Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pon aquires Dorel

https://www.mbr.co.uk/news/pon-buys-...uBUDL9nTuc5dfU

Pon Holdings (Santa Cruz Bikes, Focus, Cervélo etc) has acquired the bike division of Dorel Industries (Cannondale, GT, Mongoose etc) in a deal that possibly makes it the biggest bike company on the planet.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    https://www.mbr.co.uk/news/pon-buys-...uBUDL9nTuc5dfU

Pon Holdings (Santa Cruz Bikes, Focus, Cervélo etc) has acquired the bike division of Dorel Industries (Cannondale, GT, Mongoose etc) in a deal that possibly makes it the biggest bike company on the planet.
    Biggest thing I took away from the press release....70% of Pon Holdings sales are e-bikes. When you look at the price of an e-bike, I guess that makes sense from a revenue standpoint...but shit. I didn't know they were that popular world wide.

Seems like a smart move timing wise, assuming there is value in the purchase. When can we get a Cannondale branded e-bike with a one sided front fork?
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

E-bikes are only going to get huge'er so probably a good acquisition, maybe i should have put this in the E-bike thread ?

IME other than the strut bolts loosening cuz the factory didnt torque them properly the 140mm lefty with SPV worked very well

but i don't think proprietary parts are a good idea on a bike

E-bikes are only going to get huge'er so probably a good acquisition, maybe i should have put this in the E-bike thread ?

IME other than the strut bolts loosening cuz the factory didnt torque them properly the 140mm lefty with SPV worked very well

but i don't think proprietary parts are a good idea on a bike
    Haha...I was mostly joking. Pretty sure that ship has sailed.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Hopefully this means Cannondale can re-sign Tinker Juarez

You can still buy a lefty on the Scalpel which is a super light xc racer but I think the lefty turns off more people than it attracts to be quite honest

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    When can we get a Cannondale branded e-bike with a one sided front fork?
    The day has already come https://www.cannondale.com/en-us/bik...efty-1-c62171m

I used to get the funny comment when people noticed the lefty so I would deadpan "Oh fuck the right fork leg is gone ! "

Cannondale’s hardon for propriety shit makes me look away from any potential purchase immediately and reflexively

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Cannondale’s hardon for propriety shit makes me look away from any potential purchase immediately and reflexively
    They make great road bikes. CAAD series are some of the best ever, especially when they were made in the US. Most of their road stuff isn't as funky

Back in the day their slalom rider that crazy french guy whose name escapes me won a dual slalom world championship using a bike avec lefty, apparently he only broke 2

I had 2 C-dales a Prophet and a CAAD 7 a big part of it was cuz cannondale gave the best shop deals. Also when they made the bikes stateside C-dale would kick out bikes on a pretty good discount in the fall, so it wasnt like a bike that comes to NA from Taiwan in a seacan, you could just order whatever was leftover/ on sale, they would just ship it from down east, it arrives in a few weeks. By the time my CAAD 7 got all the way narth the price had actualy gone down from the price quoted at order time it and I ended up paying half price

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    They make great road bikes. CAAD series are some of the best ever, especially when they were made in the US. Most of their road stuff isn't as funky
    Understood. But today the difference between big bike brands is splitting hairs. Not saying Cdale is the only one doing proprietary stuff - but it’s just easier to scroll past and not have to figure out which models of theirs is gonna be a headache 3-4 years down the road.

I don't think there is any proprietary stuff on a CAAD frame, not like a lefty

I think the brakes on my CAAD might be Cannondale brand

https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/...ike-companies/

another artical

I noticed that 70% ebike number too, which is surprising. Are there starting to be rental e-bike fleets in major cities in Europe and/or Asia? I could see that being a huge market. Most eBikes I see are neighborhood cruiser types pedal assist or some throttle based. Seeing a few more on the trails.

