page 22 of 112 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    I’m wondering how this will impact my kids early morning training at snowbird. F the road is clogged w cars waiting to get into the Alta lot at 8…..what time do I need to leave to get my kids clicked in at gad valley by 6:40?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    F the road is clogged w cars waiting to get into the Alta lot at 8…..what time do I need to leave to get my kids clicked in at gad valley by 6:40?
    This is the part I don't get and am wondering about. Those of us trying to get to the bird at a reasonable time are just gonna be stuck in non-moving traffic as alta folks are forced to just sit idle on the road until 8? Like what?

I know their website says "dedicated early morning parking area", but sounds like you could park in the "early morning" lot during the week for free, after 8am, then go ski at Alta, with no paid parking for that day. At which point, the BC user parking could get even more limited if even available at all. Not sure what the signage will say, or about enforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by boardtodeath View Post
    This is the part I don't get and am wondering about. Those of us trying to get to the bird at a reasonable time are just gonna be stuck in non-moving traffic as alta folks are forced to just sit idle on the road until 8? Like what?
    That's the problem with this whole thing. There's no way they should let cars intentionally back up on the road as that is a major safety issue. Yes I know it happens all the time already but intentionally making it happen is a whole 'nother ball of wax.

Quote Originally Posted by boardtodeath View Post
    I'm guessing many Alta skiers will be sitting in the Snowbird free parking until 8am on big pow days, so you will be circling the lot at SB until people leave.

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    ...and stinking up the Alta Lodge and DPH bathrooms with their 10am post-backcountry deuce.
    that's just wrong. either on the skin track or wait till you get home ffs.

A saying thats been bouncing around in my head of late is 'The days are long but the years are short'. Seems like just a few years had passed since I was working at the OG snowpine while parking wherever I wanted to and then I look at a calendar and see that it was more than 10 years ago. The idea that a org who relies on public lands for their business model can control and monetize access to adjacent public lands is absurd to me but I no longer live there and don't have as much invested as others in this thread so i've kept my thoughts to myself up to now. In my mind as long as the state of UT and its taxpaying public is maintaining, clearing, and controlling the road the public should be afforded access to public lands. Tell Alta/Bird that if public access to public lands is going to be restricted above the USFS lots that all infrastructure maintenance and upkeep above that point is their fiscal responsibility.

Things like paid parking everywhere in LCC, fast tracks access at the bird, and limited/removed access to dawn patrol touring would have resulted in pitchforks and torches 10 years ago, now it is some online whining and a feedback campaign. What fresh hell will trying to ski in LCC (without a room at a lodge or some other economic gate) be like 10 years from now?
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    Not to sound flippant about the need for a gondola in the LCC, but...
    Parking and more importantly safety are real issues.
    And y'all are bitching about parking.
    No one has said: "ride the bus".
    Be part of the solution. Not part of the whine.
    Understand dawn patrol anxiety.
    And pray for a gondola that operates 24/7 with max capacity at peak hours.
    If 90% of the LCC visitors are on it, it will not be an eyesore.
    It will be a world class view of spectacular scenery. Above treetop. No stress.
    Do we really want the 3 hour red snake instead?
    The future is now...
    Gondola seems like a much worse idea than a proper Bus system.

-Gondy funnels all users to the same parking lot.. and it cannot hold enough cars to dent road/parking issues.

-Government insiders bought up the proposed land and thought they could railroad this massive project by taxpayers-it is an insult to the local population. >If they want to privately fund it? that could be a fine addition but not a total solution either way.

-50 min ride on Gondy? > I been using bus for a few years .. it's like 35 mins on a non pow or weekend fest
    If there were enough busses during peak hours..and parking for bus riders at those lots it could be a real easy button to get up canyon.

- Driving or Bussing to a gondy lot ...then a 50 min ride on a gondola (+ waiting on line there on a busy day) makes it a seriously long day , compared to hopping on a Bus and getting delivered right to the Lift.
    -
    PROBLEM> The main Bus stops are a total shitshow on busy days. There is no room at those lots to properly launch a larger Bus campaign as its designed.

- So, to make a dent in traffic from what I see> is dedicated Busses for the main stops /canyons...while the local Bus lines still grab population from their various stops around SLC area. And build avalanche sheds in the worst areas of the road (that's needed either way) to relax road closures when its nuking snow. Dedicate a bus lane up canyon.

ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Quote Originally Posted by soul_skier View Post
    Things like paid parking everywhere in LCC, fast tracks access at the bird, and limited/removed access to dawn patrol touring would have resulted in pitchforks and torches 10 years ago, now it is some online whining and a feedback campaign. What fresh hell will trying to ski in LCC (without a room at a lodge or some other economic gate) be like 10 years from now?
    You know, this thought crossed my mind last night… A staged walk or ride up the canyon from the base, letting no vehicles pass. Alta would get the picture real quick when their bottom line takes a hit.

Soul, my gears are turning if Backcountry Hunters and Anglers can begin any campaign here, but I think I need to try to get in contact with the head of WBA for a bigger conversation here.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by soul_skier View Post
    What fresh hell will trying to ski in LCC (without a room at a lodge or some other economic gate) be like 10 years from now?
    Nothing to worry about, the gondi will have fixed everything by then

The Soli parking lot i guess has a film crew up there with like 8 to 10 travel trailers taking up a good chunk of the parking lot.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Maybe that is why they have 4 trails open compared to like 70 at Alta.

Oh wait, I think that they are there to present me with the ugly sweater that I am going to win tonight.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by fantastic_damage View Post
    The Soli parking lot i guess has a film crew up there with like 8 to 10 travel trailers taking up a good chunk of the parking lot.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    Saw that on the cam, what's the deal, is Lindsay Vonn filming something again? (they shut down the village lot for a few days last season for her to film some weird fashion thing)

Quote Originally Posted by DigSki View Post
    Saw that on the cam, what's the deal, is Lindsay Vonn filming something again? (they shut down the village lot for a few days last season for her to film some weird fashion thing)
    It's a Netflix Lindsay Lohan movie, her comeback special.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/l...ie-1235111119/

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    It's a Netflix Lindsay Lohan movie, her comeback special.

https://variety.com/2021/film/news/l...ie-1235111119/
    Ms. Lohan is such a naughty, train wreck of a girl. Don't judge but..........me likey.
    Last edited by raisingarizona13; 12-10-2021 at 05:28 PM.
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Yummm.
    She and Rachel McAdams should have switched rolls in Mean Girls.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Yummm.
    She and Rachel McAdams should have switched rolls in Mean Girls.
    giggidy giggidy
    dirtbag, not a dentist

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1639182868.894230.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	160.8 KB 
ID:	396150
    The delayed opening was tough with the cold temps, but mega deep day out there.

Lotta angst out there. Maybe good reason. Maybe not.
    Future's not set in stone, boys, but the times have changed, not are a 'changin.
    Alta Ski Area is a business and they need parking. Maybe y'all haven't noticed how many folks not buying lift tickets are taking up the parking stalls of those that are...
    Wasn't a problem back when. Sure is now. What to do?
    Solution for dawn patrol:
    Write the Uintah Wasatch Cache National Forest and ask for backcountry access parking at the head of the LCC. For fuck's sake they own most of the land up there. Surely there is a way. While you're at it, ask for expansion of the White Pine lot. Moving east from the existing lot there is room for twenty times the number of cars currently.
    Never seen a too large FS parking lot. Always undersized.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Adding a 1 or 2 level parking deck above all existing lots at resorts will solve this cluster fuck of a problem without compromising the integrity of the canyon.... However the crappy tram is supposed to be paid for dump that money into building parking decks for resorts instead so resorts aren't stuck with the bill...IMO this is a win win....nobody has to look at a stupid tram, parking is essentially doubled or tripled, cars are funneled off the road faster, never have to plow the lower decks....How are parking decks/garages not the obvious solution here?

sorry to contribute to all the whining,...will post stoke soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mar123 View Post
    How are parking decks/garages not the obvious solution here?
    so resorts aren't stuck with the bill.
    alta bird is not spending a dime to fix this solution, rather they are generating revenue off not fixing it.

For the angsty: there's only one thing left to do...

OG's -

Nkotb's -

There's so many of us...

seems that the strategy is working.
    nostalgia is for the weak.

went bell to bell. front rows weren’t necessary for a beautiful chunk of the day.
    guess i don’t miss the marginal.

Mike M wanted to build a parking garage at Alta. FS said no.