Have a few friends (mostly high level XC) who are big Cannondale riders and both of their latest Downcountry bikes sporting RS SID selects. As mentioned their road frames are fantastic, the CAAD series ride better than many carbon bikes I've ridden.

My 2nd mtb back in the early 80's was a cannondale 24/26 with full suntour groupo before shimano was a thing. Suntour pedals, hubs, stem, riser bar, seatpost, ders, and "cunningham designs" labeled power cams. Mountain trials they called them. Didnt crack on me but they had that rep. Friend went through countless red shreds. One every year for years. They kept sending them to him.
    People saying they might concentrate the mtb division to gt and c dale will be road bikes. I think Pon owns focus too. SC, focus, gt and c dale all selling quite a few E's , shimano and bosch

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I don't think there is any proprietary stuff on a CAAD frame, not like a lefty

I think the brakes on my CAAD might be Cannondale brand

https://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/...ike-companies/

another artical
    again I can distill my argument to: why bother researching or risking it - I seriously doubt that recent cdale products are that extra special vs other major brands

Their mtb line up is pretty good these days. No crazy proprietary stuff. Host link, modern geo but not overboard on it, decent price. Enduro bike has the mid hp design. Looks more refined than gt. Maybe c dale waited too long to just be normal as not crazy mtb sales figures. Rat boy /5010 should be bringing the next generation in

If the argument is “we’re no longer as weird as we used to be and some of our bikes are pretty equivalent to the less weird brands” I’m going to still pass. If I’m missing out on some gem that would drastically increase my joy on the roads/trails so be it. I’ll have saved time for riding without having to investigate if the bike in question has weird hard to fix/replace parts. They made their bed and they have their fans. They’re doing well without me.

If the argument is “we’re no longer as weird as we used to be and some of our bikes are pretty equivalent to the less weird brands” I’m going to still pass.
    That's pretty much it.

I've ridden some of their newer stuff a bit. It was fine. Generally similar to a bunch of other stuff on the market. I wouldn't talk someone out of a c-dale these days, but there are plenty of roughly equivalent bikes produced by brands that don't change ownership every couple of years.

Some of their MTB and gravel bikes have proprietary rear hubs which is infuriating. Maybe the acquisition will standardize some of their spec choices.

didn't they have weird chainlines and shit like that

who wants to deal with that? and if you're buying a second hand bike the seller isn't likely to be like "hey heads up this bike has a weird standard so you'll struggle down the line with finding parts or jigging work arounds" so it's on you to research - ain't nobody got time for that no matter how special a 2014 caad road frame with rim brakes was back in the day

Just sayin. Who knows maybe their quality control and/or cs sux, idk. Bikes can be hard to find and there is a few making hp bikes now but only a few. The enduro bike strikes a nice balance and has great lines. I do question any company that has resorted to selling bikes at mec though, intense for one

Not particularly a huge c-dale fan myself, but the wheel thing isn’t a true proprietary compatibility problem. Some latter XC only bikes (maybe?) use a 142mm rear hub dished a bit differently. So Scalpel and FSI I believe, don’t think their trail/enduro bikes did that. Still not direct bolt-up as it’ll require some work, but isn’t a new standard like the super boost bullshit that Pivot, Trek others have done.

Pretty sure that’s not applicable to any year of road bikes I’m aware of.

Anyway back to beating dead horse for the real C-dale haters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t hate any bike brands. That’s a waste of energy.

Well maybe specialized for their hair trigger lawyers going after small businesses with roubaix in their name. That is worth hating.

didn't they have weird chainlines and shit like that

who wants to deal with that? and if you're buying a second hand bike the seller isn't likely to be like "hey heads up this bike has a weird standard so you'll struggle down the line with finding parts or jigging work arounds" so it's on you to research - ain't nobody got time for that no matter how special a 2014 caad road frame with rim brakes was back in the day
    or maybe they give you herpes but really it sounds like you don't really know

how do we get this far into a C-dale thread and nobody has said "crack n fail " have they finaly shed that moniker ?